PetarKa

[BOOK] Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World, David Epstein (10/10)

2 posts in this topic

This book for has been amazing! It challenges all of the assumptions in the self-help circles about career advice - namely the advice "You must hyper-specialize. You must start practicing in ONE THING as early as possible." After reading this book it's actually hard to believe this advice anymore. The book has MANY examples, studies, anecdotal stories which support the author's claims. I loved that this book is very nuanced. It's not even very long, yet the message is clear. Honestly, I think this book is Stage Yellow GOLD. Very satisfied!

Here's my review on Goodreads about this book:

Amazing book. So many unanswered questions about "the cult of hyper-specialization" have been answered with this book. Challenges a lot of underlying assumptions we are told about how to have a successful career - which frankly I haven't really seen someone question until I read this. The book is to-the-point, not too long, a LOT of examples, studies, experiments, and anecdotal stories to back up the author's points. Honestly, I am amazed how much work the author must have done to compile this piece of work. Aside from professional advice, this book will give you a much clearer perspective on life in general, at least that has been the case for me. I'm rarely fully satisfied with books, but with this one I honestly racked my brain to try to find a significant problem with the book and I simply couldn't. Of course it depends what you are looking for, but for my needs this book was a 10/10.

Here's the amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Range-Generalists-Triumph-Specialized-World/dp/0735214484/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=range&qid=1595110369&sr=8-1

Edited by PetarKa

Interesting. I'm currently going through it and I am feeling the same. It is quite refreshing. However, I am not finished yet, so I will postpone any review for now