Husseinisdoingfine

Colleges are leftist indoctrination centers?

247 posts in this topic

Pres. Trump is taking funding away from supposed 'leftist indoctrination centers'

What do you think of the right wing claim that colleges turn young people into left wingers?

1594396780575.jpg

لا إله إلا الله، وليو رسول الله

Of course. Trump and his base of support are uneducated. Education to Trump is like garlic to a vampire. 

Right now, the evil teachers are preparing classes to educate about when and why confederate statues were erected. Imagine what this would do to the “Lost Cause” narrative. Oh, the horror!!!

Education turns people into lefties, so techniquely universities are 'leftist indoctrination centers'. What's so bad about universities then ? Trump hates educated people.

The wording and the intention is what matters.

Edited by VerballyHazardous

Being better educated tends to make one more progressive. What trump and many right wingers fail to understand is that universities are progressive not necessarily because there is some shady George Soros "agenda"... they are lefty as a biproduct of years of discourse. Conservative world-views are simply not tenable in an academic, critical environment. Of course, I have my issues with academia and there is a stage green bias dogma... but they are more tenable relative to blue/orange conservative dogmas and biases

I wonder what kind of curriculum trump would put together if he hypothetically had the power to singlehandedly alter it himself. 

Says the guy who doesn't care about education in the first place...bought his way into college right?

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi

27 minutes ago, Nak Khid said:

Maybe there are some MAGA approved universities 

PragerU

https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/most-conservative-colleges/

2020 Most Conservative Colleges in America

Brigham Young University -
Idaho

Cedarville University
Cedarville, OH

Liberty University
Lynchburg VA

SUNY Morrisville
Morrisville NY

Bob Jones University
Greenville, SC

Franciscan University of Steubenville
Steubenville, OH 

Colorado Christian University
Lakewood, CO

Cornerstone University
Grand Rapids, MI

Oklahoma Christian University
Edmond, OK

Oral Roberts University
Tulsa, OK

Utah State University
Logan, UT 

Biola University
La Mirada, CA 

Edited by Nak Khid

Well of course he's not wrong.

Simple test: are certain theories currently in fashion in the humanities and liberal arts e.g. allowed to be challenged (without incurring devastating social cost?) 

If not, that is indoctrination.

2 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

What do you think of the right wing claim that colleges turn young people into left wingers?

Its true and you can observe it in most universities around the world. My field of study (Psychology) which I study at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is part of the social sciences and therefore hit pretty badly. 

The ratio between conservatives and liberals changed from like 1-4 to 1-25 or something? And thats in the course from like 1990 to 2010 I think. I can see that many topics like gender differences or leadership are glossed over and many parts of the picture are omitted to fit a left-wing narrative. 

In several modules, lectures on diversity and equity are being taught and I have seen:

-Derogatory comments on white male lecturers and that they should start stepping down and make space

-Many many negative, inappropriate comments about Trump 

-Exercises where you have to point out how Trump is a fascist leader to get points

-Exam questions that have clear political motivations

-Political opinions being uttered as facts

-There is no way of countering this, you will be attacked by the lecturer and the entire class if you say your honest opinion or question the narrative

-More and more faulty studies are being used that are clearly unreliable, are biased, dont show clear results, have been debunkned, especially when it comes to women as leader, women in business, diversity (they like case studies because you can write anything in those)

There is a clear narrative and ideology in the social sciences/humanities and your test results (of scientific studies) will be suppressed if they dont fit that narrative. 

Edited by Robi Steel

I know you're tired but come. This is the way - Rumi

They are though. I took two first year English classes. One of professors literally called Trump and anyone who wears a manga hat a racist. He showed the picture of the kid who wore a maga hat in front of a Native American protester and called it racist. I was sitting back thinking to myself “man he’s just a 14 years old kid, it’s not right for a professor to humiliate him in front of the whole class based on just one photo.” Then later it came out there was more to the story and several news agencies even apologized, but the professor said “you can make out of it what you want.” We read book which literally said Trump was a racist. That entire class was all about race and politics. IMO we shouldn’t be discussing politics in such a manner in an English class. My friends have a similar experience too in other English classes.

My other English teacher said something along the lines of “Native Americans were just as technologically advanced as Europeans”. There was a lot of cultural Marxism but it was comparatively better. Lots of woo woo.

2 hours ago, Robi Steel said:

-Political opinions being uttered as facts

LOL. Your entire post was exactly that.

College "Indoctrination" is nothing compared to Stage Blue or Stage Orange culture indoctrination. All this whining and fear-mongering is preventing you from being open to the benefits of Stage Green university culture.

Edited by Extreme Z7

In this instance, there is truth to what Trump is saying. i don't know if what he's doing will help or make it worse though. Colleges are quickly becoming leftist political arms at the expense of learning. Here's a good presentation on it, from a liberal:

53 minutes ago, Raze said:

In this instance, there is truth to what Trump is saying. i don't know if what he's doing will help or make it worse though. Colleges are quickly becoming leftist political arms at the expense of learning. Here's a good presentation on it, from a liberal:

He makes some good points about Green biases and pressure academics face to stay within Green narratives, yet he also goes to far sometimes in his criticism, ime and imo. 

Tbh, many of the examples he gave I would feel uncomfortable teaching at my institution because they are not aligned with the green trajectory.

Of course university culture is Green and they will push a Green set of values. Nothing surprising about this.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Of course university culture is Green and they will push a Green set of values. Nothing surprising about this.

In particular, the arts and humanities are Green. Economics, math and science still has quite a bit of orange.

13 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

In particular, the arts and humanities are Green. Economics, math and science still has quite a bit of orange.

It's similar to Silicon Valley. They are Green on social/culture issues, and Orange on economic and metaphysical issues.

A capitalist is much more threatened by relinquishing Orange values on economics, metaphysics, and epistemology than they are in being pro-gay, pro-women, pro-minority. It doesn't cost Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Tesla, etc much to be Green on social/cultural issues. But it costs them tens of billions to give up Orange economics.

The engine that runs most universities is still Orange capitalism/materialism. With a Green outer shell.

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It's similar to Silicon Valley. They are Green on social/culture issues, and Orange on economic and metaphysical issues.

There are some internal orange vs green conflicts occurring within colleges and universities. At my institution, I’d say orange had the upper hand until about 3 years ago - in particular because science and economics departments bring in much more students and $$$. About three years ago, things were about even. This is the first year that green has the numbers at my institution. There is resistance, yet the tide has turned. 

6 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

There are some internal orange vs green conflicts occurring within colleges and universities. At my institution, I’d say orange had the upper hand until about 3 years ago - in particular because science and economics departments bring in much more students and $$$. About three years ago, things were about even. This is the first year that green has the numbers at my institution. There is resistance, yet the tide has turned. 

Yeah, that's sounds about right.

49 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

56 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

The engine that runs most universities is still Orange capitalism/materialism. With a Green outer shell.

So as more "green" subjects are studied...more green studied people in society-but with no jobs since the economy is orange?  

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi