Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Xochiquetzal

Using Sceletium tortuosum (Kanna) to replace SSRIs ?

3 posts in this topic

Hello . 

I've been struggling with PTSD and Depression lately . Feeling that low I felt like I had to see a psychiatrist . He prescribed me lots of meds, Sertraline (Zoloft) is an ISRS antidepressant, Prazepam which is a benzodiazepine and Zopiclone which is a sedative . The Sertraline only has limited benefits and It makes me loose my appetite and sex drive . So I'm not very glad about addictive sedatives and useless antidepressants, I started looking at what else could help elevate my chemecally imbalanced  mood .

And I found about Sceletium tortuosum, better known as Kanna is a ancient plan from South Africa, used for mood enhancement and relaxation . It is not that toxic and has similar effects as SSRIs, indeed it acts as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor . 

I gave it a try and boiled a bit more than half a gram of dried Kanna leaves, I also added some Valeriane for relaxation, honey and ginger for the taste . With enough honey and Valeriane it is pretty good tasting !

The onset was about 1hour and I had a great relief from my depressive and anxious symptoms . I actually felt good just about living, contemplating, reading, all those pleasures that depression and anxiety annihilate .  

Has anyone used Kanna instead of Anti Depressant drugs ? 

I would prefer drinking those natural plants than using the conventional and very addictive anti depressants and sedatives . 

If I ever switch from Anti Depressants to Kanna with success, I will write some kind of natural  self medication here .

By the way, Kanna acts as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor therefore you should never mix it with Anti Depressants like Zoloft, Prozac, you should also never mix that with tramadol, MDMA, psychedelic drugs or MAOIs .

The Sceletium tortuosum plant

kana.jpg         

Love

Any update on Kanna?

Does anybody know anything about this plant?

I know that SJW (Saint John's Wort) is an herbal SSRI. You may try it if you feel it would help.