IJB063

MBTI is Astrology for Smart People

44 posts in this topic

Nice post, I never heard of MBTI, astrology is clearly a load of bullshit, but thanks for bringing this to my radar so I can check it out

@PukkaDanks

Amen to astrology being bullshit

but check the other posts on here as well, you’ll see a lot of people are religious with MBTI 

even the main boss man Leo 

@IJB063 Someones personality type cannot change, because it has nothing to do with that persons knowledge/maturity/development, it has to do with the brain structure people are given at birth. It is genetic. MBTI is about the cognitive funcitons, the  letters mean nothing. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@IJB063 Aspects of the brains reward system are set at birth,  people use specific brain regions more often then others. It is draining for them to use there brain any other way. MBTI is about the brain regions people use predominantly to function in the world, it is not about the behavior/character they act out. This is why we see the same personalty type with people with completely different personalities.  MBTI does not track behavior. Its about the root of the persons brain structure. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral

1 minute ago, integral said:

@IJB063 Aspects of the brains reward system are set at birth,  people use specific brain regions more often then others. It is draining for them to use there brain any other way. MBTI is about the brain regions people use predominantly to function in the world, it is not about the behavior/character they act out. This is why we see the same personalty type with people with completely different personalities.  MBTI does not track behavior. Its about the root of the persons brain structure. 

What is personality about if not behaviour?

Is MBTI not about personality?

Can people not change what “brain regions” they use?

3 minutes ago, integral said:

This is why we see the same personalty type with people with completely different personalities

What does that even mean?

@IJB063

this might help, the difference between MBTI that tracks cognitive functions and The Big 5 that tracks behavior. 

We use all our brain regions just some far more then others. Its possible with training to use a combination of brain regions we are not genetically predisposed to. But you will never be able to complete with the natural. It will always be less efficient to use. For example in the chess world, The INTJ and ENTJ Types completely dominate the game. This is because the Ni and Te cognitive functions are most effective for the type of processing/thinking used in chess. No one can compete with these 2 types at chess when they apply themselves at the game. Its the same for other activities. 

Personalty type = cognitive functions

Personality = character = behavior 

example: 2 people could be born as the INTJ personality type and behave completely differently. 

Edited by integral

@Pookie

5 minutes ago, Pookie said:

Title of this post is betrayed by what's ranted therein. 

Your post is stupid by what you said therein 

Why don’t you instead of just saying it’s betrayed, why not explain how and why? 

@Pookie

8 minutes ago, Pookie said:

Title of this post is betrayed by what's ranted therein. 

Unless what you’re saying is that MBTI isn’t for smart people, I should’ve phrased it as MBTI is Astrology for smarter people than those who believe in astrology, MBTI is one step up in calibre 

@Pookie

8 minutes ago, Pookie said:

I thought it was pretty self-evident enough not to require an explanation, but fine. 

You're the one saying by the title of this post that MBTI is for smart people, but then you go on about how the majority of those who subscribe to MBTI are "probably a bunch of mediocre dickheads" who take their MBTI results too seriously and deserve to be suckered into forking their money for the next hot and updated MBTI test. 

I never called them dickheads, I said the average person is mediocre, and I large percentage of people are dickheads

My point was that MBTI won’t tell you that, it’s not going to tell you that you are a bad person, that you won’t fork over money

It not hot update, it’s fun, like astrology, not something people really take seriously, but what I meant as I put in the previous comment to yours

20 minutes ago, IJB063 said:

@Pookie

Unless what you’re saying is that MBTI isn’t for smart people, I should’ve phrased it as MBTI is Astrology for smarter people than those who believe in astrology, MBTI is one step up in calibre 

Is MBTI is for people who not dumb enough to fall for astrology, but still dumb enough to fall for MBTI 

@Serotoninluv

5 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Lots of ESFJ going on here ? 

Translation 

Lots of stupid going on here 

@Pookie

1 hour ago, Pookie said:

Lol, thanks for proving my point yet again. 

