AtheisticNonduality

H.P. Lovecraft

22 posts in this topic

I just read the story "The Colour Out of Space," which is somewhat DMT-like in nature.  Wanted to know your opinion on some of Lovecraft's concepts about ineffability and imperceivable physical dimensions and unseen colors and physical and spiritual gods/demons and such.

I'm into some pretty dark stuff, but I find Lovecraft to be the kind of negativity that I don't need in my life.

It seems he was a bit of a racist too, even for his time. 

I don't know, I feel like his writing gives a bit of metaphorical life to the evil entities that he talks about. Don't feed the monsters.. lol.

Sorry I'm not really answering your question, I haven't read that specific story. Have to admit he's a bit darkly fascinating, and sometimes I do read his stuff a bit, and usually end up feeling a bit icky and wondering why I let that into my head.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@outlandish I don't buy into the nihilism or the racist elements of it, but I do think there was a great deal of profound concepts in his stories.

39 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

@outlandish I don't buy into the nihilism or the racist elements of it, but I do think there was a great deal of profound concepts in his stories.

Yeah I suppose it's like anything, you have to look at the parts that are useful/interesting and not get hung up on the parts that aren't.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

Just saw the movie which was recently released and was pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I can't read the story because english is not my native language and it's difficult to follow with all the pretentious terms. Btw, this concept reminds me of the movie Annihilation. If you haven't seen this movie, I would highly recommend it ?

2 hours ago, Member said:

Just saw the movie which was recently released and was pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I can't read the story because english is not my native language and it's difficult to follow with all the pretentious terms. Btw, this concept reminds me of the movie Annihilation. If you haven't seen this movie, I would highly recommend it ?

I will make sure to watch Annihilation.  Seems pretty similar.

1 hour ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

I will make sure to watch Annihilation.  Seems pretty similar.

Be fucking careful. That movie scared the living shit out of me. I'm not kidding. It's like the most accurate cinematic representation of a bad trip.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Stalker (1979) by Tarkovsky have the same vibe as Annihilation, but without VFX.

Based on the novel "Roadside Picnic" (1972).

See you in the Zone.

Edited by Soulbass

Lovecraft was pretty solidly orange with a little bit of blue.  I wonder if that'd be different had he been born recently.

On 19.6.2020 at 4:18 PM, AtheisticNonduality said:

I just read the story "The Colour Out of Space," which is somewhat DMT-like in nature.  Wanted to know your opinion on some of Lovecraft's concepts about ineffability and imperceivable physical dimensions and unseen colors and physical and spiritual gods/demons and such.

"Somewhat DMT-like"? Man, Lovercraft's cranky phantasms are SUPER DMT-like! I have known his stories long before I ever heard of DMT; and when I finally stumbled upon DMT trip reports online, I immediately though "Holy cow, that sounds exactly like the stuff that HP Lovecraft wrote about some hundred years ago! What the actual hell...?". It really made me wonder if the guy might have had some DMT induced visions which served as the inspiration for his supremely outlandish mythology; the similarities are just way too striking. (I have been toying with the idea of starting a thread about this on here for quite some time now, but it looks like someone finally beat me to the punch, heh. ^_^)

Have you ever read Hypnos? That one is an outright (cautionary) psychedelic tale about two foolhardy psychonauts who end up pushing the hallucinogenic envelope way too far; and, very unsurprisingly, they end up in the customary Lovercraftian clutches of mind-shattering cosmic madness and doom and despair - you know the drill. (I guess it goes without saying, but DON'T READ THIS STORY RIGHT BEFORE TRIPPING, lol.)

Edited by Bazooka Jesus

Why so serious?

1 hour ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

"Somewhat DMT-like"? Man, Lovercraft's cranky phantasms are SUPER DMT-like! I have known his stories long before I ever heard of DMT; and when I finally stumbled upon DMT trip reports online, I immediately though "Holy cow, that sounds exactly like the stuff that HP Lovecraft wrote about some hundred years ago! What the actual hell...?". It really made me wonder if the guy might have had some DMT induced visions which served as the inspiration for his supremely outlandish mythology; the similarities are just way too striking. (I have been toying with the idea of starting a thread about this on here for quite some time now, but it looks like someone finally beat me to the punch, heh. ^_^)

Have you ever read Hypnos? That one is an outright (cautionary) psychedelic tale about two foolhardy psychonauts who end up pushing the hallucinogenic envelope way too far; and, very unsurprisingly, they end up in the customary Lovercraftian clutches of mind-shattering cosmic madness and doom and despair - you know the drill. (I guess it goes without saying, but DON'T READ THIS STORY RIGHT BEFORE TRIPPING, lol.)

Can you link me to the story?

12 hours ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Can you link me to the story?

I am afraid that I read it in a book, my friend. You know, those old fashioned things that are made out of paper? 'Twas one of those. ;)

Why so serious?

You can buy his complete collection of works on Google Books for like a dollar. FYI

I've seen the movie, it does seem to be correlated to concepts of the ego. For the ego, enlightenment is death and therefore the most scary thing there is, but once the ego is dead and surrenders it is beautiful. That was basically the theme of the movie.

Whether or not it was intentional I don't know.

Glory to Israel

Maybe this line gives a clue about what's happening in the movie:

A dream you dream alone is just a dream. A dream you dream together is reality

To me, it's more about perceptions and how reality could be totally different from what we're used to. Perhaps that color was an alien dimension that once perceived, it led to insanity because the brain was not accustomed to it, thus provoking some sort of collective hallucinations. But there could be multiple interpretations, hopefully someone could enlighten us about the true meaning.

Edit: "The Mist" is another awesome movie about alien dimensions and absurdity of the human existence ?

Edited by Member

5 hours ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

I am afraid that I read it in a book, my friend. You know, those old fashioned things that are made out of paper? 'Twas one of those. ;)

I've read the paper forms of Lovecraft books.  I'll see if I can find that one in my collection.  Wasn't aware you were talking about a Lovecraft book.  It'd be interesting to know if Lovecraft had ever met any plant teachers.

Edited by AtheisticNonduality

5 hours ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

It'd be interesting to know if Lovecraft had ever met any plant teachers.

It certainly would. - But then again, there is of course more than just one way to activate the DMT in your body...

Considering Lovecraft's obvious interest in the occult (duh!), it would not be too far fetched to speculate that he might have gotten wind of some Yogic techniques to sneak through the DMT tunnel. But yeah, who knows? Maybe it was just (a very twisted form of) divine inspiration after all. ;)

Edited by Bazooka Jesus

Why so serious?