Mada_

How did you overcome binge eating/backsliding?

7 posts in this topic

Is it possible to completely eradicate unhealthy eating, like to just never do it ever again? Because I would love to do this lol, and if anybody has done so I would love to hear your perspective.

What I understand from Leo's video on addiction is that there is an existential reason we behave in such ways: the fear of emptiness.

I'm reading a book by a functional medical doctor called Susan Blum, who says that not giving your body the right nutrients to support the immune system, can create a specific circumstance within the body that results in craving sugar and salty food.

So to connect the two perspectives:

- Doing nothing/spiritual work

- Giving your body adequate nutrients

Is the solution to craving unhealthy food.

Could the idea of "achieving perfect health" be detrimental. Because it assumes that there is one, specific circumstance that is perfect health, but health and fitness does vary depending on what one wants from their health e.g. A yogi eats lots of raw food (positive pranic), a bodybuilder will eat high calories with lots of protein, a starving African child will be given meal replacement powder to help them gain weight. 

I find it difficult to let go of this idea of being in "perfect health", because whenever I binge eat unhealthy food, I feel immense guilt and all that fills my mind is the longing to change back to when I felt good and being on top of my health. 

I would love for people to share their perspectives on their health journey, and share tips on how to overcome binge eating. Was there a specific moment when you decided "okay, that's it, I'm only eating healthy food from now on" and never went back on it?

Just don’t have any of the foods you are trying to aviod at the house. Then you don’t have to spent will power on trying to resist it.

I think if you accept that there will be back and forths it goes a lot better. There are backlashes with everything, but if we don't identify with them, it cuts the power of them over us. Try to find out what is triggering the binge eating, what time of day do they happen, etc? Journaling from a curious, NOT judgmental perspective could be really insightful. Also eating a good breakfast with protein and adding veggies into your diet and making that a habit can have really positive effects. 

You don't succeed by focusing on behavior you don't want, so instead focus on adding in healthy habits that inspire you. Also scheduling in treats can help for some people, because they look forward to the treat rather than focusing on deprivation. It's really about watching your own psychology and feelings around food because we have our own unique motivations and fears around food. Judgement blocks us from seeing them, so curiosity is key. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@BjarkeT  I live with my parents at the moment, so when I move out i will definitely do this. Thankyou.

@mandyjw  Thank you Mandy <3, I think I will do some journaling tomorrow. I've also got some recipes for traditional Indian deserts from a cookbook by Sadghuru, so I might schedule one of those in as this is a healthier options.

Plan your meals ahead of time, talk to your parents and ask if they can buy you certain food. Also, unless you're preparing for some fitness competition, give yourself some leeway, or you'll end up destroying yourself mentally, 90/10 is a good aim to shoot for, meaning when you do eat unhealthy, you simply allow and enjoy the experience, instead of beating yourself up!

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi