Spiral Wizard

Narcissists vs Sociopaths vs Psychopaths

53 posts in this topic

Narcissists and victims, doormats, codependents, etc, all have to exist as characters in the story of life of duality. If you are God, wouldn't you think yourself to be pretty damn special? If you are Nothing wouldn't you think yourself to be insignificant and powerless? If you are both simultaneously what would you think yourself to be? What would you think others to be? 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Neuroscientist finds out he is a psychopath.

I love Jim Fallon's honest insights of psychopathy and him explaining how he found out he is a borderline psychopath himself.

Learn about psychopathy from a neuroscientist psychopath himself.

I chose to no longer be a member of this forum.

@Cykaaaa If I am to believe some of these writers online talking about their lives, then yes it is true that there are some people who are biological psychopaths. They just cannot bond to others in the same way

@Leo Gura you might like this interview https://m.soundcloud.com/albert-johnson-490/bbc-radio-interview-with-female-psychopath-athena-walker

This woman wrote a lot on quora, seems maybe genuine. And she describes it as biological for her. The interview isn't that informative compared to her writing I think. 

---

Another interview 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

18 hours ago, Cykaaaa said:

Of course, a narcissist isn't necessarily all red. What I was implying is that the narcissistic part of a person = the redness inside him. 

I think you would find the narcissistic qualities on both the orange and red side of things.

18 hours ago, Cykaaaa said:

I sincerely hope you have people in your life that are more developed than THAT. Best wishes ?

I'm happy to have this guy out of my life now. In the end I learned a lot, so I'm stoked. The rest of my friends are super great. I'm very blessed to have them.

Cheers

On 7/17/2020 at 4:59 PM, Leo Gura said:

@Keyhole I am just being humorous.

I didn't laugh at that. I laughed at a bunch of rabbits mysteriously dying.

@Leo Gura I'm curious, do you ever apologise if you offend or accidentally offend someone? 

Edited by b_woo

We're all a bunch of narcissists and egomaniacs. Especially the so called "experts",,,,

We're all this and even more! ?

The Self of the Average Individual is Deeply and Fundamentally Narcissistic

Narcissism is a very general, basic element of ego life. The self of the average individual is deeply and fundamentally narcissistic. The complete resolution of narcissism will elude us until the achievement of self-realization. All that conventional psychotherapy can do is alleviate symptoms resulting from severe disturbances of narcissism, and, when successful, can help the individual to reach the level of the narcissism of everyday life. To proceed further and address this fundamental narcissism, only spiritual development will make a real difference. We also believe that understanding the spiritual nature of the self can help us to understand even the severe forms of narcissistic disturbance. This perspective can help us to see that we cannot separate our psychology from our spirituality, our psyche from our spirit, for we are fundamentally whole. Our self is one self, and cannot be dichotomized into a spiritual or “higher” self and a psychical or psychophysical self.

The Point of Existence, pg. 46

https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/narcissism

Approaching the Dimension of Essential Presence We Inevitably Confront the Narcissism Inherent in Our Disconnection from that Presence

When a person is working on self-realization, this narcissism is increasingly exposed; in fact, it is usually aggravated for some time. When we approach the dimension of essential presence we inevitably confront the narcissism inherent in our disconnection from that presence. The success of the work on self-realization depends, to a great degree, upon successfully resolving the arousal and intensification of narcissistic manifestations. The narcissism of everyday life is much more ubiquitous, much deeper, and much more significant than we usually allow ourselves to see. However, it dissolves steadily in the deeper stages of self-realization. Full self-realization completely eliminates this narcissism, for it is not natural to the realized self

The Point of Existence, pg. 27

https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/narcissism-everyday-life

The Gap Between Encountering True Nature and Being True Nature

This is the gap between encountering true nature and being true nature, between recognizing that spirit is and recognizing that spirit is what you are. It is a movement from a dual encounter with true nature to a nondual one. It is also the movement from experience to
realization.

