Thewritersunion

Monopoly Mega-Thread

15 posts in this topic

The government has the biggest monopoly (eg. the court, police,...). Therefore so much corruption. If we want to eliminate corruption, we have to eliminate monopolies and decentralize power. Corruption doesn't survive on a really free market.

If a private court is corrupt, its reputation is quickly destroyed and a competitor will replace it. A competitor can't replace the government court, because it's a monopoly.

Edited by GreenWoods

5 hours ago, GreenWoods said:

Corruption doesn't survive on a really free market.

Look up the Microsoft anti-trust lawsuit of 2001.

9 hours ago, Extreme Z7 said:

Look up the Microsoft anti-trust lawsuit of 2001.

If I looked it up right, it's about that the government prevented a monopoly. But it had nothing to do with corruption. I agree that the government can prevent monopolies, and in some cases such interventions might be good, but we are on a slippery slope when a monoploy has the ultimate power.

Generally, monopolies rarely form in a free market, (which doesn't mean it never happens) (and when they do form, they are quickly replaced by competitors once they make a mistake or sth stupid). Oftentimes, state regulations and interventions promote monopolies. For example through high entry barriers which for example exist for insurance companies.

But my main point was corruption in state monopolies. Any political power should be descentralized and be a direct democracy, so all decisions be made through popular referendum

A further step might be to demonopolize and descentralize courts, banks and police. 

Edited by GreenWoods

Ego has a monopoly on the entire planet.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

1 hour ago, GreenWoods said:

If I looked it up right, it's about that the government prevented a monopoly. But it had nothing to do with corruption. I agree that the government can prevent monopolies, and in some cases such interventions might be good, but we are on a slippery slope when a monoploy has the ultimate power.

Generally, monopolies rarely form in a free market, (which doesn't mean it never happens) (and when they do form, they are quickly replaced by competitors once they make a mistake or sth stupid). Oftentimes, state regulations and interventions promote monopolies. For example through high entry barriers which for example exist for insurance companies.

But my main point was corruption in state monopolies. Any political power should be descentralized and be a direct democracy, so all decisions be made through popular referendum

A further step might be to demonopolize and descentralize courts, banks and police. 

Microsoft using shady illegal tactics to crush their competition is an example of corruption.

Corruption is the norm in a completely free market. Stop assuming companies will just automatically know how to avoid causing direct harm to the human population. The problem with taking away the government is that you are then giving all the power to the private sector which is significantly more likely to cause trouble since you no longer have central authority that is able to enforce regulations meant to prevent harm.

Good luck trying to help a create a world where you can only get policing from private companies and justice from private courts. That would be way worse than what we have now.

I'm all for monopolies. I'd like to create one for myself! I like having power.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Monopoly 101

If you want to read this speech is available as a book: Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future

Consciousness is artificial, but not made.

@MarkKol maximizing profit ? kidding! He’d make the company focus on profits too much instead of journalism.

You have been gifted the Golden Kappa~! 

Very well video on peak stage Orange. Imagine owning 3/4ths of America today! ? 

You have been gifted the Golden Kappa~! 

Where I live (UK) there's a monopoly on water supply, it was privatised in 1989 but we have no choice of supplier, and there is a regulator to limit prices and standards. Many of the utilities which were state monopolies before privatisation are only skin deep free market: eg we can change electricity and gas suppliers but the production and control/maintenance of the infrastructure (power stations, cables. pipes etc) is not a market. Its the same product with a bit of choice how it's administered to us. 

Edited by LarryW