Leo Gura

Spiral Dynamics Stage Red Examples Mega-Thread

1,094 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Sam Barker said:

@Carl-Richard One continuous sound of literally anything would get annoying.

Try it out and compare it to another continuous sound. My guess is that one of them will make you considerably more stressed.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

5 minutes ago, Sam Barker said:

@Carl-Richard True, continuous harsher sounds would get old faster than continuous gentler sounds, but that's beside the point. What we're talking about is genres of music, which aren't single continuous sounds. To say that death metal is just a continuous growl is also a massive generalisation. There are many subgenres of death metal. It is important to make these distinctions in this type of discussion. 

I don't think we should be creating a hierarchy of sounds within music and claim that some are higher in consciousness than others. The more we reject certain sounds, the less inclined we will be to open our minds to different forms of emotional expression in music. 

Making the sound continuous is not really besides the point. It just demonstrates the point in a clear way. Do genres with harsher sounds lead to a greater amount of stress compared to gentler music? Yes. There has even been done science on this:

https://nutritionfacts.org/2017/12/07/the-health-effects-of-heavy-metal-music/

1 hour ago, Sam Barker said:

@Carl-Richard 

"The more we reject certain sounds, the less inclined we will be to open our minds to different forms of emotional expression in music."

Touching a hot stove can also be used as a spiritual practice. That is beside the point though.

Just now, Sam Barker said:

@Carl-Richard Was your ex a heavy metal fan or something? :D Comparing music to touching a stove, I mean really... 

No. I've been listening to metal for 12 years though :). It was an analogy, not an equation. Just because something can be used as a spiritual practice doesn't mean it's inherently spiritual. The journey is not the destination.

Lovely :) 

3 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

That should be Biden's only campaign ad.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

9 hours ago, K Ghoul said:

@AtheisticNonduality And Ted Bundy did not rape and kill anyone. 
Could you elaborate on why you think it’s not Red, and what color you think it is? 

1 hour ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

@K Ghoul It can happen at any color.

It begins at red and then gets milder and milder at every new color. The abusive kind is red/blue. A few slaps here and there can probably exist even in turqoise.

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

56 minutes ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

This video was made not too long after that guy, Elliot Rodger, ran his truck into all of those people.

Man that's so sad...bonding over self-loathing..

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

00:28  & 00:46 seem like prime examples

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Keep in mind that there can be healthy ways to express Red animalistic impulses in harmless ways. For example, playing a violent video game could a healthy way for kids to experience their Red shadow without hurting anyone and ultimately outgrowing the desire for violence. This, as opposed to kids who start fist-fights at school.

Just saw how Han Solo has some Red in him.  Especially at the start of the story.  More healthy aspects I'd say though: daring, audacity, shoot first and ask later, action oriented, etc.  Perhaps he moves into Blue as well later as his character develops.  

Jabba I'd say is also Red, though, perhaps a more unhealthy version and probably has more of it.

@Matt23 Not Red since he didn't shoot first :P

Jabba is a good Red example!

A Red tyrant would love that rancor pit.

@Leo Gura What about when he shot that alien dude in the bar?  He seems very action-oriented to me and like he's able to utilize Red aspects to get out of trouble, and use his courage, warrior spirit, and audacity; like he did in this video with Jabba.. Jabba had him surrounded but he acted so cool and like he didn't care at all.  Like fighting, escaping and out-flying others.   It's like that Indiana Jones type of adventurous warrior spirit... lots of action, daring, fighting, etc.  Not too well thought out...  Would you not say those are healthy aspects of Red being put to use?   

He's no Joe Pesci, I can see that though haha...  I'm having trouble placing Han on the spiral...  Orange-ish?