Winny

I keep on thinking I'm the Brain

200 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Winny said:

Ha, interesting. So, humans just observed the "brain" and gave it a label. But doesn't that apply to everything else that "we" have? Like "arm" "legs" "head" etc etc. I guess this is because the Ego needs to have a meaning. Even if it is just a thought, how did they invent a device that was able to detect the activities within "the brain"? So, all of the parts of the "brain" is just a mere label? So, is then the amgydala for instance, really responsible for emotions and the hippocampus for memory?

Ok, I get that, but how is the pain caused then? My right side of the neck is also more swollen, so what happened there if the nerves or spine didn't move? the consciousness? 

Leo covered all those questions just now :)

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

You don’t need to sacrifice one for the other. You are Awareness and Awareness is everything (including the brain). So you are Awareness and the brain. One simply includes the other

@Leo Gura Don't you have to find balance between the ego and the real I? Because the true I doesn't have any feature and can't really do the daily activities except for being aware. Don't you have to morph those two together so you can do productive stuff? Because now, that I become more aware of the true I, the ego is starting to ask itself what the point is if at the end, the one who acts is the ego anyway.

Also, I can not say that there's a brain because it isn't in my direct experience, but what about heart? I can feel something pumping in my chest, so therefore I can say that I have a heart right? 

Edited by Winny
needed to add another point

13 hours ago, Synchronicity said:

You don’t need to sacrifice one for the other. You are Awareness and Awareness is everything (including the brain). So you are Awareness and the brain. One simply includes the other

One day I grasp it and another day I don't. I can not say that I have a brain because it isn't in my direct experience, but on the other hand, if not a brain then what? Some people here said consciousness...I have no idea. 

3 minutes ago, Winny said:

One day I grasp it and another day I don't. I can not say that I have a brain because it isn't in my direct experience, but on the other hand, if not a brain then what? Some people here said consciousness...I have no idea. 

Understandable. It can be very difficult to grasp it directly. 

As you’re going about contemplating all this, remember that seeing isn’t the only form of experiencing. So you don’t necessarily need to see the brain to have an experience of it. For example, feeling is another form of experience and you feel the brain when experiencing headaches.  But this would still make the brain an experience and therefore, something contained within awareness/consciousness 

27 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

As you’re going about contemplating all this, remember that seeing isn’t the only form of experiencing. So you don’t necessarily need to see the brain to have an experience of it. For example, feeling is another form of experience and you feel the brain when experiencing headaches.  But this would still make the brain an experience and therefore, something contained within awareness/consciousness 

Then with what sense do we experience consciousness if seeing / hearing / feeling etc.. are forms of experiences?

2 minutes ago, An young being said:

Then with what sense do we experience consciousness if seeing / hearing / feeling etc.. are forms of experiences?

Consciousness is Experience itself rather than just another thing within experience 

In other words, it’s not that it’s grasped through senses. Instead, it is the senses themselves 

Edited by Synchronicity

31 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

This is where subconscious pre-conceived notions muddy the waters of direct experience. You do not feel the brain during a headache because the brain lacks pain receptors. This is a histological fact. Pain in headaches arises from bone, teeth, blood vessels or the lining of the brain and sinuses. I do agree though that the discomfort is experienced in consciousness. The things we tell ourselves...

7 minutes ago, Corpus said:

This is where subconscious pre-conceived notions muddy the waters of direct experience. You do not feel the brain during a headache because the brain lacks pain receptors. 

Yeah I see what you’re saying. However, I wasn’t saying that the brain itself has pain receptors that feel the pain.
When I said you feel the brain, I was referring to how you feel the “swelling” of it against the neck per se during a migraine. In other words, you feel pressure being applied from the brain not in the brain. 

You’re thinking I said that it was felt in the brain. 

Edited by Synchronicity

5 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

Consciousness is Experience itself rather than just another thing within experience 

In other words, it’s not that it’s grasped through senses. Instead, it is the senses themselves 

How do we manage to remember that experience when we come back to our reality if it's not through our senses? How is it registered in our mind if it is not through the five senses? Do we have some hidden senses inside our brain? ( Even if brain does not exist , still this perception of reality follows certain rules which are never violated ) 

Just now, An young being said:

How do we manage to remember that experience when we come back to our reality if it's not through our senses? How is it registered in our mind if it is not through the five senses? Do we have some hidden senses inside our brain? ( Even if brain does not exist , still this perception of reality follows certain rules which are never violated ) 

It’s not a specific experience. It’s experience itself which means it’s present in all experiences. You need to have Consciousness to have an experience. So every time you’re experiencing (which is always) that is Consciousness. It’s not within the experience. It is the experience 

19 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

It’s not a specific experience. It’s experience itself which means it’s present in all experiences. You need to have Consciousness to have an experience. So every time you’re experiencing (which is always) that is Consciousness. It’s not within the experience. It is the experience 

Can you try to elaborate this further ? Is it like awakening removing the filters over our senses ?

