Leo Gura

Libertarian Examples Mega-Thread

187 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You entire society will collapse with one stray mutated gene.

You are thinking of human creatures in their baseline biological form.  That will certainly change.

15 minutes ago, Girzo said:

That's a weak point of Stage Orange ideologies and models.

I am not talking about THAT libertarianism.

47 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

You are thinking of human creatures in their baseline biological form.  That will certainly change.

The Universe works as such that if something can happen on a biological level, then an anologues event to that can happen at a psychological, spiritual, etc. level.

It's being called an infinite fractal for that reason, the Universe is self-similar. Everything is prone to change, you are safe nowhere.

14 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Deepity

I had had to look it up and the first site that came up was RationalWiki ...

Anyhow, I don't see how that term applies. You have tried to miss the argument by saying that this only happens to biological organisms and then I point out to you that it happens to every kind of organism, whether it's a human cyborg, bacteria or some immaterial ghost. If it's that trival then why would you make your argument in the first place.

1 hour ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Numbers and opportunity are also factors.

A few years ago, volunteers cleared out all the invasive plants in a meadow within our nature center. There was now plenty of fertile soil, space and sunlight for wild flowers to flourish. . . Last week, I went back to that meadow. One single invasive plant got in their and took over the whole meadow. It’s now dominated by the invasive plants. 

My point is that a common human will have a significant number of problems greater than those of a genetically modified cyborg with a superior brain and an in-body machine that allows them to be constantly high on LSD.  If we develop enough to get posthuman gods, anarchism is viable if not inevitable.

@AtheisticNonduality That's a little bit more than just post-scarcity, but I am okay with it. 

But why cannot some cyborg just gain control of resources and create artificial scarcity to have power over others just for the thrill of it? If some system prevents that it's not anarchism then.

"Everyone will be programmed to be loving and kind by default." Ok, but if you can't voluntarily change yourself into a murderous psychopath, then it's not anarchism.

Although, I am of opinion that neither of our current political labels will match that very far future awaiting us. I just find it wrong to use such dreamy examples as a way of validating anarchism or other similar ideologies as something that is progressive or has a future - it does not.

@Girzo I'm not proposing a Clockwork Orange type scenario where free will doesn't exist, but one where people discover and desire the right thing based on their natural condition without coercion.

32 minutes ago, Girzo said:

"Everyone will be programmed to be loving and kind by default."

That cannot possibly happen because all survival is relative.

You're not appreciating the depth of this problem.

There cannot EVER be such as thing as perfect goodness within the relative domain of form because perfect Goodness is only available to Infinite Consciousness, which is formless.

If an organism could simply be programmed to act good, God would have already done that. God made organisms selfish precisely because it was necessary for their survival.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

21 minutes ago, louhad said:

@Leo Gura @Girzo  idk, you never know what could be possible hundreds or thousands of years from now

do you think it is possible that god made extraterrestrials that are all programmed to be enlightened?

Even if they are enlightened, they must still care about survival, otherwise they'd be dead.

@Leo Gura could it be possible that survival is only a necessity of life based on how we conceptualize what life is from a human/earthly frame of reference?

Like what if the aliens were immortal and/or just didn't have an internalized drive to survive the way that life on earth currently does?

3 minutes ago, louhad said:

Like what if the aliens were immortal and/or just didn't have an internalized drive to survive the way that life on earth currently does?

Immortality for relative beings doesn't exist. Only God is immortal.

6 minutes ago, louhad said:

Then I don't see how you'd be able to interact with them because they'd already be dead before you arrived.

And if there's millions of them, they need some kind of political system to manage themselves with.

28 minutes ago, Girzo said:

Immortality for relative beings doesn't exist. Only God is immortal.

What if I preserve a physical object for an indefinite amount of time?

1 hour ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

What if I preserve a physical object for an indefinite amount of time?

That cannot happen because all form is impermanent.

But also all objects are already eternal if you realize that time is mental fabrication.

The duality between permanence and impermanence must ultimately collapse into an Eternal Unity.

I am the only thing stopping myself from receiving infinite Love form Myself. I am Infinite Love for god sake.

28 minutes ago, Austin Actualizing said:

@Eren Eeager It's hard to believe why some people get so upset over guys offering free masks. I don't get it

It's a culture war. American nationalists feel like their culture is dying and they will fight to defend it at all costs.

11 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It's a culture war. American nationalists feel like their culture is dying and they will fight to defend it at all costs.

Or people don’t buy the science behind wearing masks to protect against viruses ?