Max_V

Immature empathic abilities

6 posts in this topic

Hi friends,

I've always been able to deeply experience others' emotions and energy. This has been a double edged sword, as on the one hand I can understand and help people on a deep level, but on the other hand I tend to absorb emotions and energies and mistake them to be my own. Which can be deeply troubling. It feels like I'm wide open all the time. As for my Life Purpose, I'm still working on the LPC, but I'm quite certain I want to help people work through their psychological issues in one way or another. My question is, do you guys have any resources or tips on how to mature empathic abilities so as to be able to not absorb and be constantly so affected by the emotion and energy of the world?

Thank you

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

Have you delved into emotional mastery of yourself? Do you have emotional issues ATM or are you balanced? If you can manage your own emotions better you should be able to balance the empathy Vs absorbing too much from those around you perhaps

2 hours ago, Max_V said:

As for my Life Purpose, I'm still working on the LPC, but I'm quite certain I want to help people work through their psychological issues in one way or another. 

Defo sounds like something that will burn you out and tire you if you're "too" empathetic that you will yourself deeply feel all the trauma and issues the people you're trying to help face. Even people who are not as empathetic require regular help themselves because of  listening to the traumas of people day in day out. But, I'm sure there's ways to prepare for this by setting the foundation of increased emotional strength within you (whilst still being able to understand others deeply). 

Additionally, empathy is good, but having emotional mastery means you will be able to help others deal with their issues too. I used to be veryyy emotional (and somewhat) empathetic as a young teen, but emotional mastery has made me self-aware of how to deal with my own and others' emotions as well as becoming more empathetic than I was before.

Edited by Moon

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi

Its an emotional blockage located in the 2nd chakra. Im sure everything else is a fabrication except healing that aspect of you.

Genesis 27:27-29

same struggle here, I feel you, Max. 

you're so right, it's a double edged sword. but it can be our greatest gift, if we learn how to set boundaries and protect ourselves. I sometimes use visualization. I'll give you an example; before going to work I visually put on a cape (like a protective shield) and tell myself : what belongs to me and what's good for me stays with me. what doesn't belong to me and is not good for me, washes off. When I leave work I imagine taking that cape off and with it all the energies which are not good for me.

I've learned that it's important to know myself; knowing when it's too much for me, how to set boundaries, knowing when my energy is low and how to replenish it. 

I'm still stumbling through most of it though xD but who cares, baby steps!

Edited by phoenix666

whatever arises, love that

I can relate. 

I have tried blocking myself off from emotional stimuli but didn't work. I tried the 'stoic' approach of being rational about my emotions but failed, miserably. 

The way it has worked for me is practicing allowing emotions to pass through my body without resistance. 

The better I become at letting the emotions pass through my body without any resistance, the finer my empath abilities become and the more alive I feel on a day to day basis. In other words, I feel more but suffer less. 

In practice, that means breathing deeply and fully all the time; specially when you feel that your ,or someone else's, emotions are taking over you. It also means some form of regular breathwork (Pranayam, Holotropic breathwork, Wim Hof Method) and physical exercise (you might want to keep it simple - weightlifting, running, etc.) 

It takes time and regular practice. 

If you're inclined, I could recommend some books on INFJs and HSP (Highly Sensitive Persons) - another word for empaths - that could give you insights into how to use empathy for good. 

Hope that helps.