The Alchemy of Freedom, pg. 38 

Characteristics of the Narcissistic Constellation

We will present this group of states and experiences in the reverse order from the sequence one encounters in the process of working through narcissism, assuming that this reverse order is the order in which these states arise in the process of alienation. We call this group of states, conditions, and structures of the self, “the narcissistic constellation” :
1. The disconnection of the self from its essential presence manifests as a profound and deep wound to the self. It is as if the very core of the self is yanked out from within it. This is the specific narcissistic wound, the hurt that expresses the pain of this fundamental loss, and
reflects the actual state of loss .....
2. Alienation from the Essential Identity leads to the loss of the profound sense of value and preciousness intrinsic to the sense of one’s identity with Being. Value is a quality of Being which, when lost, leads to a loss of self-esteem. When we are in touch with Being, self-esteem is experienced as an intrinsic feature of the self, as part of one’s inalienable human inheritance .....
3. The alienation from the Essential Identity results in narcissistic emptiness. This feels like a deficient emptiness, the specific deficiency being the feeling of absence of the sense of self. It is the loss of identity ..... 
4. The emptiness and the wound make up one structure, the emptiness wound. The emptiness and the wound are intertwined elements of narcissistic alienation. The emptiness-wound is where the hurt and vulnerability are felt .....
5. Reactions to this injury include narcissistic rage, envy, and depression. The rage has specific narcissistic features, such as lack of empathy and a sense of entitlement ..... 
6. The narcissistic injury, that is, the emptiness-wound and its various associated affects and reactions, is covered over by the self-identity, through the identification with self-images and their associated affects. The overall structure of self-identity is sometimes experienced as a shell around the deficient emptiness. This shows very clearly that the experience of being an empty shell—which is reported frequently by individuals suffering from narcissism—refers to the psychic
structure of self-identity, and that the emptiness inside this shell is the direct consequence of the alienation from the Essential Identity .....
7. One does not usually experience the shell directly as a shell; if she did, she would be aware of the deficient emptiness. The more she becomes aware of the truth of her identity, the more likely she will become aware that she is a shell, and the more aware she will become of the emptiness. The usual experience of what we are calling the shell is the sense of self characterized by a specific feeling of identity. Because of the normal feeling of identity, the ordinary individual is
not directly aware of her fundamental narcissism. As she becomes aware of her fundamental narcissism, she will recognize that her feeling of identity is based on a structure which she can perceive directly as an empty shell. This will usually make her feel phony or fake.
8. The more narcissistic the person, in other words, the greater the distance from the Essential Identity—indicating greater narcissistic injury in childhood—the more her identity is based on the grandiose self.

The Point of Existence, pg. 216, 217, 218

https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/narcissistic-constellation

Disconnection from Being

Narcissistic emptiness involves disconnection not only from the Essential Identity, but from Being as a whole. It is the absence of self-realization. It is the gap between our essential nature and who we take ourselves to be. It is the great chasm separating our experience in the conventional dimension of experience from the fundamental ground of the soul. It is the emptiness of narcissistic alienation itself. 

The Point of Existence, pg. 334

https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/narcissistic-emptiness

Cause of the Narcissistic Impasse

The narcissistic impasse is caused by confusing a phenomenological difficulty with a psychodynamic issue. The fact that experiencing the self through a self-representation alienates it from its ontological truth becomes confused with conflicts about separation involving a certain object relation. Understanding this situation is important for self-realization. Whether one can work through it determines whether one moves from dual to nondual experience of essential presence. The student may start feeling that what he truly longs for is just to be himself, merely to be, without even caring to conceptualize what he is being. He just wants to simply be, and that is all. This clarity leads to greater realization of the Essential Identity, and greater differentiation in the properties of this experience. He experiences his essential nature in many ways now, expressing the various functions of this true identity. Sometimes there is a sense of completeness. The act of being himself, which is not an activity, feels complete. The presence has no gaps. The center has no attitudes. It is just a complete existence, which is a perfect act of being. There is no familiar sense of self or no self, no sense of size or quality. At other times he feels he is nothing, but a wondrous nothing. No characteristics, no perspective, no position, and no attitude. It is total freedom. This nothing feels like a fertile nothing, a potential for experience, any and all experience. In other words, the soul recognizes itself as pure openness to experience, the actual possibility for experience, the free potential for experience.

