Leo Gura

Spiral Dynamics Stage Red Examples Mega-Thread

1,094 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura

What do you think of these heavy metal lyrics that are supposedly low consciousness?

[Intro]

"See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor - go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CDs and burn 'em. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who've made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years... real fucking high on drugs."

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, that's what it is, okay? Keep that in mind at all times, thank you."

[Verse 1]
Dreaming of that face again
It's bright and blue and shimmering
Grinning wide
And comforting me with its three warm and wild eyes

[Verse 2]
On my back and tumbling
Down that hole and back again (And back again)
Rising up
And wiping the webs and the dew from my withered eye

[Refrain]
In, out, in, out, in, out

[Verse 3]
A child's rhyme stuck in my head
It said that life is but a dream
I've spent so many years in question
To find I've known this all along

[Chorus]
So good to see you
I've missed you so much
So glad it's over
I've missed you so much
Came out to watch you play
Why are you running away?
Why are you running?

[Verse 4]
Shrouding all the ground around me
Is this holy crow above me
Black as holes within a memory
And blue as our new second sun
I stick my hand into the shadow
To pull the pieces from the sand
Which I attempt to reassemble
To see just who I might have been
I do not recognize the vessel
But the eyes seem so familiar
Like phosphorescent desert buttons
Singing one familiar song

[Chorus]
So good to see you
I've missed you so much
So glad it's over
I've missed you so much

[Refrain]
Prying open my third eye
Prying open my third eye
Prying open my third eye
Prying open my third eye

[Chorus]
So good to see you once again
I thought that you were hiding
And you thought that I had run away
Chasing the tail of dogma

[Refrain]
I opened my eye, I opened my eye
I opened my eye and there we were
I opened my eye, I opened my eye
I opened my eye and there we were

[Chorus]
So good to see you once again
I thought that you were hiding from me
And you thought that I had run away
Chasing a trail of smoke and reason

[Outro]
Prying open my third eye
Prying open my third eye
Prying open my third eye
Prying open my third eye
Prying open my third eye
Prying open my third eye
Prying open my third eye
Prying open my third eye
Prying open my third eye
Prying open my third eye

Edited by AtheisticNonduality

@AtheisticNonduality @Artsu

Look, Tool is obviously a spiritually-minded band and there is nothing to doubt there. However, the core sound that defines metal music (loudness, harshness, distortion, dissonance) is at the end of the day lower consciousness than lighter music. It's self-evident - it doesn't need explaining. Now, this does absolutely not take away from the fact that heavy music can be beautiful and entrancing, and it's certainly an artform that deserves respect. It has to be that way, because people love listening to it. It used to be the only thing I listened to for years of my life. My point is that it's possible to recognize different levels of spiritual "purity" without denying the validity of other aspects (musical complexity, authenticity, virtuosity etc.). I don't think much more needs to be said on this topic. It has been thorougly gone through in this thread once already.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

would this be considered stage red? pretty catchy song

Edited by Abhishaik

16 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

@AtheisticNonduality @Artsu

Look, Tool is obviously a spiritually-minded band and there is nothing to doubt there. However, the core sound that defines metal music (loudness, harshness, distortion, dissonance) is at the end of the day lower consciousness than lighter music. It's self-evident - it doesn't need explaining. Now, this does absolutely not take away from the fact that heavy music can be beautiful and entrancing, and it's certainly an artform that deserves respect. It has to be that way, because people love listening to it. It used to be the only thing I listened to for years of my life. My point is that it's possible to recognize different levels of spiritual "purity" without denying the validity of other aspects (musical complexity, authenticity, virtuosity etc.). I don't think much more needs to be said on this topic. It has been thorougly gone through in this thread once already.

Distorted music does not have to be low consciousness.

Metal is high music much of the time, and i mean Slayer moreso than Tool. It's arguable whether Tool is metal.

Metal is youth music for much part, so it probably doesnt go that high usually. Bands like Burzum and Emperor started when the musicians were teenagers, but the content is quite advanced.

I'll recommend the band Cynic.

Yes, metal is often way more evolved than Stage Orange commercial pop that uses lighter tones.

1 hour ago, Abhishaik said:

would this be considered stage red? pretty catchy song

The lyrics there are definitely describing a Red life situation, although I'm not sure what level of consciousness it is being contextualized at.  Red, Blue, maybe Orange?

8 hours ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Yes, metal is often way more evolved than Stage Orange commercial pop that uses lighter tones.

Historically, lyrically, and stylistically, metal music that is based on the 80s era (the height of the genre) has been mainly orange and below. Metal borrows a lot of the orange cultural undertones of punk rock (anti-establishment, pro-individualism, self-expression), and some sub-genres dive into red as we've seen examples of here. I can't think of any examples of bands with green values from that era. I posted an example of green 80s music in the corresponding mega-thread if you want to see what it's like. It tends to be stylistically and lyrically post-modern: often ironic, blending genres, doesn't take itself too seriously, and critical of orange.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Punks are Green.  The collectivism comes through the individualism of ALL people, not people with money ruling over others.

5 hours ago, Artsu said:

I'll recommend the band Cynic.

Cynic is part of a later wave of 90s progressive metal that started to incorporate elements of jazz, which is arguably the start of green-ish tendencies atleast stylistically. They also have some spiritual and psychedelic themes, and some of the band members are followers of buddhism and openly homosexual (in later years). They later moved away from metal and towards progressive rock/jazz.

54 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Punks are Green.  The collectivism comes through the individualism of ALL people, not people with money ruling over others.

Ideologically, 70s punk rock was anti-establishment (which for that era mainly entails libertarianism/anarcism), which is a reaction to authoritarianism (blue), and stylistically they're reacting to the green elements of 60s rock:

"Punk was a musical movement that reacted against the pastoral sentimentality, expressionistic excess, and superstar bloat of '60s rock with short, fast, hard, acerbic songs. It was also a subculture that scornfully rejected the political idealism and Californian flower-power silliness of hippie myth." -  http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/bkrev/mcneil-nyt.php.

Green came back with movements like post-punk etc..

Edited by Carl-Richard

I actually like this man's channel, he was the biggest jewel robber in the US and now has a YT channel when he tells crazy stories from prison, heists and offers advice and support for wanna be criminals and young people. 

He also reviews GTA heists and points out the mistakes on the setup and planning of the robberies, I find that kind of cool. :P

Take your debates about music to another thread.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura why they should not talk about music. Music can be also put into spiral dynamic. 

Red: hardcore metal

Blue: Military march

Orange: rock/rap

Green: hippy music

Yellow: classic music

Turquise: binaural beats 

16 hours ago, OBEler said:

@Leo Gura why they should not talk about music. Music can be also put into spiral dynamic. 

Because that debate derails this thread. Music is controversial and people love to debate about it endlessly. Go debate it in another thread.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

22 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Because that debate derails this thread. Music is controversial and people love to debate about it endlessly. Go debate it in another thread.

I need to take my own advice more often lol xD:

On 18.7.2020 at 4:55 AM, Carl-Richard said:

I don't think much more needs to be said on this topic. It has been thorougly gone through in this thread once already.

Edited by Carl-Richard

On 7/19/2020 at 1:18 PM, OBEler said:

Red:music you quite never got the appeal of

Blue:what you're personally afraid off

Orange: something you used to like

Green: something you enjoy when you're feeling good/in the mood

Yellow: music you think most people don't get

Turquise: you don't actually love music

just poking fun at it hope you don't mind it's all within my personal biases just bantering for personal amusement we better stop before leo strikes us with the love hammer