Nick_98

Why do people argue ?

31 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

@Forestluv Or let's say when you say Ok and let it go, you are surrendering a limited form of control and gaining an infinite one. 

♥️ ? 

8 hours ago, Espaim said:

How would you proceed if someone told you one of your behaviors is bothering them?

Replying ok?

Question is So vague. Who's telling me this ? is it my friend ? someone I know ? my parents ? my partner ? 

Why's he telling me this ? did I hurt him? Is he aiming for a negative outcome ? or a positive one? for mine ? or us ? or him?

Let's give a vague example: 

X: I don't know why you keep doing x/y/z

Me: What's bothering you with it ?

X:But that's totally wrong you shouldn't be doing that because of x/y/z

My default reaction

Me (Convinced): You're absolutely right , thanks for pointing it out. (Proceed to fix the problem)

Me (Not convinced/ dishonest): You're right , thanks for pointing it out (totally toss out what he/she has said).

Me(Not convinced/ honest) : ok  (clearly showing that I don't care).

To be honest , Maybe I will hit a point down the road where he/she persists , that it would naturally opt for an argument. But I generally try to avoid it at all cost. Like the default mindset is to not get into one.

5 minutes ago, Nick_98 said:

Question is So vague. Who's telling me this ? is it my friend ? someone I know ? my parents ? my partner ? 

Why's he telling me this ? did I hurt him? Is he aiming for a negative outcome ? or a positive one? for mine ? or us ? or him?

Let's give a vague example: 

X: I don't know why you keep doing x/y/z

Me: What's bothering you with it ?

X:But that's totally wrong you shouldn't be doing that because of x/y/z

My default reaction

Me (Convinced): You're absolutely right , thanks for pointing it out. (Proceed to fix the problem)

Me (Not convinced/ dishonest): You're right , thanks for pointing it out (totally toss out what he/she has said).

Me(Not convinced/ honest) : ok  (clearly showing that I don't care).

To be honest , Maybe I will hit a point down the road where he/she persists , that it would naturally opt for an argument. But I generally try to avoid it at all cost. Like the default mindset is to not get into one.

ok

1 minute ago, Espaim said:

ok

HAHAHA, Love it :D

Synonyms:  disagree, dispute, quarrel, bicker, row, bump heads, fight, put up a struggle, talk back

Antonyms: agree, concur, give in, make peace, abstain, comply, harmonize, ignore, keep quiet/silent, overlook

What I think you mean when you say to argue: bicker, fight

What I think you mean when you say ok: ignore, keep quiet/silent

What I think are positive words: debate, argue, disagree, agree, make peace, harmonize

Edited by wwhy

Here is a scenario, as I'm not sure I get what you mean by arguing. Is this how you would act?

You get a new flatmate in your two bedroom apartment, shared bathroom. They are a pig in the bathroom (skid marks, pissing on the floor, never cleaning up etc). You have no control over who to share with, and cannot move out anytime soon because corona lockdown.

Nick_98: Hey, flatmate. Could we please clean up after ourselves with the bathroom and shared spaces?
flatmate: You are not my mom! You cannot tell me what to do.
Nick_98: Ok. [walks away while making funny expressions]

You don't need to argue with anyone, but if you feel differently about something I don't see any reason to just say 'ok' and hide your true feelings. If you care about what your friend says they should care about what you have to say too. 

People argue because they feel attached to their point of view, people who are open about things just discuss them simply even if they don't agree with each other's opinion. 

It's an enjoyable way to connect with one another.

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost