gggkkk

first solo meditation retreat

4 posts in this topic

Hello, forum,

Since all meditation centres are closed due to the pandemic, I decided to plan for a solo meditation retreat. 

I live in Toronto, Ontario and looking for a cottage/cabin rental, but have difficulties finding a place due to the cost, time period and some other factors. Most of the places aren't available during summer. 

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to set this up? 

My budget is around $600. 

Also, this is my first retreat ever. Do you think 7 days is doable? How about 5 days for the first time? Will, I still get good results?

Appreciate all answers and suggestions. 

@gggkkk Go on air bnb and look. Look for small cabins or yurts. I did mine in a yurt. Was 67$ per night. 

Or book a camping site and take a tent. 

I did 6 days. It depends on how comfortable you are in your own solitude. I think everyone is at different levels. I had no problems. But there were times where I was bored. And I lack discipline so I struggled to meditate for long periods of time. 

Bring warm clothes for the nighttime.

I believe 5 days is more than enough but do 7 if you're able. I'm sure the longer you're there, the better. You get used to no distractions. It helped me align my focus and calm me down. 

Edit: Bring a book as a treat. Maybe an enlightenment book. I know this breaks the rules but just use it as a way to teach yourself about managing distractions.

I read two books on the last two days. I'll admit. 

Edited by JessiChell

"Some people, not me, are a little concerned. Some people, not me, feel you...might be...
demonstrating a failure to show appreciation."
-Russell Bufalino

21 hours ago, gggkkk said:

Hello, forum,

Since all meditation centres are closed due to the pandemic, I decided to plan for a solo meditation retreat. 

I live in Toronto, Ontario and looking for a cottage/cabin rental, but have difficulties finding a place due to the cost, time period and some other factors. Most of the places aren't available during summer. 

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to set this up? 

My budget is around $600. 

Also, this is my first retreat ever. Do you think 7 days is doable? How about 5 days for the first time? Will, I still get good results?

Appreciate all answers and suggestions. 

Try doing 3 days at home first. Test the waters before you invest a chunk of money. Yes distractions will be readily available but you can put computers/phones away in a cupboard etc.

The difficulty with solo retreats is that you don't have some external factor forcing you to go and sit down to meditate and follow the schedule like you do on group retreats. So you need a large amount of commitment, seriousness and discipline. So thats why I suggest testing the waters first with a smaller retreat.

But if you're really set on renting a place, look on airbnb. There must be options available on there, particularly in US.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

+1 for starting from 3 days home retreat if possible.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x