Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rasheed

How to master self-help?

4 posts in this topic

It's not about becoming self-help guru, if someone wants to do that, no problem of course :), but I mean, in my opinion, it really really helps for aby endeavor to be master at self help. So, how to master it? How you guys who do this work go about mastering it?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

Well, one way to do it would be:

Watch Leo's series about spiral dynamics, then further study the subject via books or whatever.

Once fully understood, assess for yourself at which stages you're currently at. Then invest time and effort to move yourself up along the stages until all aspects of your person and psyche have reached turquoise.

I don't want to be that guy who marches into threads like this and says "THE SELF IS AN ILLUSION, GET RID OF IT, NO POINT IN MASTERING IT!!!111".

For real though, you can't really master the self since it doesn't exist. Of course that doesn't mean that you can't and shouldn't improve your current life situation. There's nothing wrong with self-help, sometimes it's necessary, but don't fall into the trap of constantly trying to improve everything, that is "mastering" the self. It'd be quite an uphill battle.

Maybe contemplate what you want to improve, what areas in your life you think you need to get better. Try to be as honest and as authentic as possible. If you figured it out, then start taking actions and try to master that particular area. I'm pretty sure you have strengths and aspects of yourself that you're satisifed with, so you don't really need to master everything about yourself.

Also, I don't really agree with the @rav . The spiral dynamics model is great and really useful, but it's just a model. You can't apply it to everybody precisely because everybody is a mixture of stages and everybody has different desires/needs/wants. Some people tend to think that this whole framework is about getting to the top (turqoise) as fast as possible. Some people even reject and deny certain aspects of themselves because their current stage doesn't match the stage they want to get to. It can be quite a trap.

(If that's not the case for you guys, then I didn't say anything :))

It wouldn't be called self-help if we help you. :P

I think you can check out Amazon reviews to see which books have good reviews and then buy and read them. 

It's good to have different variety of books such as biography, novels, psychology books to learn from different angles. Always great to learn from different authors too.