Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
max duewel

Pilgrimage( santiago de compostela )

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

This summer I want to take a journey to santiago de compostela on the jakobsweg (camino frances) this summer to make a lot of experiences and contemplate my life .

Does anyone took the route and can share their experience or tips ?

Costs ? 

Things to avoid?

How long did it took you ?

Did you sleep in a tent or in accommodations ?

Is learning spanish necessary ?

Psychedelics on the route ?

Although I did a lot of research already, I would highly appreciate some input from someone on this forum !

I did it a couple of years ago. I took the Camino de la costa though. From Irun to Santiago, and then chose to do the last part over the camino primitivo. You can look those up. There are many possible routes you can take. I did not want to go down the frances route because it supposedly is very crowded and also very commercial. Consider what you want to do and which route will suit your needs best.

Learning spanish is not necessary, the path is equipped with plenty signs.

It took me 5 weeks and some days.

Did not take psychedelics. Perhaps it would be interesting, I would prefer to do it sober though. If you take psychedelics, I think it would be best not to walk that day but to find some nice place in nature to stay and be.

I slept in albergues and sometimes hotels when no albergue was available. They are pretty cheap, 10EUR at most, many just take donations. Overall I think if you don't need too much luxury you can do with an average of 15-20 EUR per day.

Having your backpack as lightweight as possible is advice you commonly hear, in my experience some extra weight won't kill you and it's good to be equipped for every occasion. Take light shoes though, not trecking or hiking boots.

It really was a great experience. You won't regret it :)

Edited by loub

Thank you very much for the response ! 

Great advice :)

5 hours ago, loub said:

. There are many possible routes you can take. I did not want to go down the frances route because it supposedly is very crowded and also very commercial.

I will think about which route to take but i only have about 33 days max.

I also heard that the frances route is overcrowded but i read so much about it in took i am very curious to experience it, altough my main goal is to have an adventure and come closer to me.

I also heard that Camino la costa is way harder to walk ..