Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shmurda

Leo ought to make a video on environmental collapse

13 posts in this topic

It's in the title. Leo's all over Covid-19 awareness. He's got videos about society, corruption and systems of government. Where's the video about the single greatest threat to our existence as a species?

He's read Ecodharma (booklist) and you don't have to look as far as that to see how much of a massive and wide reaching problem this is. 

Leo, if this video is in the works, that's great and I look forward to it. 

Divest from the conceptual. Experience the actual.

There is a lot of material out there to scare, shock and shame people into environmental change. It doesn't work. What we need is more inspiration for environmental change.

Ironically if Leo made his how to get a hot witch girlfriend video it would probably do more good for the environment than a lot of the other stuff out there aiming at that. We need more people to truly connect and fall in love with nature. Teaching spirituality and getting more people to become aware that what they seek is true contentment is much more effective than reiterating the fact that environmental destruction is a massive problem. Also all the stuff about society and government is all part of working toward the mindset shift that is necessary to really mitigate and stop environmental destruction. More awareness isn't working, we need inspired change. Just my opinion. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@mandyjw thanks that's a great response. I see what you mean about a mindset shift from inner work without being so explicit about how fucked situation is. 

Nonetheless, I feel like a lot of us still have this idea that "theres something going on but maybe we'll find our way out of it and society will persevere" and we just leave it at that. In a few videos Leo refers to climate change and says things like "we've done some pretty incredible things before so maybe humanity will find a way around this one". 

Imo this is just patently not the case. We're bracing for disaster here and the vast majority of people are either ill-informed or unwilling to face up to the truth. If we're intentionally avoiding something because it's too painful, then that is contrary to spiritual practice. We must face the truth of our situation and not to do so is unconscious. 

2 hours ago, Shmurda said:

We must face the truth of our situation and not to do so is unconscious. 

Is "the truth" whatever gets you aroused?

By all means inform yourself. But reading or saying things like "greatest threat" or "collapse" is not informing yourself or anyone else. If you were informed, you could me much more specific. When will this collapse occur? What will be the mechanism? And most importantly: how would it be avoided? What steps would be sufficient or insufficient alone or in combination?

Do you think climate change is magic? If not, you must know on some level it's about numbers. Know the numbers, speak the numbers! Otherwise all you're doing is peddling BS, same as most politicians and ideologues.

@commie Hey. Yeah sure there's a lot of info out there and a lot of numbers as well. I'm not gonna do a full exposition of all the threats here due to time constraints. They're all available if you search for them. Here's a great explanation of one the most impending threats 

So basically within the next few years we can expect the Arctic to have an ice free summer. What does that mean? The ocean currents that dictate global weather patterns are heavily reliant on Arctic temperatures remaining below a certain level. When the sea ice melts completely, which it will shortly, we will see a dramatic shift in global weather with some areas remaining dry year round and others remaining stormy. This is obviously a death blow for agriculture in any of those regions. We need the agriculture industry to continue to grow in order to supply the current demand for food. I'll let you arrive at the conclusion. This is just one of many imminent threats to global stability. 

I'm not claiming to arrive at the ultimate Truth. I'm just saying that most people are only giving themselves a partial or unrealistic perspective on our collective future. Of course I've done the reading and looked at the numbers otherwise I wouldn't be posting this. 

@commie the idea that one should be purely scientific about this and inform you by being much more specific is just the ego attempting to avoid reflecting honestly on the ramifications of the destruction we're facing. Not everyone who says "we're probably going to die" is spreading some bs apocalyptic theory. This crisis is backed up by years of scientific investigation. 

Edited by Shmurda

Not really in my wheelhouse. There's tons of great environmental documentaries on YT already.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Perspective.png

tj5x85k9ydb51.jpg

We are all one spark, eyes full of wonder

“Take the lowest place, and you shall reach the highest.” 

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa 

@Shmurda Have you realised the upcoming events, the ramifications of our myopic unconsciousness? Have you begun the process of acceptance so you can flow with what comes over the next few decades? 

