Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toby

Crazy Wisdom: Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche

13 posts in this topic

Lots of red flags for new seekers. Notice his easiness to manipulate ideas and use spiritual concepts to justify poor choices and low consciousness behaviors.

unborn Truth

@Toby Glad this is now on YouTube and that you posted it here. I've had it on DVD for a number of years and have watched it several times. Being more than just the founder of Naropa University, he is a very prominate character in the growing spiritual movements that have occurred in the last 40 years.  He was and still is a very controversial character. Paradoxical in his behavior and how people in general view him. This documentary reveals a lot of the very dark and unseemly parts of his nature.  

If I hadn't first read his book Overcoming Spiritual Materialism, I may have dismissed him completely while watching the documentary. Overcoming Spiritual Materialism is a treasure of a book I recommend it to all.

IMG_1094.JPG

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

43 minutes ago, bejapuskas said:

Have you read his book about spiritual materialism?

Of course. It's a spiritual classic.

I liked the book too, havent watched to movie you posted tho

It is also always good to know a teachers Enneatype and Subtype. For Trungpa Rinpoche it's the sexual 8, so his unconscious patterns are quite different than from e.g. Eckhart Tolle (selfpreservation 5).

On 7/14/2020 at 0:55 PM, Zigzag Idiot said:

This documentary reveals a lot of the very dark and unseemly parts of his nature.  

The documentary was not in expose mode, it was mainly very complimentary. They mention his alcohol abuse and philandering (which his wife seems to had come to accept) , not that dark but to some questionable 

One point of the film is that he didn't hide anything

However some had made more serious allegations

https://boulderbuddhistscam.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/the-party.pdf

@Nak Khid True. Your assessment is more accurate than mine.

I shouldn't have  included what was more or less gossip that I've heard over the years and tied it to the documentary.

In my  previous post I also misquoted the book title as Overcoming Spiritual Materialism instead of Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism. If I keep making these blunders, I'll lose all credibility, provided or assuming there was even a little to begin with. 

I appreciate you posting the video just above of his full speech he made. Don't think I've seen it before. I've just started watching it.

@Toby Great point you make,,,

2 hours ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

@Nak Khid True. Your assessment is more accurate than mine.

I shouldn't have  included what was more or less gossip that I've heard over the years and tied it to the documentary.

In my  previous post I also misquoted the book title as Overcoming Spiritual Materialism instead of Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism. If I keep making these blunders, I'll lose all credibility, provided or assuming there was even a little to begin with. 

I appreciate you posting the video just above of his full speech he made. Don't think I've seen it before. I've just started watching it.

@Toby Great point you make,,,

Do you know any of Pema Chödrön's book who was for a time a student of Trungpa?

@Nak Khid No, I'm just vaguely aware of who she is. I've not read any of her books. Most of my reading has been directed lopsidedly towards students of Gurdjieff's Work. Maurice Nicoll, Ocke de Boer, Cynthia Bourgeault, Red Hawk, and William Patrick Patterson among others. Hammed Ali Almaas stands out somewhat in that he was influenced quite a bit by both Gurdjieff's work and Chogyam Trungpa.

The notion of mindfulness is definitely a strong common current I've noticed between the two influences.