Husseinisdoingfine

How would you respond to this PragerU video?

22 posts in this topic

Putting this in self actualization because this video is not political

Prager U's pitiful attempt at self help

So, why are young people unhappy?

''To be happy we must not be too concerned with others''.

Albert Camus

Posted (edited)

All you need to know about PragerU is they are pseudo-secularist reactionaries who cling to every minor truism they come across.

I would actually recommend their videos if they weren't so insistent on being so combative and forcing an anti-liberal slant into every script.

I wish all these media companies would just calm their tits once in a while, when are they going to get sick of slinging mud at each other? It's exhausting just WATCHING.

Edited by Roy

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

Lack of Love, lack of God

Nihilistic ideologies

Bad parenting

Bad education

Toxic internet platforms

Bad food and drink

Bad air

Bad living habit

Suppressed feeling, thoughts, memories, traumas

Addiction of all kinds

Loneliness

Toxic masculinity

Toxic femininity

Poor living condition

Not knowing how to detect and resolve internal conflicts, which leads to suffering

Endless coping

Older generations blaming and shaming them

The ultimately empty chase of material

We look back and laugh at medieval people for not inderstanding bacterias, people from the future look back and laugh at us for not understanding emotions.

This video does not have an agenda, it is an agenda made into a video. Notice how the vision that he portrays and claims to want to uphold is not a bad one- people having a sense of meaning in their life, basic stability, being able to marry and raise children, feeling yourself to be part of a good country, etc... It is the old conservative spiel of clinging to a past that never existed.

While these values and this vision are not bad, in fact very necessary and foundational they will not allow a clear and unbiased view of how things work now, much less how they will work in the future. They will stand in the way of policies needed for the change to come and the disposition needed to address current and past injustices without bias.

The future will need more government for example as automation grows exponentially to make sure nobody is left behind for good and we won't have a situation of capitalism gone wild.

But also investigate your intentions with posting this here under that title. Did you need some kind of echo chamber to convince you of just why this man is bad? Perhaps you found that you actually resonate with some of the values and the way of life outlined in this video. In which case you might have some blue to integrate, and should not seek justification for your judgement of it.

1) Create a problem that people relate to. 2) Define the cause of the problem. 3) Offer a solution for the problem according to one’s agenda. This can be done at every level of the spiral. At a blue level, a religious person could tell a someone with anxiety that they are a sinner, yet if they turn their life over to a particular god they will feel worthy and go to heaven for eternity. An Orange level person might say that they need to set goals, achieve and become financially independent that they will feel worthy and be happier.

Every person that feels lonely is vulnerable to being manipulated by other’s that have an agenda. Imagine someone that feels overwhelmed by having so many friends and constantly doing social activities. They desire some alone time in life to breath. They would not be vulnerable to messages about feeling alone. It won’t resonate with them.

Notice how he frames the problem as “young people now feel lonelier than ever before?” and then he builds off of this assumption. How does he know this is true? How does he know young people in 2020 are lonelier than young people in 1920? They didn’t even have polling in 1920. By making the underlying assumption that young people are the loneliest they have ever been, he can start asking “why?” And then slip in “meaning and values”, from a conservative frame. That is: if young people were happier in the past, let’s return to the “values” of the past - such as Christian values. This is a regressive, conservative mindset. It is not a forward thinking mindset.

STAGE BLUE

Also, interesting how they think of drug abuse as a "cause" of unhappiness rather than a "symptom" of unhappiness. Seems to be a typical stage blue view of drugs.

Just another video of t1 twisting stuff to fit their worldview.

Click the back button.

Do not respond to delusion on its terms. This is an important life lesson.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

56 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Couldn’t agree more with Leo. Change the channel asap. 

Same thoughts here. Pick and choose your battles. PragerU isn't worth the effort.

Posted (edited)

I havent yet watched the video but ill try and guess the content from the title 

- Young people are more unhappy than ever before, show studies that demonstrate this, maybe reference how many take anxiety or depression meds 

- Present a solution to this - Conservative values - community, going to church and having friends based around that. Aim for long term relationships, stability and structure. Show studies about how people who pray and go to church are happier and more fulfilled 

- Maybe something about how the left suggests a more liberal attitude and how this doesnt work

OK gonna watch to see how close i got 

Edited by Consept

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

brilliant    

''To be happy we must not be too concerned with others''.

Albert Camus

He is right. The number one reason young people are depressed is because of lack of meaning and values. 

All over the world, especially here in the West, we have largely dismantled religion and cultural values. People are faced with nihilism and most handle it in destructive ways which include drugs, video game addiction, instant gratification, passionless life, no goals, etc. When one is faced with nihilism one has two options: adopt the societal value system provided by religion/culture or go beyond nihilism by realizing that meaning is self-created. Most people are not wise enough to ever go beyond nihilism, so for them meaning and value is provided by society. We are doing them a disservice by dismantling religion and cultural values completely. Of course, radical orthodox religions are dangerous, but we can have less radical and more flexible interpretations of religions as well. A lot of people will be happier, productive, passionate, and overall better off by getting their meaning and values from religion and culture.

I have witnessed it firsthand both in myself and others. Although I don’t follow any religion, I have seen my friends become increasing attached to one identity, religion, or culture because it provides them with a sense of meaning in life and they are less depressed as a result of that. Most people simply lack the awareness to come to terms with meaninglessness and to realize meaning is self-created and important for a good life. 

On 28.6.2020 at 7:27 PM, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Putting this in self actualization because this video is not political

Prager U's pitiful attempt at self help

So, why are young people unhappy?

He's not entirely wrong. I feel like there's a grain of truth in there. People do need a community to belong to, and meaning.

But I didn't like the video otherwise and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's super easy to get caught in the fluff of what he's saying. He wants everyone to have certain kind of values, while in reality all people have very different values. And he's saying that the community to belong to has to be a certain way, which is obviously bs. He also probably wants people to subscribe to a certain particular form of religion as well. I also believe that people need spirituality, but they should be free to choose the form.

And what was that claim that everyone wants to emigrate to the US? I don't think that's a statistic fact. Sounds like his own wishful thinking and idolization of his own country. Not to say that there's anything wrong with the US. I just don't believe what he said about everyone wanting to emigrate there.

On 28/06/2020 at 7:40 PM, VerballyHazardous said:

Lack of Love, lack of God

Nihilistic ideologies

Bad parenting

Bad education

Toxic internet platforms

Bad food and drink

Bad air

Bad living habit

Suppressed feeling, thoughts, memories, traumas

Addiction of all kinds

Loneliness

Toxic masculinity

Toxic femininity

Poor living condition

Not knowing how to detect and resolve internal conflicts, which leads to suffering

Endless coping

Older generations blaming and shaming them

The ultimately empty chase of material

We look back and laugh at medieval people for not inderstanding bacterias, people from the future look back and laugh at us for not understanding emotions.

AMEN!

Problem is,
Addiction, Parenting, Bad Air, Toxic Food --> Baby Boomer egos fucked us up.

Be positive in a world where you either eat poison or have to spend 2k a month on FOOD

I create Documentaries on Modern Health and Living Well.
@ YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuRjEAERr0iSorCidZ66N8g

Doesn't happiness come from alignment with your own values?