Himanshu

Understanding People

31 posts in this topic

A man’s value to the community depends primarily on how far his feelings, thoughts, and actions are directed towards promoting the good of his fellows. We call him good or bad according to how he stands in this matter. It looks at first sight as if our estimate of a man depended entirely on his social qualities.

And yet such an attitude would be wrong. It is clear that all the valuable things, material, spiritual, and moral, which we receive from society can be traced back through countless generations to certain creative individuals. The use of fire, the cultivation of edible plants, the steam engine — each was discovered by one man.

Only the individual can think, and thereby create new values for society — nay, even set up new moral standards to which the life of the community conforms. Without creative, independently thinking and judging personalities the upward development of society is as unthinkable as the development of the individual personality without the nourishing soil of the community.

The health of society thus depends quite as much on the independence of the individuals composing it as on their close social cohesion.

- Albert Einstein

On 25/06/2020 at 8:54 PM, Himanshu said:

Archetypal paths of Growth.jpg

:x So exciting! 

On 13/07/2020 at 7:23 PM, Himanshu said:

When (intuition) is the dominant function, every ordinary situation in life seems like a locked room which intuition has to open. 

On 13/07/2020 at 7:23 PM, Himanshu said:

The introverted intuitive moves from image to image, chasing after every possibility in the teeming  womb of the unconscious, without establishing any connection between them and himself.

Hands down, best descriptions of Ni I've ever read.

On 15/06/2021 at 5:15 PM, Himanshu said:

A man’s value to the community depends primarily on how far his feelings, thoughts, and actions are directed towards promoting the good of his fellows. We call him good or bad according to how he stands in this matter. It looks at first sight as if our estimate of a man depended entirely on his social qualities.

And yet such an attitude would be wrong. It is clear that all the valuable things, material, spiritual, and moral, which we receive from society can be traced back through countless generations to certain creative individuals. The use of fire, the cultivation of edible plants, the steam engine — each was discovered by one man.

Only the individual can think, and thereby create new values for society — nay, even set up new moral standards to which the life of the community conforms. Without creative, independently thinking and judging personalities the upward development of society is as unthinkable as the development of the individual personality without the nourishing soil of the community.

The health of society thus depends quite as much on the independence of the individuals composing it as on their close social cohesion.

Beautiful!

This journal man... Written like a true INFJ. Wanna be best friends?

Update:

While Personality Psychology remains a crucial tool in my toolkit as a coach, I have started seriously studying Creativity as a subject onto itself, and the works and lives of artists. I have also started working specifically with Artists and Creatives.

I find that Artists have the psychological and spiritual depth that I can and want to explore. 

I am attracted to artists who are finding effective ways to point towards the Divine. If the purpose of a piece of art is to communicate the state of mind/consciousness of the artist to the attentive viewer, the best artists are those who have both the spiritual insight and the technical skills to take the viewer on a journey. 

For the sake of understanding, one way of broadly categorizing different art and artists is (by no means exhaustive):

• Medium
    • Visual (Eyes)
      • 2D 
        • Painting - digital / canvas
        • Photography
      • 3D
        • Sculpture
        • Exhibition Design
        • Architecture
        • VR
    • Auditory (Ears)
      • Music
      • Sound effects
      • Singing
    • Words
      • Speaking
        • Ex: Leo
      • Writing
        • Writing lyrics
    • Movement
      • Dance
  • Level of Consciousness / Spiral Dynamics / Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs / Chakra
    • "What chakra is this work an expression of?"
    • What needs does this piece of art symbolize?

Most creatives work across multiple mediums and evolve up Level of Consciousness as their work progresses. 