2 minutes ago, An young being said:

Can you try to elaborate this further ? Is it like awakening removing the filters over our senses ?

You may be overthinking too much. It’s deceptively simple Lol

Look at the experience you’re having right now. Let’s say you’re in a room. The walls are objects within your experience. The floor is also an object within your experience. However, Consciousness isn’t just another object held within the experience. It’s the experience itself which includes all the objects. Consciousness contains all the objects 

27 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

You may be overthinking too much. It’s deceptively simple Lol

Look at the experience you’re having right now. Let’s say you’re in a room. The walls are objects within your experience. The floor is also an object within your experience. However, Consciousness isn’t just another object held within the experience. It’s the experience itself which includes all the objects. Consciousness contains all the objects 

Yeah, I get that. The whole world / universe is within our experience, which includes my room, the objects in it, my body in it, my eyes / ears / noses and even the brain in it.  But, if you meddle with the brain, for eg, if you cut open your own brain and poke the region responsible for seeing with your hands, you will not see anything. Even if brain is a part of consciousness, Can we atleast conclude that brain is atleast responsible for fooling us by limiting the perception of consciousness and giving this illusion?

The senses are considered one of the 5 sheaths (Koshas) or coverings that hide consciousness, by Vedanta teachings.

vijñānamaya as the combination of intellect and the five sense organs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosha

Edited by abrakamowse

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

6 minutes ago, An young being said:

Yeah, I get that. The whole world / universe is within our experience, which includes my room, the objects in it, my body in it, my eyes / ears / noses and even the brain in it.  But, if you meddle with the brain, for eg, if you cut open your own brain and poke the region responsible for seeing with your hands, you will not see anything. Even if brain is a part of consciousness, Can we atleast conclude that brain is atleast responsible for fooling us by limiting the perception of consciousness and giving this illusion?

Yeah exactly! 
So think about it this way. If everything is made of consciousness then messing with things is messing with consciousness. So cutting open your brain messes with consciousness - not because consciousness is held within the brain - but rather because you’re manipulating consciousness itself. 

Because messing with other things also creates changes in experience. Like let’s say someone cut open your foot rather than your brain. That would change your experience as well by adding pain to it. 

5 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

The senses are considered one of the 5 sheaths (Koshas) or coverings that hide consciousness, by Vedanta teachings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosha

To give some context to what I’m saying in light of this, I wouldn’t say that the senses hide consciousness because consciousness is everything, including the senses. Just a comparison between insights. 

?
12 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

Yeah exactly! 
So think about it this way. If everything is made of consciousness then messing with things is messing with consciousness. So cutting open your brain messes with consciousness - not because consciousness is held within the brain - but rather because you’re manipulating consciousness itself. 

Because messing with other things also creates changes in experience. Like let’s say someone cut open your foot rather than your brain. That would change your experience as well by adding pain to it. 

Thank you, this makes sense, but I am still going to dig deeper. Questions that still arise in my mind are : What is stopping us from experiencing reality as it is all the time if it's not the brain? Is 'feeling' consciousness a capacity that only human body has through rigorous meditation/ psychedelics or is this the other way around? ( Like consciousness of stone >> animal >> human being). If so, why nature is moving in the opposite direction of burying the consciousness deep underneath etc.) The questions are endless just like reality is!

9 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

To give some context to what I’m saying in light of this, I wouldn’t say that the senses hide consciousness because consciousness is everything, including the senses. Just a comparison between insights. 

What you say here makes sense, maybe the aim of Vedanta teachings was to make understanding reality simpler and hence reach more people.

30 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

Why even call it consciousness, why not just Everything. ❤

Reason being I feel like some get the impression it's some mystical state off in la-la land that is not here already.

Either you are identified as the separate 'self' and believe you are the center of the universe(the dream)

Or

You recognize the separate self is illusory and everything is already perfect whole and complete as it's always been for no one(awake)

Also just shedding some light on this ?

Edited by VeganAwake

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

2 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

Why even call it consciousness, why not just Everything. ❤

Yep exactly! It’s everything to an infinite degree 

9 minutes ago, An young being said:

Thank you, this makes sense, but I am still going to dig deeper. Questions that still arise in my mind are : What is stopping us from experiencing reality as it is all the time if it's not the brain? Is 'feeling' consciousness a capacity that only human body has through rigorous meditation/ psychedelics or is this the other way around? ( Like consciousness of stone >> animal >> human being). If so, why nature is moving in the opposite direction of burying the consciousness deep underneath etc.) The questions are endless just like reality is!

Oh yeah, it’s absolutely endless. You’ll have an endless expedition while exploring such questions! 

10 minutes ago, An young being said:

What you say here makes sense, maybe the aim of Vedanta teachings was to make understanding reality simpler and hence reach more people.

Yeah that definitely could be. Complexity can be harder to integrate