Dylan Page

How do I deal with existential anxiety?

24 posts in this topic

Anyone have any advice with this? Existential anxiety has been permeating my life for a pretty long time now. It's on a subconscious level. I can be perfectly fine, in my house, perfectly safe (as safe as I can reasonably be at that moment in time), but nonetheless, I'm legitimately quivering. Like there's a hole in my stomach, I start sweating, frequently urinating and cannot sleep no matter what. The only way I can calm myself down is by watching videos on meaning and death and human psychology. Does anyone know anything about this? 

The symptoms you are describing are no joke. Please discuss them with a doctor.

But regardless of what problem you might or might not have, I think you should find other ways to calm down. Simple mindfulness techniques have helped me when my body was acting up but I'm of course not claiming that's the best or only way. What I do claim however is that life isn't about meaning, or about death.

Edited by commie

It is ok to not feel ok.  All feelings are temporary, and so is this.  

Firstly, I'd fundamentally make sure you're trying to make the healthiest decisions for yourself in all the facets of your life.  Are your fundamental needs met?  Do you have healthy relationships?  Are you eating ok?  Are you exercising?  How's your meditation practice? 

If you have exhausted all your options I second the suggestion of seeing a doctor, there's no shame in that.  Just make sure to do your research before taking any medication.  Always say no to benzodiazepines.  

Benzos are fine if it's for a temporary situation, like if you're only going to take them a few days.

The main point of seeing a doctor is of course not to get a dealer but to rule out what they call "organic" problems. These are sometimes only as temporary as the beating of your heart.

12 hours ago, commie said:

Benzos are fine if it's for a temporary situation, like if you're only going to take them a few days.

The main point of seeing a doctor is of course not to get a dealer but to rule out what they call "organic" problems. These are sometimes only as temporary as the beating of your heart.

Benzos destroy countless lives and often cause permanent irreversible damage which lead to increased anxiety over a lifetime.  The risk is absolutely not worth the reward.  The only valid time I'd see prescribing them is in life threatening situations like seizure, or someone who is dying and experiencing anxiety.  

If you don't count, there's no way you can tell if the risk is worth it and all you're doing is dressing up your prejudices, puritanical or otherwise.

If you had done your research (as you said one should), you'd know how risky this very common drug class really is. Or you could simply trust the pros. But distrusting the pros on the basis on prejudice rather than data? That rarely turns out well.

5 hours ago, commie said:

If you don't count, there's no way you can tell if the risk is worth it and all you're doing is dressing up your prejudices, puritanical or otherwise.

If you had done your research (as you said one should), you'd know how risky this very common drug class really is. Or you could simply trust the pros. But distrusting the pros on the basis on prejudice rather than data? That rarely turns out well.

I've done a massive amount of research.  And I have personal experience and seen others destroy their lives and families with them.  I've worked in the drug industry and with pharmacists.  I have family members who are in medicine.  I've come into contact with hundreds probably thousands of people who take them.  I know every commonly prescribed benzo by heart generic and brand names, what strengths they come in, what the pills looks like, how they're generally prescribed, and so on.  I'm about as close to what you could call an expert outside of having a PhD in a related subject.  

I gain nothing personally by telling people to not take benzo's.  It is my advice from a vast amount of personal experience and knowledge that I have of them.  Take it for what you will and make your own decision.  

Edited by Heart of Space

In that case, surely you could be less vague than "countless", "permanent damage" and so forth. And it'd have been quicker to cite publications than to write what you've just typed. If you want people to be informed, be informative!

16 minutes ago, commie said:

In that case, surely you could be less vague than "countless", "permanent damage" and so forth. And it'd have been quicker to cite publications than to write what you've just typed. If you want people to be informed, be informative!

I wasn't trying to get into an academic debate or write a masters thesis on the use of benzos.  Just to give quick advice to someone suffering form anxiety on a forum based on my experience and knowledge nothing else.  You falsely assumed that I was saying that out of some sort of anti-drug prejudice, which wasn't the case.  I dispelled that, the interaction is over as far as I'm concerned.  

