Leo Gura

RIP Michael Brooks of The Majority Report

69 posts in this topic

RIP

Remember guys not to be sedentary for too long and get your regular exercise in. If you sit a lot do some exercises every hour or so, it will increase your productivity anyways. Also keep yourself hydrated!

Glory to Israel

6 hours ago, Rilles said:

I think most of these Leftie hosts are orange/GREEN/ maybe a tiny bit of yellow, but since we dont know them personally its hard to tell

Nearly all progressives have significant Green and perhaps some Yellow sprinkles. Neo-liberals are Orange centered. One of the problems in the U.S. is that there are only two political parties, so very different ideologies get grouped as “Democrat” and most Americans don’t make distinctions. In Europe, progressives and neo-liberals would be two different political parties. AOC and Biden would not be in the same political party in Europe. 

7 hours ago, GroovyGuru said:

unlike Sam who pretty much offers little except making fun of various people

Sam has a lot of experience and wisdom when it comes to politics.

What I admire about him is his no-nonsense groundedness. If you ignore the fun half of the show, then you can clearly see Sam's expertise and wisdom. But people like to skip the serious first half of the show to get to the fun half -- where, yeah -- he makes a lot of fun of people. It's fun but shallow. But it draws people in to the serious half.

The problem with overly young pundits is that they simply lack the maturity and experience and wisdom. People in their 20's and 30's are simply too immature to do solid, grounded political analysis. They are still too utopian.

Guys like Vaush, Kyle, etc. are still too young, too edgy, too immature, etc. They need to ripen into their 40's and 50's to really get good I think.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura I see. Maybe I need to start actually watching the full program. Usually I just watch certain clips here and there that they post on the channel, in which many of them are silly and fun. But I have actually streamed the show when they were live a few times and Sam definitely has very interesting guests on where they discuss in depth topics as you mentioned. 

@GroovyGuru The most important part of the Majority Report is the hour long expert interviews that Sam does. That's the meat. The rest is funny stuff to amuse the kids.

But I admit, I enjoy the funny stuff.

@Leo Gura Haha well I do here and there too. It’s just that at this point, when I’m watching political commentary my main objective is to learn rather than laugh. 

But, Michael Brooks sure was a funny dude and I will miss him and his jokes. Especially when they were about Dave Rubin xD

@Leo Gura

Yeah, good luck getting people my age(20ish) to tune into like Noam Chomsky

Kyle's and Vaush's styles are like candy for college kids. There's of course negatives to their approach, but I think overall, they are doing a good job at raising awareness of social and economic issues from a green frame and they generally have pretty decent takes imo. 

6 minutes ago, louhad said:

Kyle's and Vaush's styles are like candy for college kids.

I totally get the appeal.

Children like candy ;)

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Sam has a lot of experience and wisdom when it comes to politics.

What I admire about him is his no-nonsense groundedness. If you ignore the fun half of the show, then you can clearly see Sam's expertise and wisdom. But people like to skip the serious first half of the show to get to the fun half -- where, yeah -- he makes a lot of fun of people. It's fun but shallow. But it draws people in to the serious half.

The problem with overly young pundits is that they simply lack the maturity and experience and wisdom. People in their 20's and 30's are simply too immature to do solid, grounded political analysis. They are still too utopian.

Guys like Vaush, Kyle, etc. are still too young, too edgy, too immature, etc. They need to ripen into their 40's and 50's to really get good I think.

That’s what makes Michael’s death so sad. He was well on his way to be a very influential and grounded voice in politics but he died before he could really reach his prime tbh. The world is poorer without him :/

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

13 minutes ago, Apparition of Jack said:

He was well on his way to be a very influential and grounded voice in politics but he died before he could really reach his prime

Yup

Sad

Seems like Michael Brooks really was on his life's purpose, it's very sad to see it cut short.

Watching the live stream they posted showed me how much impact you can really have on the world in your own unique way.

3 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

You said you weren't a fan of Jimmy Dore, what's wrong with him?

I usually dont tear up when people die. Especially not people i did not know personally.

I did this time though.

I think that says something about Michael. Rest in peace.

Great talk from him here, something a bit different his normal show. Such a loss...

@Leo Gura In the conversations with God series of books, the author has lengthy discussions about how no death is an "accident" and that the soul leaves the body at a time when it feels is right, and that is the perfect time for that person to leave the physical world and move on to the next phase....... With all you work and contemplation, do you think this is an accurate analysis? and in the book he says we should celebrate and be excited that they have moved on to grander things. Would love to hear you thoughts. Thank you for all you work Leo.