Wisebaxter

A Cool New Practice I Created - Forgetting

12 posts in this topic

Ok, so basically you start listing things in your life, concepts really, that dominate your experience, and saying 'forget so and so...'

So an example for me would be:

Forget enlightenment. Forget awareness. Forget spirituality. Forget Leo. Forget Rupert Spira. Forget frustration. Forget regret. Forget eating. Forget wanting. Forget love. Forget God. Forget mum. Forget my brother. Forget family. 

It feels like you're purging concepts out of your system. It helps if you're feeling a bit frustrated with it all. It's almost like an act of letting go and seeing what you're left with, similar to Neti Neti meditation. Eventually you'll be labelling things that are coming into your mind. Like, forget obligation. I drifted off to sleep doing this and had a really profound dream about enlightenment. So you're reprogramming the subconscious mind too. Give it a go. I wanted to share as I found it really interesting and cathartic. I may choose a word that's a bit kinder than 'forget.' At the time I was fed up. I might be kinder to myself and say 'thank you' to those things instead, for making an appearance. Thank and you and farewell. Who knows. Forget works well though. 

Edited by Wisebaxter

I once had a similar thing. I would write a word, like 'enlightenment', 'my life', 'I am human', etc. and then I would scratch the word. It felt the idea or the charge around it got a little erased when doing that.

3 hours ago, Wisebaxter said:

I may choose a word that's a bit kinder than 'forget.'

For-Get. 

For —used to indicate the place someone or something is going to or toward.

Get — succeed in attaining, achieving, or experiencing; obtain.

Without the for, you can't get. Without the get, you don't know what for

2 hours ago, Waken said:

I once had a similar thing. I would write a word, like 'enlightenment', 'my life', 'I am human', etc. and then I would scratch the word. It felt the idea or the charge around it got a little erased when doing that.

@Waken Yeah I felt the same thing last night. It also made me become aware of the sheer amount of concepts that have been weaved throughout my life. 

I'll try the crossing out too and see how that feels 

1 hour ago, JosephKnecht said:

For-Get. 

For —used to indicate the place someone or something is going to or toward.

Get — succeed in attaining, achieving, or experiencing; obtain.

Without the for, you can't get. Without the get, you don't know what for

@Wisebaxter Wow that's almost like a zen koan. I've read it through a few times and it's very layered. It seems like forget does have a certain power to it. I was just worried about neglecting aspects of my shadow or making them feel unloved if I used it. I've heard it said that they need to be returned to the light with love. 

Also, when you just use forget as opposed to something longer you can reel off lists a lot faster. The word forget feels pleasing too somehow

@Johnny5 Haha amazing dude, forget about it! It really does feel good. Today I've been using 'fuck' instead of 'forget,' as I'm needing to drive it home a little more. Still feels pretty damn good. Fuck personal hygiene, felt good. 

Interesting.

One that I like to use that is very powerful is:

"It's okay to ........."

For example, it's okay to be lazy, it's okay to be selfish, it's okay to be an asshole, etc.

The moment I accept a nasty thing, it begins to fix it on its own.

“The desire for a more positive experience is itself a negative experience.  And, paradoxically, the acceptance of one’s negative experience is itself a positive experience.” ~ Mark Mason

one day this will all be memories

On 05/07/2020 at 9:39 PM, kag101 said:

Interesting.

One that I like to use that is very powerful is:

"It's okay to ........."

For example, it's okay to be lazy, it's okay to be selfish, it's okay to be an asshole, etc.

The moment I accept a nasty thing, it begins to fix it on its own.

@kag101 Oh I feel you on this one buddy, and I love that quote. I was a bit concerned about negating my shadow aspects, so I'm experimenting with different language. The practice you're referring to seems more geared at accepting emotions that arise whereas this one covers that and also any concept you can think of, so a lot of stuff that appears to be external. So you wouldn't really say 'it's ok to 'cars,' if you get me. As I'm not just concerned with internal emotions perhaps it's safer to use the term 'forget,' but I'm still figuring it out. All I know is, forget feels so final and quick fire. You can reel off so much stuff using that word. Anything longer can seem a bit clunky. Thanks for sharing your thoughts dude 

Edited by Wisebaxter

@Wisebaxter I was riding a moped in Hawaii, worrying about something back home. Then I suddenly got distracted by the beauty around me. I was like “I’m riding a moped around Hawaii! This is so cool!”. I realized I forgot what I was worrying about. It must have been important, since I was worrying about it. Yet I couldn’t remember what it was. So I figured I might as well just enjoy my time riding the moped. 

@Forestluv

On 07/07/2020 at 3:43 PM, Forestluv said:

@Wisebaxter I was riding a moped in Hawaii, worrying about something back home. Then I suddenly got distracted by the beauty around me. I was like “I’m riding a moped around Hawaii! This is so cool!”. I realized I forgot what I was worrying about. It must have been important, since I was worrying about it. Yet I couldn’t remember what it was. So I figured I might as well just enjoy my time riding the moped. 

Wow I love this. So basically what we have here is an empirical experience that showed you your suffering was predicated upon memory and entirely thought based and conceptual. That's so powerful. I mean, you can have an idea in your head that this is the case, but you had an actual experience. Reminds me of the time I had this insight that if you're able to let something go from your mind, it can't be real, hence the fact that it comes.... and goes....perhaps this forgetting practice is a sort of follow on from that.

I'm also reminded of something Peter Ralston says in the Book of not Knowing. He says something like 'do you know it to be true, without a shadow of a doubt? If not, it has to be a concept/idea and therefore it's not real, so let it go. I think he calls the exercise 'empying the cup'

On 07/07/2020 at 3:29 PM, Nahm said:

@Wisebaxter

Yep. The power of forgetting can create worlds. I can feel you from here my man. ? Feels good. ?? 

@Nahm Ah this hit me right in the heart-space Nahm. Always nice to hear from you 

Edited by Wisebaxter

On 06/07/2020 at 6:08 PM, Wisebaxter said:

it's safer to use the term 'forget,' but I'm still figuring it out. All I know is, forget feels so final and quick fire. You can reel off so much stuff using that word.

Just careful not to get neurotically nihilistic.

one day this will all be memories