Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ishfaq Bakht

Need help to make decision regarding career

2 posts in this topic

Hi Friends,

I am 35 year old.I have been in accounting career for almost ten years. I have not completed my professional degree but i have good experience and knowledge of my field learned through internet and practical life experience . recently i love to read books different books and like learning writing and sharing of knowledge .

I have recently also developed interest in business .

NOW i am confused 

Option 1- shall i go for some professional degree in accounting that i can get with not much effort / i can do it with my 9-5 job and develop mastery in accounting

Option 2-  shall i go reading different books not accounting (i that way i can not develop my career ) 

Option 3-shall i go for learning about different businesses and invest time and energy there.

I am not financial stable loosely my dream and career is some where business + reading writing sharing knowledge

Please help me to figure out what to do 

I am also taking leo life purpose course  

Use pandemic to help you decide for you. 

1. Why be a accounting not CPA? It is a fraction of the money and the opportunity for promotion is lacking. The alternative of course could be night school to do your designation. You can alternatively shift more into entrepreneurship. 

2. If business interests you, with your CPA, you can pivot into additional business roles. I was Dating one during pandemic. 

Pandemic should be a eye opening experience for a series of things:

A) step up savings

B) Purpose

C) Course correct where needed

Similar to you, purpose is my driving force and when hindsight vision is 20:20, its easy to backwards rationalize. The careers i seen pandemic proof were largely STEM. Health care, first responders, paramedics, firemen, cops, accountants, and the tech field. 

My advice is to stay in your lane with respect to your abilities, talents, and skill set. For business, start doing personal tax. Do your CPA and progress in your career or make it the side hustle till you acquire the strong client base. 

Good luck. 

Edit at 35, you gotta be an adult and strap on the big boy or big girl pants. A good start is to be financially stable. Likely, you can get your degree in night school or preferably online. The designation will be a slog but 10x your income over the next stage of your career til retirement. 

Career change if you hate it but, it won't be a easy time. 

Edited by Onemanwolfpac