rnd

Preaching X and doing opposite of X secretely

13 posts in this topic

Is there a phenomenon that if a person preaches X, he's himself more likely to do the opposite of X and secretely so? If yes, what's it called?

Projection, judgment, and moralization.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

7 minutes ago, rnd said:

Is there a phenomenon that if a person preaches X, he's himself more likely to do the opposite of X and secretely so? If yes, what's it called?

Politics. 

23 minutes ago, rnd said:

Being a confused mathematician.

Like.. Hypocrisy?  Most preachers are hypocrites. I think the phenomenon you're looking for is human or ego behaviour. 

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

58 minutes ago, rnd said:

That's bullshitry or the human domain. ?

For instance, a person shouts from rooftops "we should love animals" but he himself secretly will abuse them, and also is more likely so, compared to people who don't actively spread the idea of loving animals. And he'll deny that or he may be more blind to the fact he really abuses them.

At youtube, someone who eats junk food, sometimes, and hides the fact, will create a channel where he preaches and teaches others to eat healthy food always and that he eats only it always too. And  maybe also he'll justify to himself why eats bad food sometimes.

Is there a special, well-known single term for this phenomenon or behaviour? If it exists at all - I don't know, I heard somewhere.

Edited by rnd

Hypocrisy - may be.

@rnd Denial? By loudly proclaiming to do the opposite of what you really do, you can pretend to feel better about the bad stuff that you do. "I'm SUCH a health freak!" is a good way to avoid thinking about the fact that you've just eaten your third chocolate cake this week.

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

human

idk if preaching it automatically makes you more likely to do it but

things you judge and condemn, are parts of your own psyche that you haven't owned [which shadow work helps uncover and integrate]

a lot of times when people are preaching, they're judging and condemning 

sometimes you may be just letting someone know (out of love), or be trying to spread awareness (out of love). this obv wouldn't be projection 

i think if it comes from love and understanding, it wouldn't be a projection (just a side note)

edit: i just read "doing it secretly so" - yeah this would be a projection 

what you've denied in yourself, comes often as a projection which often comes in the form of teaching/preaching/condemning. if there's a judgement that comes in the form of shame, attached to it, i want to be bold to say, it's a projection.

projections can be helpful, whenever i catch myself teaching or preaching, i immediately go, ahhh there's my lesson. 

there's tons of books on this phenomena. if you look for something in shadow work you will deal with this 

there's also something where when you strictly identify with a label, perhaps as good, smart, helpful, ambitious etc. the opposite can be your shadow. so if you say "i'm a good person", you sometimes have a shadow where you are the opposite. 

it's cool stuff - i first learned this stuff from leo, he has very good knowledge on this subject i think. but i did my own self study and reading after this. this is one of my favorite topics

Gary vee has some good examples of what im saying here if ur familiar - like when Gary vee tells people you shouldn't care what people think and then one of his core motivation for business he says is to prove people wrong 

Also gary vee preaches empathy, but in a lot of his helpings you can see he doesn't empathize and just gives advice 

These come in the form of judgements/moralizing 

Edited by Jacob Morres

It's hypocrisy, but it sounds untrue to suppose that someone is more likely than average to go against their own teachings. I think in general people try to live up to their own words, though i could be wrong.

In terms of defense mechanisms it sounds like reaction formation.

@Artsu there's a spectrum of hypocrisy... One can be open hypocrites, closeted, or unintentional. For example I have gained alot of 'wisdom' over the years and can give great advice every now and then like 'oh you should meditate to help your problems' but I make no promise that I actually follow my own advice. 

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay