Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rasheed

Is Wikipedia good source of information? In school, they told me to never use it.

13 posts in this topic

Is wikipedia good source to get info from? School teachers and Principle used to angry when people used wikipedia. I see Leo always share many wikipedia links. I read them, they are great. What you guys think? 

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

Absolutely, for me wikipedia has been a great source of information for years!

Why would the teachers and principle get mad abput that?

18 hours ago, ArchangelG said:

Absolutely, for me wikipedia has been a great source of information for years!

Why would the teachers and principle get mad abput that?

I don't know. They weren't really developed so I did not even bother to ask them. 

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

I think it's good to get an overview of a subject. For more in-depth things I would use more specialized sources.

12 minutes ago, Giancarlo said:

For more in-depth things I would use more specialized sources.

Can you share which ones?

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

Because informations in wikipedia you can just edit it , anyone could edit it if i edit it like jesus christ born in england and you be like gonna accept that as fact because it is on wikipedia.. something like that ... it was about edit issues

@Rasheed The idea that wikipedia is untrustworthy is just an old meme that is becoming less and less popular thankfully. 

Over a decade ago I would hear people complain about Wikipedia. Not so much now. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Its a good resource but with everything check ideas with a few different sources, don't just inhale them xD 

I've learned lots of cool things on Wikipedia and I am sure at least 5% of it is inaccurate somehow but I have no idea what is. Sometimes learning is figuring out where you're wrong about something. 

So use wikipedia but know that inaccurate information is found almost everywhere. Take everything as "This is probably true... but maaaaaaybe it's not"

On 16.6.2020 at 7:08 PM, Rasheed said:

Is wikipedia good source to get info from? School teachers and Principle used to angry when people used wikipedia. I see Leo always share many wikipedia links. I read them, they are great. What you guys think? 

imagine wikipedia being your only source, out of convenience. when you need fast information basically access wikipedia is quite nice - but just imagine, not every information might be up to date or information might be not highlighting the most relevant aspects of a topic or miss out on an important facet. 

also wikipedia has evolved a lot since i was in school for example, it was much less informative then. still wikipedia is built on external sources, therefore if you quote wikipedia you ofc are not quoting wikipedia but secondary literature.

same with pinterest by the way.

Edited by remember

Depends. Its very efficient time and cost wise. But with a lot of subjects its really generalized and lacks nuance. I mean when you go to the library and easily find 10 books on the matter, each with 100s of pages and then check the wiki article you will see how they can only touch on a subject very briefly and shallow.