Let me guess, ENTP stuck in Ne-Fe loop? ;) 

Yep, you got me 

Yea, it does seem that way. I’ve been trying to learn about MBTI for 1-2 days and so far it doesn’t seem that useful. I would say your personality is bigger than your cognitive function, there’s more to it. I can easily switch between these functions so what’s the point of knowing “my dominant function”? I also don’t understand what’s the difference between Ni, Ti, and Fi, they are so similar. In fact all the “introverted functions” and “extraverted functions” are so similar that it seems silly to draw distinctions between them. If someone who is knowledgeable about MBTI could explain in simple English what these Ne, Ni, Se, Si, etc... means maybe we would change our opinion.

I find a lot of people here resonate with INTP but that’s only because it’s the “nerd”, “scientist lost in wonderland” stereotype. I think if they tried studying the theory more deeply and question it they would have a different opinion.

IMO a better way to understand yourself would be to take a pen and paper and write down all the traits about you that you know like competitive, ambitious, etc. Sort of like character descriptions in CK2. And to study your behaviour in the past by writing about your past experiences. I also like the Big 5 as you mentioned. MBTI is also lacking in describing say how aggressive you are, which I think is very important for you to know.

I watched this playlist and this Youtuber to understand MBTI:

Notice just how different MBTI explanations are, there is no agreed  upon definitions:

Honestly, I can learn more from Harry Potter houses than MBTI.

Edited by Akemrelax

The only difference between the Big Five and MBTI is one dimension: neuroticism.

The others (openness, extraversion, conscientiousness, agreeableness) correlate with the 4 MBTI dimensions.

If you assume an average level of neuroticism, MBTI works just fine.

In fact, there's an MBTI now with an added dimension (T, or turbulent, and A, or assertive.)  In essence this compresses neuroticism into a "high" and "low."

It does change a lot as do our personalities over time. It impedes our individual growth to assume we are always correct in a specific way of thinking. Which many who are consumed with it DO tend to think their opinions are the only ones of significance. I believe that MBTI is a huge waste of time and energy and there is little to no validity in data of it actually helping. Unless they want to be in contact with other overthinkers, then by all means go down the endless rabbit hole that consumes a great deal of time from your day-to-day life. The 16 personality types are a way for many click bait addicted people to fixate on how they can be arrogant/patronizing towards other people due to the functional stack they take to heart. Using terms that the typical person isn't accustomed to in order to gain some type of superiority over another is appealing to them. That's why the "rare types" INFJ or even INTJ isn't actually as rare as people claim they are, because everyone wants to be deemed unique. Many will claim they resonate to a specific type cherrypicking stacks to make themselves appear better. Then you have those that are into it for the "who am I most compatible with." It's definately a huge scam like modern astrology that many use to rip off easily persuaded minds. Lots of self proclaimed 'High IQ's' are into this recent fad, and they love watching Youtube videos all day about it or go on Quora, Reddit, Discord to relate to "similar" people, as cohesion is greatly sought after to rid oneself of loneliness. 

Edited by Armand

Go to a real astrologer sometime and THEN call it bullshit. Otherwise it's just closed-mindedness. The same for the other stuff.

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

I've read a lot on the subject, and I will stick to my statement of (modern) in how people are using it now.

@Gili Trawangan

Wouldn't know where to find one 

But yes I’d call it bullshit to their face

Because I think it’s bullshit

Just because some disagrees with you does not mean their closed minded

I’m open minded 

Why is astrology true?

If someone got a nice Source to open my Mind on Astrology, please share. PM or whatever;)

Astrology is one of my trigger Points as well... This will may sound horrible but one of my Heuristics goes like this: If I know nothing about a Person expect that he/she is into Astrology I tend to be veeeery suspicious. Because - I think it's likely either a Person that is easily convinced to do stupid shit or someone with psychological Issues - and they'll fuck up your live. I live well with that Heuristic. I can't pronounce it enough, to whoever reads this, be cautious. I've seen it many times especially with the 'notorious Date who is into Astrology and suddenly turn out to be nuts'.

Granted: That might be not the Case if you got one deeply spiritual Person who read lots of Books on the Subject and mastered whatever there is to master... But how many do that? Ask yourself.

@IJB063

To 'MBTI is Astrology' I would be less concerned of a MBTI User. If you use it right, in my mind, It's more like if you play with statistical models for fun. Maybe you get a Intuition and that could make it worth it.

Edited by supremeyingyang