NorthNow

When death is experienced, what happens to awareness?

66 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, James123 said:

This answer is completely opposite than your prior answer.

You specifically point out something, which is just a thought, as saying infinite mind of god. 

There is no contradiction there. When speaking we are automatically in relative reality. Which is the “real” relative? Or are all perspectives equally valid? Especially to the extend that they act as a springboard to the next highest rung of the ladder of realization (again in the realm of the relative).

25 minutes ago, James123 said:

Mind, god, enlightenment, these are only concepts

Mind, God, and enlightenment are not concepts. Concepts are part of Mind.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 minutes ago, The0Self said:

Which is the “real” relative?

Real relative is, Relative and real is an completely illusion.

3 minutes ago, The0Self said:

Or are all perspectives equally valid?

There is no one to have any perspectives. 

12 minutes ago, The0Self said:

. When speaking we are automatically in relative reality.

Using word of god or infinite mind dont make any sense here. There is no mind. People will think they will go become a giant mind and god. Lol. When you become god, you are nothing, which is the moment. Thats it. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

These are just thoughts. Where is the mind? Can you see? If you never learn what is the mind, can you be aware of it? 

2 minutes ago, James123 said:

Real relative is, Relative and real is an completely illusion.

There is no one to have any perspectives. 

Using word of god or infinite mind dont make any sense here. There is no mind. People will think they will go become a giant mind and god. Lol. When you become god, you are nothing, which is the moment. Thats it. 

This is the definition of splitting hairs, man. I agree. And “the moment?” You gotta know you’re still not conveying the ultimate. The present moment doesn’t exist — there isn’t enough time for there to be a present moment, not is time real. Everything we call real is made of what we cannot call real.

When death is experienced, what happens to awareness.

Life is the duration of witnessing.

2 minutes ago, The0Self said:

The present moment doesn’t exist — there isn’t enough time for there to be a present moment, not is time real. Everything we call real is made of what we cannot call real

There is nonsuch a thing as present moment exist or not exist. You make the presint moment not exist with your thoughts . There is no you to be anything. You are the present moment , which is nothing and non duality. Your birth happened with learning an knowing, when you dont know, you will get it that you have never began or learn. Ultimate is nothing. Before the big bang, which is so called occurred  because of the thoughts. By the way these all words are identical . Lol. Matrix is just naming and labeling them :) thats the funniest shit :) or me is an completely illusion (as body). Lol. 

50 minutes ago, cetus said:

When death is experienced, what happens to awareness.

Life is the duration of witnessing.

I think you have some very definite ideas of what happens to awareness and I'd like to know what they are...?

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Me and Leo's reaction when 18 year olds are asking about the meaning of life.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

20 minutes ago, Judi said:

I recently had a NDE, so what I can tell you from my experience is that the mind gets the following:even if o die, my Me is still here. That's immortality right there, that is self-transcendence and the realizetion that you are infinite. And if you are lucky, you can continue living on with that wisdom.

@Judi can you try to explain in detail about your Nde?

Also, I am happy that we are left only with two possibilities ( I hope )

1. After death, nothing is there not even awareness.

2. After death, we have an awareness that experiences everything.

1 minute ago, Judi said:

@An young being i suppose it is the latter: awareness always remains. If not aware of your particular IMAGINARY human life, then of something else. It simply continues investigating and becoming conscious of another corner of Infinity. Another perspective, which is identical to "another possibility". But let Leo confirm this, i am quite new in the field.

How anybody can confirm this, as long as they are alive? That's where near death experiences may show some light.

12 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

Well let's not just talk about it...lets take a looksie.

what is your so-called transcended mind conscious of exactly?

It's correct to say that nothing dies because nothing was actually living.

But it's ridiculous to presume that something that never was, continues on after the death of the body mind organism.

My so called transcended mind is conscious of oneness. My ego has surrendered to the truth of love and oneness. Sure, love and oneness is never not the case. But most humans run around thinking separateness and evil is real. 

But It's not *really* that my transcended mind is conscious of oneness; it's more accurate to say that God/Love/Consciousness (i.e. the real me) -- through this mind -- is conscious of itself. 

The mind is a tool for God to know itself/recognize itself. That's it. Without something "apparet not-God" to contrast "God" with, God wouldn't know what it was. It wouldn't know it was infinite. Love wouldn't know it was Love. Consciousness wouldn't know it was Conscious.

A mind in and of itself cannot be conscious of anything. Only Consciousness itself can be conscious ... cos it IS consciousness, that is what it is. And "this" is also equal to Love. And to God. Ta-dah.

Sure, nothing dies during death, except the "apparent separate" mind/ego/porson, which naturally vanishes forever and ever when the body dies.

