TheUniverseIsLove

What is memory?

17 posts in this topic

I’ve gone down a thought rabbit hole about defining “memory/memories”

Where are you at with the concept? 

I would compare the human with a computer and think of memory as saved or programmed experiences. The molecules in our body follow default settings to bring life to conscious beings. And using saved programs or tools like Symmetry, the computer is able to build and improve. The nervous system is the wire that pumps the heart-drive and starts the fan of air flow so that the Brain can receive its energy to receive information and download the desired game. Like a Memory Card that is filled with saved files.

@TheUniverseIsLove What have you found? 

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?

- Edgar Allen Poe 

My opinion is a bit different about memory. I tend to think its something to do with the space we see when we have our eyes shut. Memory is to my mind not quite like say for example a disc that I can access, its not really physical and I don't think that the space we see with our eyes shut is either. I can spend alot of time just looking at this space in darkness and there is alot of structure that does not seem physical there. Sometimes I can't even get to sleep because the image I see with my eyes shut is so intense. It seems more like I am looking at, for lack of a better word my imagination which contains my memory. Note that this is something you don't really learn from meditation you actually have to learn how to focus on this space and to actually see whats there without actually trying to project anything into it. As a simple test shut your eyes in darkness and treat the space you see like an etcher sketch. Try tracing a line with your mind by just imagining it. Now you should see a faint line in that space where you imagined it. It will disappear quite quickly. However that indicates that the space reacts to what we think about so perhaps memories are stored there.

Edited by bennett oppel

Memory = imagination

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

16 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Memory = imagination

Let's break it down. 

Imagination is an infinite collection of Images and concepts. 

For imagination to make sense to itself, it must create a finite collection of its images. 

To have a finite ordered collection, you must create a flawless progression aka TIME.

Memory is a concept used to re-collect the flawless progression of images in a sequence that makes sense to itself.  

42 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Memory = imagination

More like imagination contains memory. It's an aspect of imagination inspired by direct experience. It's a very useful tool humans have. 

Man holy fuck, if literally everything is a dream...there are some hefty ramifications that come with that...

A memory is conceptual in all ways- it requires the concept of time to exist, and provides an inaccurate, biased and partial representation which reifies the concept of time in a strange-loop fashion.  

Lol I was asking myself the same question yesterday. In the relative realm I believe it’s very similar to the memory of a computer.

Memory is the present moment, not separate from it. It's as real as my hand is now. But it's never an exact replica of some original experience. In fact the original experience never existed. You think God took 15 billion years to get here? Nope. It just happened. Memories are phantoms.

All stories and explanations are false.

memory = a thought about something you experienced

You are what you currently desire. ❤️

9 minutes ago, Osaid said:

memory = a thought about something you experienced

No, it's the imagination that you experienced something.

You didn't experience your childhood, you are imagining that you experienced it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

19 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

No, it's the imagination that you experienced something.

Yes, but not only.

Have you ever experienced remembering something that's happening right now?

It's a trip.

Not talking about your typical dejavus... It's a much bigger mind-fuck. Much more precise. 

Edited by ivankiss

I will put my input on memory later.

However, I am always amazed at how often Leo says “no” to things. 
Try using some collaborative “Yes, and“ 

If it is all imagination, they are right too.

I have been doing a poem theme lately.

To me,

Memories are similar to the essence of a poem:

Poems I write, and poems others write are inherently different,

And yet the meanings that can be interpreted and tied to both are infinite~

And though, made up in theory,

They are still 100 percent real in action

Memories or poems,

make what you will of them

The structure is inherent, but the interpretation is imaginative

Find the structure within the structure 

Write a new poem now.