Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoodrow trillson

Metal Gear Solid 2, made in 2001.

7 posts in this topic

Woah!  

Due to lockdown and quarantine I decided to replay some old games just for fun.  One of these was MGS2 for the PS2 released in 2001 produced by Hideo Kojima.  One of my favorite games ever!  When I got to this codec scene and I watched it again almost 20 years later--the resemblance to society right now is... uncanny?  Kojima is a creative genius.  I will admit, I was actually a little creeped out because when I played this as a teen, this scene just sounded like gibberish to me.  Now though, I see parallels?  O.o

For context, the Colonel on the left is an ally and your boss and helping the guy on the right (Raiden aka you the player) overthrow a group of people known as the PATRIOTS.  The Colonel in the codec radio turns out to be an advanced AI the entire damn time.  Your boss turns out to be a artificial intelligence and you've been running through all these missions to end up being duped.  Raiden turns out to be a pawn all along, and learns the extent of how the AI they used him and how they came to be.

It touches on access of information, data, digital life, privacy, human rights, truths and lies, etc.  If you have 8 mins of time, check this out!  Remember, this was made in 2001!

I recently played it a couple years ago. It's a very profound thing to stick in an action RPG. I remember being so confused by that codec conversation when I played it as a young teen and playing it over and over again  trying to understand it.   

Hideo was a seriously amazing story teller to be able to slip that in. Snake telling Raiden that he has the power to create and live out whatever he wants at the very end after you beat Solidus is even more amazing to me ?

Also the cut scene between raiden and president Johnson was pretty profound as well. He clearly knew what was up, but it was nowhere near as paradigm shattering as that final call from that AI but still. 

"The GW system is the Patriots TRUMP card."    - President Johnson 

It's my favourite game of all time. VR missions is just perfect. If you are into studying mastery, what  Hideo Kojima achieved with this game really defines it.

That game is a classic. Although Kojima has the most insanely convoluted method of story writing I have ever seen, the themes in MGS2 were fascinating.