I have never said that ego/mind/soul/personality/beliefs/values/ideas continues after death. I have said the opposite, in fact. That dies. Cos it wasn't real to begin with. Only that which isn't REAL can die. Which means that EVERYTHING is unreal, EXCEPT of course: Consciousness/God/Love ITSELF. You see?

Anyway, I was just playing a bit with you. Of course, I can see where you are coming from when you say that death is equal to an eternal deep sleep without dreams. That's true enough in its own sense. However, realize that you have never experienced deep sleep. Deep sleep isn't an experience.

So naturally, the only thing that can happen to *the real you* (as God/Consciousness/Love) after death is the same thing that happened to *the real you* when *the real you* were born.

Listen to the great Watts:

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

7 hours ago, An young being said:

@Judi can you try to explain in detail about your Nde?

Also, I am happy that we are left only with two possibilities ( I hope )

1. After death, nothing is there not even awareness.

2. After death, we have an awareness that experiences everything.

There is no after death. We don’t have awareness. Show me someone that could have awareness — it will just be an object in awareness, overlooked.

43 minutes ago, The0Self said:

There is no after death. We don’t have awareness. Show me someone that could have awareness — it will just be an object in awareness, overlooked.

After death - After death of my ego, memories, body, personality etc. The things that give an identity. If you say that I would still remember my past lives after I am dead, then I will accept that there is nothing called death.

have awareness - opposite to being in a blank state, similar to sleep

@WaveInTheOcean It's interesting that you noted sleep is an illusion,How do you say that? If I am not able to be aware during sleep, how does it make it an illusion?

9 minutes ago, An young being said:

I am dead, then I will accept that there is nothing called death.

There is no you to die. Memories are illusions. 

9 minutes ago, An young being said:

It is describable with sleep, but best way to describe it, not thinking. If you dont think, whatever left is It. 

Edited by James123

41 minutes ago, An young being said:

After death - After death of my ego, memories, body, personality etc. The things that give an identity. If you say that I would still remember my past lives after I am dead, then I will accept that there is nothing called death.

@WaveInTheOcean It's interesting that you noted sleep is an illusion,How do you say that? If I am not able to be aware during sleep, how does it make it an illusion?

There was never anyone to remember.

“2. After death, we have an awareness that experiences everything.“

You are already experiencing absolutely everything, including the perception of being a limited human being without omniscience — though ultimately this too is merely an idea.

Edited by The0Self

1 hour ago, WaveInTheOcean said:

My so called transcended mind is conscious of oneness. My ego has surrendered to the truth of love and oneness. Sure, love and oneness is never not the case. But most humans run around thinking separateness and evil is real. 

But It's not *really* that my transcended mind is conscious of oneness; it's more accurate to say that God/Love/Consciousness (i.e. the real me) -- through this mind -- is conscious of itself. 

The mind is a tool for God to know itself/recognize itself. That's it. Without something "apparet not-God" to contrast "God" with, God wouldn't know what it was. It wouldn't know it was infinite. Love wouldn't know it was Love. Consciousness wouldn't know it was Conscious.

A mind in and of itself cannot be conscious of anything. Only Consciousness itself can be conscious ... cos it IS consciousness, that is what it is. And "this" is also equal to Love. And to God. Ta-dah.

Sure, nothing dies during death, except the "apparent separate" mind/ego/porson, which naturally vanishes forever and ever when the body dies.

I have never said that ego/mind/soul/personality/beliefs/values/ideas continues after death. I have said the opposite, in fact. That dies. Cos it wasn't real to begin with. Only that which isn't REAL can die. Which means that EVERYTHING is unreal, EXCEPT of course: Consciousness/God/Love ITSELF. You see?

Anyway, I was just playing a bit with you. Of course, I can see where you are coming from when you say that death is equal to an eternal deep sleep without dreams. That's true enough in its own sense. However, realize that you have never experienced deep sleep. Deep sleep isn't an experience.

So naturally, the only thing that can happen to *the real you* (as God/Consciousness/Love) after death is the same thing that happened to *the real you* when *the real you* were born.

Listen to the great Watts:

you're a good guy and I understand what you're saying ❤

Just pointing to the fact that if you look closer you may come to realize that these concepts and beliefs that are being identified with as true self or (*the real you* as God/Consciousness/Love) thoughts are not transcended mind thoughts, they're just regular good old-fashioned thoughts being identified with as 'MY' thoughts. ❤

@NorthNow Death is an extremely powerful force. My most recent insights from inquiry and meditation have been about death. 

Reflecting on the fact that you will die one day can serve as a good prompt for investigation. This is technically unnecessary, as that's an idea about the future and you only have to look at the present for this all. 

Acceptance of death is fearlessness. Death=flux. However, one can become conscious that one's true nature is imperturbable. Once you physically die, your true nature will still remain.

So then if you can accept death, all your problems will go away. I'm still very far away. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.