Currently on my reading list are:

• The Mission of Art (Alex Grey)
  • The Artist's Way (Julia Cameron)
  • Daily Rituals: How Artists Work (Mason Currey)
  • Lateral Thinking (Edward De Bono)
  • Creative Schools (Sir Ken Robinson)
  • Big Magic (Elizabeth Gilbert)

I am also digging into everything by these two fascinating people who are Creativity Coaches themselves:

• Mark McGuinness
    • (Founder of Lateral Action) <-- Probably inspired by Edward De Bono's "Lateral Thinking"
    • Books:
      • 21 Insights for the 21st Century Creative
      • Productivity for Creative People
      • Motivation for Creative People
      • Resilience: Facing Down Rejection and Criticism on the Road to Success
    • Podcast:
  • Eric Maisel
    • (Founder of Creativity Coaching Association)
    • Selected Books:
      • The Power of Daily Practice: How Creative and Performing Artists (and Everyone Else) Can Finally Meet Their Goals
      • The Creativity Workbook for Coaches and Creatives: 50+ Inspiring Exercises from Creativity Coaches Worldwide
      • Unleashing the Artist Within: Breaking through Blocks and Restoring Creative Purpose 
      • Inside Creativity Coaching: 40 Inspiring Case Studies from Around the World 
      • The Magic of Sleep Thinking: How to Solve Problems, Reduce Stress, and Increase Creativity While You Sleep
      • 60 Innovative Cognitive Strategies for the Bright, the Sensitive, and the Creative: New Investigations into the Home of the Mind
      • Become a Creativity Coach Now!
      • Secrets of a Creativity Coach
      • Mastering Creative Anxiety
      • Affirmations for Artists

It's interesting that both of them started as Psychotherapists. :D

These two are the proof of concept for me, that people are seeking this kind of advice. 

I am currently pursuing a Master's degree in Fashion and am considering a Ph.D. in Creativity. I don't even know if that's a thing, but yeah. I want to become a catalyst of creativity and self-expression for this culture and generation. 

My understanding is becoming more nuanced as I learn more about this, and I reserve the right to intelligently correct my course as I go along - without feeling like a hypocrite or a fool. 

Integration 

This word has been at the top of my list since the first day I did my values assessment (about 2 years back).

In the previous months, I replaced the word Integration with Love, so my highest value became Wholeness / Love / Responsibility. This 

While Love has a very close meaning to Integration.. Love leads to the dissolution of all boundaries and its effects are immediate. Integration means breaking down a lower-level holon into parts, and those parts reassemble to form a higher-level holon. In this way, I seek my life to be a continuous retooling of the sense of 'me' - breaking down and reassembling in a higher-order - until it's infinite. 

Two days back, I found Daniel Ingram's (Author of the book The Core Teachings of the Buddha) website with the title Integrated Daniel.

I intuit that there is more to the word Integration that I can't quite crack. 

From a previous post:

Why do Inner Integration? What is the outcome?

Balance. Wholeness. Alignment of thought, emotion, speech, and action. Personal effectiveness. Alignment with the natural flow of life itself. 

Integration means everything works as a well-coordinated whole. A well-integrated individual has access to all his capabilities equally, is centered, spontaneous, and effortless in day-to-day living. He doesn't fight the natural forces, yet align himself with them. The result is minimum resistance and maximum flow. 

List of psychological dualities to integrate. Words are fuzzy, there may be repetition:

• Conscious - (subconscious) - Unconscious
  • Love - Fear
  • Good-Evil
  • Dreams - Reality
  • Masculine - Feminine
  • Body - mind
  • Persona - Shadow
  • Intuition - Sensing
  • Feeling - Thinking
  • me - other
  • Body coordination 
  • Physical grace and ambidexterity
  • Emotions - Logic
  • Divine nature - Animal nature
  • Rationality - Impulses
  • Intuition - Instincts
  • Strategic action - Spontaneity
  • Systematic - Random
  • Inductive reasoning - Deductive reasoning
  • Natural - Artificial
  • Lack - Abundance

What is the difference between Integration and Integrity?

Is this what Jung referred to as Individuation? 

Is Integration going to be a lifelong journey of deaths and revival? Is it worth the pursuit? How do I even pursue it?

When All is Integrated, all dualities collapse into the Here-now. No past, no future. Just an intense NOW