Tanster

What are the ways of raising of schools to SD green and above?

45 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Tanster said:

Do you guys think people have to live through the struggle of tier 1 first then develop big picture understanding of tier 2?

Yes. People will have to see that Tier 1 doesn't work anymore. Up until that point, people will hold on to Tier 1 survival strategies. People will be willing to change their survival strategies only if their current ones stop working, because changing a survival strategy is the same as risking death. If your new one doesn't work, you die and that's what the ego is afraid of.

Can tier 2 facilitated in children so they can be spared from having to deprogram from the devilry of tier 1?

Yes. I think so.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

@Parththakkar12 When I was a child, I sometimes had this sensations of stepping outside my ego. Asking myself questions like why I am I this person? Why is it only "me" that I`m perceiving? 

Those were fleeting moments before I was caught up with maya again. I wish little me had actualized.org back then to explore these concepts.

14 minutes ago, Tanster said:

It`s really inspiring to see schools like these around the world. But the minimum age requirement is 16 so basically pre-college. I wonder if there`s a system that starts with grades school? Or maybe the founders already figured out that you are only ready for green and above after a certain age.

@Tanster  I think at the UWC school in Tanzania and Singapore, there are some programmes for younger kids too. But I guess it's questionable how much value do these kids get from it, I mean, it might be nice, but honestly, how many things do you remember from your primary school? Do you think it has significantly formed your world view? I might be biased here, but I heard from some people, that the pre-college programmes are more valuable. Also the age requirement varies in different countries, there will be people from the ages of 15 all the way to 20 in one class.

One argument might be that people who apply and are accepted already are highly spirally evolved, but as far as I've seen, the committees are doing a good job at selecting a variety of different personalities. From my experience, it is a pain in the ass if a person who does not fit a certain educational programme is chosen and attends it, maybe because of bribe or some error in the selection process. It just becomes harder for everyone.

36 minutes ago, Tanster said:

@Max_V What aspects of liberal schooling were being taught in your school? LGBT awareness, racial awareness, environmental awareness? Were these in conflicts with say your family`s values? The reason I`m asking is because kids can come home and tell their conservative parents about these things and then the curriculum may be reversed back to orange or blue. 

All of the ones listed above, and more, were shared on my school from a young age. My parents too are what I would say a mixture of orange moving into green, so the values from school and at home were not very discrepitant. 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

@bejapuskas I don`t remember much the particulars of the subjects but still remember the political indoctrination. Like the pledge of allegiance American kids have to make every once in a while, We had to sing the national anthem and pledge our allegiance to the Communist Party and Great Uncle Ho`s vision every Monday. I believed all that until and I came to Australia at 16 and was exposed Western to capitalism and democracy. Funny enough I attended a class that tried to indoctrinate me the other way around by teachers who were boat people fleeing from Vietnam after the war. It`s like a fundamentalist Christian learning that Jesus was a rapist. 

Since the Communist Party in Vietnam is doing an amazing job in containing Covid 19, nationalism is gaining traction in Vietnam again, people like me who are struggling to consolidate orange in first world countries are ridiculed for turning out backs on the motherland. If my indoctrination was a little stronger, I might pack up stuff and go back to Vietnam, residing to the comfort of blue/orange while missing the opportunity to move up the spiral.   

@Max_V Were you in solid green all the way into adulthood or do you sometimes fall back into orange and lower? How much do you think schooling contributes to you being at your current stage? 

@Tanster  I see, that can suck for some people. This seems like a really complicated situation, and I don't know whether I am not biased to judge it, since in my country, this movement away from communism happened with little violence compared to other countries and also before I was even born. But you know, not everyone has the strength and need to grow, you gotta understand that, because otherwise this thinking about others is just keeping you away from being in touch with yourself.

Glad that Vietnam handled corona well. :) 

@bejapuskas I believe Vietnam has moved away from communism with little violence albeit the regime is still branded communism. I mean people are free to do pretty much what ever they want except from having political debates.  

So there will be no uprising to overthrow the government anytime soon. Hence change will have to come from educating our young, so that the conscious few being taught today can affect change should they somehow become government officials in the future. We need a few Bernie Sanders in Vietnam.  

@Tanster  Vietnam has some very smart people from what I've seen, I wish the best for you!  

In Norway, the newer schools and the ones that I went to are very green. The primary school that I started going to in 2003 was brand new and the architecture of the building resembles the shell of a snail. Inside there are no classrooms but instead more open structures called "bases".  We also had a day in the week called "outside school" which consisted of taking a trip to a forest nearby, and it incorporated learning about the natural sciences and ecology. The school lunch program assured free food for everybody, and we also had a free after-school activities program.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard  Education institutions like that are starting to appear in the Czech Republic where I live too, but they are more like alternative projects, not that common. It's nice to see that these kids don't have problems with academics as many people might thing. I also have a personal experience with studying under teachers who had working experiences from Germany and the Netherlands (not Norway but I suppose it's kind of close in terms of quality) and I could feel the difference kinda.

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The schools I went to in Southern California were already basically at stage Green. I got taught sex-ed in 5th grade in the 1996. So Green is already happening in progressive school districts.

Actualized.org teachings are more Yellow/Turquoise, which is a much trickier thing.

meh, I think there can be touches of green and some green values being taught in a predominantly orange system. When I envision green education systems, I think of a lower emphasis on competition and hierarchy, more emphasis on individual student needs and mental health, larger emphasis on nature, less rigid structure, less standardized exams, etc. I think we are far from it. 

1 hour ago, louhad said:

meh, I think there can be touches of green and some green values being taught in a predominantly orange system. When I envision green education systems, I think of a lower emphasis on competition and hierarchy, more emphasis on individual student needs and mental health, larger emphasis on nature, less rigid structure, less standardized exams, etc. I think we are far from it. 

Yess

some sort of compulsory teaching on mental health/emotional management/empathy building, interpersonal skills and community success over individual success focus

I think counselling being widely available for kids especially from low income, rough areas is soo important but those schools are already badly underfunded :/ 

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi

10 hours ago, louhad said:

Yupp! Until we really start to introduce meditation and question the materialist paradigm, it's gonna be predominantly Orange.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

21 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The schools I went to in Southern California were already basically at stage Green. I got taught sex-ed in 5th grade in the 1996. So Green is already happening in progressive school districts.

Just learning about basic sex ed and MLK like that isn't stage green. The schools in America are only starting to become fully stage green now. Example in this video from 49:30 to 51:02 (ignore the other parts of the video), I picture schools like this as stage green.

There are meditation circles with the school psychologist now at my school, I haven't been there though. I don't know if it's a good idea to bring it to the lessons and „force“ people to meditate, what do you think?

@bejapuskas Kids are hyperactive so it`s really hard to force them to sit still and contemplate for long periods of time, we can`t even do it ourselves. I think one of the ways to integrate meditation into the curriculum is after a play session when kids have exerted some of their energy. Small kids can just start for 5 minutes in silence and think about whatever. As the years progress longer durations with intended purposes can be introduced.  

Watch both of these videos :

Edited by Kross

What I noticed is, that kids (mostly pre-school) often naturally have the qualities we want in others and in ourselves, like confidence, focus, happiness, energy... So I guess it would be possible to bring meditation to schools but maybe for some people in the conventional education system, it's just too late.