Shooby

Authentic Careers Mega-Thread

24 posts in this topic

I thought it would help us to get insights about creative customized careers.

This guy makes robots and weird projects

Cool thread, interested to see what gets posted here :) 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

Great thread idea. I'd encourage people to not just spam this with people who make a living solely off of making Youtube videos. We should collate examples of how people have built authentic successfull careers that don't necessarily rely on Youtube.

• Masahiro Kikuno - Watchmaker:

• Ross Symons - Origami Artist: "Ross quit his 9-5 job after spending a 18 months making origami and posting his work on instagram. He started the year with 165 followers and ended the year with 50,000. 10 months into his project he was featured by Instagram and his followers jumped from 10k to 40k in 4 hours. He does origami installations, art exhibitions, create origami stop frame animations and create social media content for brands around the world. He also does public speaking gigs where he shares his story about how he made the shift from 9-5 web developer to an Instagrammer and full-time artist." https://www.instagram.com/white_onrice/

• Kacper Kowalski - Paraglider Photographerhttps://mymodernmet.com/kacper-kowalski-aerial-photography/. Kowalski trained as an architect and was enjoying a flourishing career in that field, when his passion for aviation took over. Attracted to the freedom and adventure of paragliding, Kowalski began photographing his journeys as a means to kickstart a new career that would allow him to spend endless hours in the sky. He now makes his living as a successfull photographer.

• Nick Anger - Bladesmith, woodworker, metallurgist, and chemist who creates utterly unique, custom Damascus steel knives.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

@Space I agree, Lets make this thread about people who mastered their craft.

1 hour ago, Space said:

Great thread idea. I'd encourage people to not just spam this with people who make a living solely off of making Youtube videos. We should collate examples of how people have built authentic successfull careers that don't necessarily rely on Youtube.

This won´t be as easy as it sounds, as soon as you don´t rely on Youtube you don´t really find videos of them on Youtube. Truly mindbending haha xD
But if we can collect some extraordinary examples, then this would be truly amazing.

Also what do you @Shooby mean with authentic careers?
Is it more like something bizarre, that most people woudn´t even think of?
Or more like a very specific, authentic niche, like being for example a musician that focuses on creating inspirational music?

Geoff Lawton - Geoff is an permaculture activist & terrafromer with the vision to create sustainable ecosystems that integrate the human as a part of the ecosystem, instead of excluding the human and seeing him as a threat to a stable ecosystem. An idea for which Goeff Lawton is known, is the idea of the foodforest. It is a forest that is specifically designed to be a stable ecosystem in which animals and species can live and be preserved, but also it is designed to produce food for us with minimal intervention of destructive agricultural approaches.

22 minutes ago, Calcifer said:

Also what do you @Shooby mean with authentic careers?
Is it more like something bizarre, that most people woudn´t even think of?
Or more like a very specific, authentic niche, like being for example a musician that focuses on creating inspirational music?

I mean people who found the thing they love to do, the thing that fulfills their purpose, and feels like their character is designed solely to be exclusive with their vision.

I hope this helps.

Inspiring story for gamers

Edited by Shooby

@Shooby yeah, making games can be really fun! I made alot of unfinished warcraft III maps with cool custom triggers. :) Got some negative feedback, and some positive. Played my maps on multiplayer. Was pretty cool experience.

Patch Adams:  the Doctor/Clown

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

On 24/07/2020 at 11:12 PM, Shooby said:

This is a mini god

Indeed he is

Blender is a free and open-source 3D computer graphics software toolset used for creating animated films, visual effects, art, 3D printed models, motion graphics, interactive 3D applications, virtual reality and computer games.