Or are you on a crusade to save biological lifes capability to survive?

Do you seek Leo to make a video that will illuminate the issues we face so we can better act in order to save life or are you seeking him to guide his followers into enviromental and societal collapse through peace and love?

The train has left the tracks my friend and the good ol days have been lived. There will be no en masse shift into the second tier of spiral dynamics. Mature Stage Green psychology won't even take hold as a main driving force of human survival.

Humanity is unsustainable at this level and the feedback loops are already set in. 

The geopolitics of a drastically warming world are going to be interesting to watch, to say the least...

Covid has shown to the inquisitive eye all it needs to know about how human psychology will deal with a real threat when it comes. Covid and The Syrian Refugee Crisis are going to look like a tea party with whats to come in our lifetime.

Our only saviour is technological hopium.

If you are wondering if Leo is on board with Enviromental Collapse and the Societal Shifts that will take place, he isn't... he talks of humanity in 100 - 1000 years which are just conceptual musings within a framework of enviromental stability. I know he has read Ecodharma, which in itself is an extremely conservative and optimistic book but. I haven't heard him talk about this topic in any detail.

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa 

@SoothedByRain My feelings exactly. I've been wrestling this beast for almost a year since I realised that the situation is utterly hopeless.

What video do I want Leo to make? One where he details just how dire the situation is and what the results entail for the idea of the future of human civilization. How we can use this crisis as a tool to help us awaken before the chaos. How we can understand that the entire human civilization is in the equivalent of hospice and we need to be guided to our demise. 

The most unsettling thing is this optimism many, including Leo, have that makes them believe the battle isn't lost. There are people still having kids and talking about "green recovery" it literally makes me want to throw up. It's more blatant trickery from the ego trying to hold onto the illusion that everything will be all right. 

If you're reading this and you think I'm a "doomer" just exaggerating the situation, I dare you to spend 20 minutes googling the figures from any alternative news source (the mainstream media is optimistic of course). We have less than ten years left. 

1 hour ago, SoothedByRain said:

tj5x85k9ydb51.jpg

This is kind of inspiring AF actually. You have every reason in the world to go for your dreams, all out, all in, especially if those dreams are for creating a more harmonious world. If status quo and societal expectations of success were holding you back it helps to know that they are a sinking ship that will shortly be at the bottom of the ocean anyway. Only thing to do is learn to surf and have a great time doing it. 

2 minutes ago, Shmurda said:

The most unsettling thing is this optimism many, including Leo, have that makes them believe the battle isn't lost. There are people still having kids and talking about "green recovery" it literally makes me want to throw up. It's more blatant trickery from the ego trying to hold onto the illusion that everything will be all right.

What if those kids are going to be completely key to finding a solution? You and the apparent "ego" are perfect manifestations of nature itself. The apparent separation, the feeling that nature is good and humans are bad and apart from infinite intelligence is the ego, the illusion of separation itself. Everything will be alright whether it includes humans or not. Everything is already more alright than you can ever know. Obsessing over the environment isn't the belief that nature is as important than humans, it's saying that the humans that exist and believe they are in control of things must maintain that position, they must maintain their intellectual superiority to nature. The never had that intellectual superiority. It's sheer illusion. They are as one with it themselves, as the oneness they observe in the circle of life and believe themselves to be apart from as the observer, (and worrier). 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@mandyjw Of course, to the enlightened sage, this crescendo of nature erasing life on Earth must look like the end of a cosmic song amongst an infinite playlist. Beautiful.

However, my worrier, and the worriers of 99% of humanity (aka the Ego) actually form the conceptual identity that believes in death in the first place. I'm a teacher and I can assure that when the end comes, informing my students that they never had intellectual superiority over nature and returning to dust is actually part of God's perfection is not gonna make them feel any better.

Maybe we ought to just ignore it and hope that the end comes quickly so that we don't have to suffer for long! 

@mandyjw "they say Jesus walked on water.... well, I think he should have surfed" - some shitty Ben Harper song

@Shmurda