The Point of Existence, pg. 350

Cause of the Narcissistic Impasse

The narcissistic impasse is caused by confusing a phenomenological difficulty with a psychodynamic issue. The fact that experiencing the self through a self-representation alienates it from its ontological truth becomes confused with conflicts about separation involving a certain object relation. Understanding this situation is important for self-realization. Whether one can work through it determines whether one moves from dual to nondual experience of essential presence. The student may start feeling that what he truly longs for is just to be himself, merely to be, without even caring to conceptualize what he is being. He just wants to simply be, and that is all. This clarity leads to greater realization of the Essential Identity, and greater differentiation in the properties of this experience. He experiences his essential nature in many ways now, expressing the various functions of this true identity. Sometimes there is a sense of completeness. The act of being himself, which is not an activity, feels complete. The presence has no gaps. The center has no attitudes. It is just a complete existence, which is a perfect act of being. There is no familiar sense of self or no self, no sense of size or quality. At other times he feels he is nothing, but a wondrous nothing. No characteristics, no perspective, no position, and no attitude. It is total freedom. This nothing feels like a fertile nothing, a potential for experience, any and all experience. In other words, the soul recognizes itself as pure openness to experience, the actual possibility for experience, the free potential for experience.

The Point of Existence, pg. 350 

There is No Total Freedom of Mind so Long as One is Depending on Mind for Identity

This can become a trap—what we term the narcissistic impasse—in which the student isolates himself physically or psychologically from situations or individuals that may be useful to him. This position indicates the absence of complete understanding of self-realization, the student thinking of it as a kind of mental autonomy. He is not seeing that the issue is not the influence of others, but how this influence is carried to the self. Regardless of how free his mind is, its very foundation—its concepts and words, its language and way of knowing—are all learned from the collective psyche. So there is no total freedom of mind as long as one is depending on mind for identity. More important, one must come to understand what Krishnamurti says above, that the problem is thought, that it is the mind that is the channel of influence. So freedom is not a matter of having one’s autonomous mind, it is not a matter of freedom of mind, it is, rather, a matter of freedom from mind. Mind as knowledge from the past is the barrier, even if the ideas and insights are totally one’s own. Seeing ourselves from within and through impressions from
the past is what separates us from the purity of simply being.

The Point of Existence, pg. 349 

Plus more,,,,

https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/narcissistic-issues

Provocation of Narcissistic Rage 

The narcissistic individual, or the normal individual at this phase of development, is prone to intense anger, an irrational rage, which may take the form of acute explosions or be chronic and vengeful. This narcissistic rage is provoked by the slightest—real or imagined—narcissistic insult, such as not being seen, understood, or appreciated, in the way one feels he deserves. Narcissistic envy may arise; one hates anyone who has (or seems to have), a rich inner life or external acclaim and feels pain about not having what the other has. 

The Point of Existence, pg. 327

A lot more here https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/narcissistic-shame

and here https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/narcissistic-supplies

as well as here https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/narcissistic-transference

Also,,,

https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/narcissistic-vulnerability

https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/narcissistic-wound

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

On 7/28/2020 at 8:03 AM, b_woo said:

@Leo Gura I'm curious, do you ever apologise if you offend or accidentally offend someone? 

There are no accidents here. If someone feels offended that's totally on them.

On 16.7.2020 at 11:24 PM, Leo Gura said:

When I was 7 years old I had a bunny.

Then I went on a 2 week vacation while my aunt was supposed to take care of my bunny.

When I came back they told me she left him outside in the sun in his cage and he died.

I had a bunny too as a kid

Used to call him Peter, he would hop around in the apartment, eating cables and living the good life.

One morning he had some kind of seizure and died.

I was so sad :( 

I really enjoy just reading the nicknames of people attracted to this thread.

Myself included :D

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

I love this video. Humans in general are so obsessed about people's personality when personality is a very impersonal aspect of someone's life. I see this here of course with people bashing Trump... it's not easy for a person with a well established personality to just go and change... it's like telling a depressed person to just "be happy" ... you aren't doing them any good. It's not that easy.

People's personality is a result of upbringing, habits, culture, friends, etc.  Psychopaths are very good at playing whatever role they need too in order to win people over to their side. They can be quite charming.  Trump is clearly not a psychopath by this definition.. he has the maturity level of a little kid, but I try not to attack him for this because I understand he's not going to change, assuming he's even capable of doing so.

17 minutes ago, sholomar said:

Trump is clearly not a psychopath by this definition

There was a group of psychiatrists who broke the Goldwater rule to warn the country that Donald Trump appeared to have narcissistic personality disorder. There is definitely no cure (with the possible exception of spiritual awakening, which I've never heard of in such cases). Trump has managed to turn his condition into a spectacle of entertainment. Not exactly presidential material, though.

Eckhart Tolle has commented that such mental health conditions are just a more extreme version of the everyday ego-dominated person.

Check out Todd Grande. This stuff is his life purpose, as per Leo, even.