Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dlavjr

Multiple Life Purposes

11 posts in this topic

How common is it to have multiple life purposes? I've been extremely set on pursuing music as my life purpose because it's my passion and I'm in love with the freedom and creativity of it, as well as the thrill of skill building. However, recently I've been pondering being a nutritionist, or personal trainer, or something along those lines in regards to health and fitness. Reason being is that it's personal to me, because I used to be overweight and I now take that stuff seriously and I love helping my friends get on diets and giving them exercise regimes. The problem is I'm pretty broke and I want to go to college for both. I'm already in the process of enrolling in a music degree because I want to learn how to compose professionally and master the theory, perhaps eventually become a professor, but now I'm second guessing myself. Should I just stay on the path I'm on and pursue health and fitness as a career later in life? I want both, but it's a matter of how I should go about it, or if I should focus on one thing at a time as to not put only half my attention/effort into each. 

I would try to narrow down the main thing that you want to do and put all of your focus into that. You can always do the other on the side as a hobby and even make youtube videos or something about the topic if you want to. I have this issue myself a bit with two businesses. However, one pays the bills and the other does not. Ideally I will solidify fully what I want to do and pursue that fully once I reach that level. 

doesn't matter at all! 

if you have love and passion for four things at the same time, everything will go smoothly, if you pursue them one by one.

but you should be consistent in every one of them and not half-ass this one here and another there!

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

15 hours ago, Hello from Russia said:

Become the health coach for musicians??

I don't wanna be the guy to tell musicians they shouldn't be chugging 6 packs, I'm pretty small I'd get my ass kicked

On 6/12/2020 at 3:27 PM, Average Investor said:

I would try to narrow down the main thing that you want to do and put all of your focus into that. You can always do the other on the side as a hobby and even make youtube videos or something about the topic if you want to. I have this issue myself a bit with two businesses. However, one pays the bills and the other does not. Ideally I will solidify fully what I want to do and pursue that fully once I reach that level. 

See the problem I run into is none of the things I'm passionate about have good odds of making a living from. Perhaps if I put all my focus into one I can make a living, but I'd hate to waste potential with the others. I've been considering getting deep into entrepreneurship and seeing if I can utilize that to fund my passions, or even turn my passions into a business, but I'm just unsure of where to start. 

My biggest issue here is that I want to go back to school for one thing, most likely music, and put all my efforts into mastery, but the question that arises for me is will it be worth the money, or am I better off working twice as hard and not going to school? 

17 hours ago, hamedsf said:

doesn't matter at all! 

if you have love and passion for four things at the same time, everything will go smoothly, if you pursue them one by one.

but you should be consistent in every one of them and not half-ass this one here and another there!

I like your optimism. I find that I often second guess myself out of fear. Is there any chance you might have some tips for someone like me who gets anxious at the thought of pushing myself to reach full potential? 

@Dlavjr Feel ya. I'm in Love with music since forever. However, recently my passion expanded onto other domains, too. 

I think that's great. Challenging; but great. 

Balance is key. One must be well-organized and disciplined. Must know how to manage time. A comfortable, steady rhythm must be established.

...A work in progress for me. 

I'm not a big fan of tight schedules and deadlines. One could say discipline is my weakness lol.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

Edited by ivankiss

On 6/16/2020 at 10:12 AM, ivankiss said:

@Dlavjr Feel ya. I'm in Love with music since forever. However, recently my passion expanded onto other domains, too. 

I think that's great. Challenging; but great. 

Balance is key. One must be well-organized and disciplined. Must know how to manage time. A comfortable, steady rhythm must be established.

...A work in progress for me. 

I'm not a big fan of tight schedules and deadlines. One could say discipline is my weakness lol.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

I've found that if you're gonna focus on anything, discipline would be it. If create a good schedule for yourself and stay disciplined enough to follow it routinely, everything will fall into place. You need to be aware of what you need to do and what's good for you and have the discipline to keep to it. 

I think my issue is that I get anxious and overthink things and I start to second guess my own purpose, and I start to think "well I also want to do this, but what if I would rather do that?". I find comfort in fantasizing a perfect world in which I'm able to balance all of the things I'd like to do but realistically the less I focus on the more I will develop mastery. It's just difficult when you're so passionate about so many parts of life but are unsure of where to focus your efforts. 

@Dlavjr as I told, if you love some subject, the love pave the rest of the way for you. make sure you don't do it for other people's attention. only and only yourself! 

you need to be consistent and disciplined in the process. always make a mental note on "gaining momentum", make your learning plan on a daily basis to make sure that you don't fall off track. 

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

On 12/06/2020 at 4:31 PM, Dlavjr said:

How common is it to have multiple life purposes? I've been extremely set on pursuing music as my life purpose because it's my passion and I'm in love with the freedom and creativity of it, as well as the thrill of skill building. However, recently I've been pondering being a nutritionist, or personal trainer, or something along those lines in regards to health and fitness. Reason being is that it's personal to me, because I used to be overweight and I now take that stuff seriously and I love helping my friends get on diets and giving them exercise regimes. The problem is I'm pretty broke and I want to go to college for both. I'm already in the process of enrolling in a music degree because I want to learn how to compose professionally and master the theory, perhaps eventually become a professor, but now I'm second guessing myself. Should I just stay on the path I'm on and pursue health and fitness as a career later in life? I want both, but it's a matter of how I should go about it, or if I should focus on one thing at a time as to not put only half my attention/effort into each. 

Pick a direction. Go. Later in life, it will dissolve as Deida says in way of the superior man. You restart the system from scratch. Pick a path and walk it. If you have too many destinations, you won't go anywhere.