Hans

What do you do when you hit a total plateau in life?

6 posts in this topic

I feel like I've hit a dead end recently. Last week I experienced some extreme emotions of loneliness, the ones where you physically ache all over the body from the emotion. Over the course of a week I managed to work through this, using mindfulness and parts work.

The result was that something shifted within me. My work as an automation engineer used to be interesting for me, now I have really low motivation and I'm counting the hours until work ends. My lifestyle, which involved mainly my job, exercise and playing music occasionally, doesn't excite me. Even food doesn't seem appetising. What I feel now is some sort of apathy (too tired even for sadness after last week :D). The fact that I don't feel excitement for life really bothers me.

I'm currently thinking whether this will get better on its own or is it time to consciously change things up - try new jobs, new social circles. Also could be a good time to get the life purpose course.

Point is, when the old way just doesn't work anymore, but you don't know what the new way could be - what do you do?

Can relate, going through this right now.

This basically means that your old ways of doing things aren't going to work anymore, almost like you aced a level in a video game but to go to the next one you have to transform into something else.

It is time to let the old die and the new to flourish.

Create a new, more authentic vision of the future you really want to live.

Deep soul searching is required.

Alone time.

Contemplation.

Paper and pen.

Make powerful questions to yourself and just write freely.

Try new stuff, don't be afraid of bold life changes like moving to another city, selling all your stuff etc.

I do a 1-2 day Meditation/Contemplation, fasting retreats.
May even have walking meditation and higher self channeling in the mix.
I prepare everything the night before.

Or just strait jack myself with acid and lose my mind for a day or few. Idk.

Hey Hans, I think you need a new set of commitments, if you commit for new things it will fresh up your prespective, maybe life if showing you something right now, keep your eyes open.

I just do the mundane, and go with the flow, something new comes up eventually as long as you take action on those things that come up. Feeling apathy is normal. I felt it for almost a year with various feelings coming up once in a while. Just make sure to have the courage to speak out your feelings in words like this is this feeling and this is that feeling. It'll make you conscious of various feelings that arise.

Thanks for the input, guys. Seems to really be an end of a chapter and some sort of limbo phase. Yesterday while running I listened to the video about life unfolding in chapters and phases, which helped to contextualize and guide this time I'm having. A time of contemplating what I want and need and keeping eyes open for new visions to present themselves. In my case, less alone time might be good, @Recursoinominado, because I've found that being alone too much is exactly what's bothering me about my current life.

Although I have to say the outlook of feeling apathy for a year is terrifying, @Strangeloop. I can barely stand it for a few days. :D Waking up in the morning and having the first thought be "...fuck" - it's horrible. But of course the lengths of these phases are very individual.

The hard part is not letting myself plunge into a hole of despair, which wants to happen from time to time. I've been running a lot lately, and the runs have become longer and longer. Also visiting spas and taking really strong sauna sessions. Completely exhausting myself physically is probably the only thing I feel motivation for right now. I've found I can be really mindful during this and work through emotions that come up.