Edited by Heart of Space

It’s not that I necessarily want to be dealing with this, it’s more like I have to/cannot be stable without answers to existential questions because I recognize how important they are in relation to my life. I workout, eat healthily, am financially stable, have friends, hobbies, everything. That’s not the issue. @Member

9 minutes ago, Dylan Page said:

It’s not that I necessarily want to be dealing with this, it’s more like I have to/cannot be stable without answers to existential questions because I recognize how important they are in relation to my life. I workout, eat healthily, am financially stable, have friends, hobbies, everything. That’s not the issue. @Member

Perhaps you're afraid of the unknown and your body perceives it as a life threatening event, thus it activates the fight-or-flight response. I would suggest you to take a break from researching/overthinking and focus on something else for a while. Consciousness expands step-by-step and the body/mind needs to rest, it cannot process all the information at once.

42 minutes ago, Dylan Page said:

That's good that you have those things in order.  The concerning thing is not that you have questions about your existence, it's that you seem to actually have physical symptoms as a result of this issue.  It maybe an issue with your health in some way.  You understand your issue the best, so honestly you should maybe try to consider a course of action to correct the problem rather than ask people who don't know you on an internet forum.  You are capable of understand what you need far better than we do.  

@Heart of Space yeah definitely, but even to me it’s confusing, my head is a thick forest of trees and I’m trying to figure out what’s going on. I’m only reaching out because I’m desperate, but I’m sort of figuring it out. 

@Dylan Page  hey man, just know this...that existential pain (greatest suffering in the world when I had it) makes for INCREDIBLE fuel for awakening...

You should do what I did, dedicate yourself to the discovery/path. Do it legit. Even on this website, actual awakening is very very rare. Become one of the few to actually become immortal God♥️ do not believe you are God. Do not disbelieve you are God either. Practices practices practices.

Kriya yoga, self enquiry, concentration, contemplation, investigation. 

You've clearly got something up with your mind...you could be psychotic. Truth is, I don't know why you have existential anxiety. But one thing I know...healing is available if your willing to do the practices. Most people here don't focus on the practices and don't take it seriously... And the only thing I have to say is, if your condition is making your life Impossible to live happily, then the only logical choice is to dedicate yourself to the path of healing. The actual version. Sacrafice your entire life and you will save your life ???

Matthew 16:25 (NLT, Bible) 

"If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it." 

Nobody will understand when you try to explain this to them by the way. They wont. Get yourself some psychedelics my friend, and use them with care and power. They are the real workers of magic. ♥️ Anxiety was massive for me, I know very much what it's like. Also, doctors won't help you. 

Practices (and psycs) will help u. Test your psycs before consumption. You do not know what awaits you post awakening. I'm not awake yet, but I know what is awaiting my intuitively. I feel it's bliss stalking me. 

Heaven. Nirvana. BLISS ????? everlasting life. Unending love. Entering the divine dimensions

Edited by Aaron p

9 hours ago, Aaron p said:

Get yourself some psychedelics my friend, and use them with care and power. They are the real workers of magic. ♥️ Anxiety was massive for me, I know very much what it's like. Also, doctors won't help you.

Psychedelics won't help you either if you have a predisposition towards anxiety or other mental disorders. They could actually make it worse.

@Dylan Page don't worry, I had these anxiety episodes too which made me go to the bathroom. It is normal for some people to freak out when they have awakenings. Just take it easy and be careful with your health because you don't want to get sick. When you feel intense emotions, simply take a break and do something else till you feel ready. Good luck.

Edited by Member

49 minutes ago, Member said:

Psychedelics won't help you either if you have a predisposition towards anxiety or other mental disorders. They could actually make it worse.

@Dylan Page don't worry, I had these anxiety episodes too which made me go to the bathroom. It is normal for some people to freak out when they have awakenings. Just take it easy and be careful with your health because you don't want to get sick. When you feel intense emotions, simply take a break and do something else till you feel ready. Good luck.

True bro^@Member  

But psycs do heal. Finding a way to use them is very powerful... probably *the* most powerful tool for healing we have. It's true that psycs can make you feel anxious and temporarily worsen your anxiety, but perhaps a low dose of shrooms (1 gram dried) or a low dose of lsd (look into trip killers also, they've been reportedly able to just stop trips in their tracks). Only thing is LSD lasts 12 fucken hours haha. At least with DMT if you have a bad trip you'll be back in 20 mins. Don't use DMT if your on anti-depressants...that's lethal I think lol. 

Don't you worry child, see heavens gotta plan for you??

Edited by Aaron p