fluffy

AI and transhumanism making self-actualization futile

4 posts in this topic

After reading Ray Kurzweil's books, I became awash with a sense of dread about my predicament. Is it really worth it, building any skill, when AI could be as smart as any human in the future? Would it really be worth it pursuing spirituality, if you could just plug your mind into the "Neuralink super-consciousness"? Experts cite that these technologies could arrive as soon as 2029, forever changing culture and human life. These technologies make me a little scared about humanities place in the world and the futileness of our drives for wisdom, excellence and self-actualization, these just pale in the face of a superintelligent machine. 

Leo, could you please offer me some (practical) guidance? @Leo Gura

Edited by fluffy
Typing error, tag

So it's 9 years to 2029. What are you gonna do in the meantime?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

11 hours ago, fluffy said:

Experts cite that these technologies could arrive as soon as 2029, forever changing culture and human life.

If everyone thought the same way you do, these technologies would not arrive in 9 years nor never. If they never arrive, you better get off your ass and do some spirituality or learn how to implement AI.

Someone has to work to imagine, someone has to work to implement a better future than the present you live in now.

Why don't you be that someone

What if Ray Kurzweil is wrong? Or what if he is right but needs your help to make the future happen? 

@JosephKnecht @Carl-Richard

Well, I certainly hope Kurzweil's predictions are wrong.

Let's say I want to became a world-class entrepreneur, getting there would at least take a decade. When we reach 2030, machines could be better entrepreneurs than humans (according to Ray Kurzweil), would it still be worth putting all that time in building this skill? If this could be essentially non-competitive. 

My problem is closely interwined with the concept of anitya (impermanence) from Buddhism. How could we adopt our plans to the future, when the future is transient and ever-changing? Especially with change and acceleration going faster and faster. How can our conceptions about the future ever be accurate? 

Edited by fluffy
Spelling