LfcCharlie4

Spirituality & Sport- The Divine Connection

15 posts in this topic

This post was motivated by constantly seeing a lot of 'spiritual' people not truly understanding the beauty and divine that can be found within sport! 

Firstly, I am not saying Sport in our modern society is perfect, but I feel that is more a reflection of the Stage Orange society we live in, just like 'Football Hooliganism' was fueled from a Stage Red shadow. 

Sport itself is simply a game that is made for people to have fun, enjoy and express themselves. The purpose of sport is to have fun and fall in love with the game as many do!

Of course this can get lost, and other things can take over, especially in some Professionals lives, but the reason we start playing sport is because we enjoy it, because it's fun. After all, life is a game, so why not enjoy the games within the game ;)

To me, Sport is an artform, it is divine creativity. The ability to pick the perfect pass in football, to shoot the winning 3 in Basketball, to play the perfect cover drive in Cricket is a skill that is honed over 1000s of hours of practice and dedication to the art form. 

Sadhguru always puts it well and says how being a 'Sport' is a great message for life. Learning to play within the rules of life, wanting to win (of course!) but being okay when you lose and gracious in defeat provide incredible life lessons. This article and video sums it up well- 

https://isha.sadhguru.org/us/en/wisdom/sadhguru-spot/be-a-sport

My favorite quote is this- “In kicking a ball or playing a game, you are much closer to the Divine than you will ever be in prayer.” Because you can pray without involvement, but you cannot play sports without involvement, and involvement is the essence of life.'

Sports get you involved in life, they are a great meditation. 

Of course sports can be evolved instead of wanting to be better than your mate, become the best you can be for the love of the game, to enjoy the game even more, to have even more fun and be more involved!

I'm also going to share my favorite sporting events, and encourage everyone else to do so too, to show how beautiful sports can truly be, and how beautiful this play of life, just like any other can be incredibly beautiful!

Sport is truly one of my passions, and I'm simply sharing this to help people understand the true beauty of sport, not to suggest it is better than any other activity, we are all unique and beautiful beings with our own passions and loves in life!

(Biased clips as I'm a Liverpool fan lmao) 

2019 was a great year  ;)

(skip to last minute) 

A true master of his art, Jurgen Klopp :x

Sport can get you so in touch with the now, so involved with life! I can't wait to see it develop further as society develops!

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

• Just to add some 'unbias' :D

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

I know thread is old but still:

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

Sport is absolutely divine. My problem on the pitch was I was so amazed and intrinsicly motivated by the game itself, that I often lost my will to be more efficient and productive. Somewhat the same in life with regard to spirituality and a real life career. Sport is basically life in that regard. How do you balance the beauty of the game versus productivity? I've only seen Barcelona under Guardiola master that to perfection. It's amazing how Andres Iniesta's grace on the pitch and majestic touch, movement and awareness is actually inspiring me to become that creative in other areas in my life. It just shows how genius and creativity is one and the same language across infinite fields.

Teamplay is also what amazed me a lot during my amateur career. The intuitive teamplays etc. This can be very symbolic for relationships.

Sport = Life. Just like everything else.

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

@Visionary By still realising you are playing to win, without attaching your happiness to winning / losing, so you have the freedom from outcome and can play your best. 

Sometimes you just gotta be practical ;) 

Im biased but look at Liverpool over the last 2 seasons, the will to fight to the end, the incredible mentality & tbe never give up attitude, all coming from a deep desire of wanting to win, you still need that if you’re going to be successful in life, even though you now know it’s just for the fun of it! 

Francis Lucille covers it well- 

@fridjonk he was unreal for a couple seasons, I remember Trying to grow my hair because of him lmao ?

7 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

@Visionary By still realising you are playing to win, without attaching your happiness to winning / losing, so you have the freedom from outcome and can play your best. 

Sometimes you just gotta be practical ;) 

Im biased but look at Liverpool over the last 2 seasons, the will to fight to the end, the incredible mentality & tbe never give up attitude, all coming from a deep desire of wanting to win, you still need that if you’re going to be successful in life, even though you now know it’s just for the fun of it! 

Francis Lucille covers it well- 

Hahaha ofc you're biased. Our individual existence is exactly to be that (in a healthy way of course).

I have great love for Liverpool and especially the incredible atmosphere at Anfield (though it used to be better). And Stevie G of course as a player symbolized the Reds' spirit perfectly for me. But the football hasn't been as good as under Klopp now. Love Jurgen man.

https://youtu.be/gXFWmpB-cPQ

Edited by Rasheed