Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iceprincess

Isha Hatha Yoga

3 posts in this topic

Has anyone done hatha yoga through a trained hatha yoga teacher who did the program at sadhguru's ashram? i'm gonna be starting surya kriya, Bhuta shuddhi and yogasanas and I'll do angamardhana later. just wanted to know what benefits you've experienced, how has it changed your emotional and psychological health, your perception, consciousness etc. also how long does each session take? all 4 modules together are $1000 lol so it better be worth it. 

I've completed angamardhana.

In terms of physical fitness it's quite complete. It strengthens your system without causing tightness and all. Isha says you can complete it within 25-30 minutes...well that's a load of bull. It'll take you many months of dedicated practice till you can do it that quickly. It takes about an hour to do in the early stages.

Unfortunately due to consecutive injuries I couldn't do the practice consistently. I did however complete the first 35 days in a row. At the end of those 35 days, my hamstrings were a lot more flexible and my body just felt much more at ease. My awareness of how I shift my balance while doing any activity was much more heightened. If you've ever read the book in the physiology section on Leos list or watched the body awareness episode, you'd appreciate how transformative this can be. I thought to myself during my consistent phase that if I continue this practice for a year or two I could see how it would result in a permanent change-a certain kind of suppleness and ease. I think its a good course but it takes a lot of consistency to really get results.

All  in all, SG has mentioned that hatha yoga is prepatory in nature. Angamardhana is certainly an effective tool for preparing the body, I don't think I'd be able to attempt certain asanas unless I improve at executing the angamardhana practice first. I was hoping it would give added benefits like syncing with the cycles of nature like SG talks about so much but I think that comes more with yogasanas. But of course, unless your body is prepared for asanas you aint syncing with jackshit. So that's my 2 cents

TLDR: angamardhana's a good course but have the right expectations, its a course to prepare the physical body, nothing more.

Suriya kriya is my favorite, feels very good to do it in the morning at least one cycle I always do. It makes the day go much better. There are many exciting benefits to that practice. One of the most noticable are probably the mental and psychological benefits that come with it. I saw a huge difference in my mental state even after the first time of doing the practice :)

Yogasanas are very powerful if you're interested in having powerful energy states and consciousness. When I first started to do yogasanas the energy of some asanas were so intense that it would produce hot heat on my forehead and make my body tremble with energy until the energy system strenghtened and learned to hold that much energy. Yogasanas can be a brutal practice in the beginning.

I would recommend suriya kriya and shambhavi mahamudra as the most essential practices to experience. Shambhavi mahamudra especially actually. :)

Good luck :)

Edited by Salvijus