Javfly33

It´s difficult to get protein while doing vegan diet, how do you do it?

25 posts in this topic

The last few months I rarely eat meat but I have always resorted to eggs for easy protein but Lately i´ve been feeling like eggs are somewhat nasty, I cant explain it my body is just saying "noo" to eggs lately. So I am naturally choosing cleaner foods and that ends up resulting in that Im not eating enough protein probably.

I like lentils, but do you eat lentils every fucking day?

Its soo easy to make 3 eggs in 5 minutes and get the protein of the day as easy as that

So any idea? I want to think that the body does´t need such much protein as they say, but honestly I am not in the mood of doing legumes more than 3 times a week. It takes at least 2 hours of my time each time i try to cook them

Edited by Javfly33

What is your current weight and height and activity level? How much protein do you consume? DO you assume that you don't eat enough or do you feel tired a lot? 

If you are athletic and cause a lot of micro damage to your muscles your protein requirement is much higher than someone's who is mostly sedentary. Body weight is a crucial factor as well. 

Eggs are not that high in protein and in order to get 20g you need to consume 3 of them which a lot of saturated fats and cholesterol as well so that's not worth it imo. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 Somedays I would eat 4 of them lol. But they say cholesterol and saturated fats are not bad, that is just a urban myth.

I am mostly sedentary, I am assuming that I don´t enough, yes. But in a nutshell here´s more or less what I eat in a day:

- 1 Avocado

- 200gr Whole Pasta or Whole Rice or Oatmeal

- 2 o 3 large slice of whole bread

- Couple of small spoons of chia seeds or linseed

- Big large spoon of Tahini with honey

- 1 Broccoli

- Shit ton of fruit

- Season nearly everything I can with olive oil 

I hope I get to 2000cal with that. With those foods there´s no way I´m getting to 70gr of protein a day, right?

I do feel tired yes, but it might be because I am still kind of withdrawing from coffe (19 days no coffee so far)

Edited by Javfly33

Might be worth doing a bit of tracking in cronometer.com for few days. That can be a good way to find out. 

11 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

But they say cholesterol and saturated fats are not bad, that is just a urban myth.

It's not an urban myth but also it is more complicated than that and probably beyond the scope of this chat anyways :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Have you considered keeping your diet the same but eating fish??

1 hour ago, Lyubov said:

Have you considered keeping your diet the same but eating fish??

I would I like fish but I'm kind of scared of the contamination of the sea

I'm having the same problem, I could eat beans and lentils everyday but end up with stomach pain. Black beans, garbanzo beans, hemp seeds all have a lot of protein if you want to change it up from lentils. I eat sardines which have low mercury levels but still try to limit them to a couple cans a week. I also eat nuts (brazil nuts, walnuts, almonds all good choices) and pumpkin seeds almost everyday. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

fuck the proteins it's the amino acids you need, you can get these from fruits. If you try to build muscle maybe take in some greens, use smoothies, nutz etc, protein is an overrated disservice to the body.  They say mother's milk has maybe 5% protein? Also don't go vegan, go vegetarian (if anything), simply know what it is you are putting into the body. I don't claim any superior diet, but i encourage compassion and knowing yourself. There's so much vegan around these days, it's a lie to say jumping on that train will equal a healthy lifestyle. The key is really learning to understand how the body works. We are powerful beyond measure. 

Edited by DrewNows

Whatever you do. Don't learn nutrition from YouTube. Those uncertified quacks ruin other people's lives while ruining their own. Real answer is that aren't good protein options for vegans. If you really want to push through I would listen certified nutritionists only.

In Tate we trust

8 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

Whatever you do. Don't learn nutrition from YouTube. Those uncertified quacks ruin other people's lives while ruining their own. Real answer is that aren't good protein options for vegans. If you really want to push through I would listen certified nutritionists only.

Poor cucks aren’t we? Always looking to give away our power in fear like we know nothing about our own well being. Just goes to prove how far we’ve come to not know what’s best serving. 

@Javfly33  It takes some time to adapt to the fibers that come with legumes, and you don't have to cook them from scratch every time, I buy them canned even though they add salt, just rinse them well. Lentil soup and chickpea curry are the shit for me. 

I used to get around 130g of protein at around 3000 kcal on a plant-based diet, it's feasible. Considered that you're not an athlete, you don't need much (around 0.8 g/kg body weight), but the incorporation of legumes into your diet goes well beyond your protein intake, they're just amazing (check out the site @Wyatt  linked). You could also eat more nuts, and nut butters like peanut butter, drink soy milk. Just aim for seasonal stuff as much as possible and for variety of grains and legumes.

5 hours ago, mandyjw said:

I'm having the same problem, I could eat beans and lentils everyday but end up with stomach pain. Black beans, garbanzo beans, hemp seeds all have a lot of protein if you want to change it up from lentils. I eat sardines which have low mercury levels but still try to limit them to a couple cans a week. I also eat nuts (brazil nuts, walnuts, almonds all good choices) and pumpkin seeds almost everyday. 

I know right? Legumes for me never feel quite right in the stomach.

Almonds and hemp seeds, sure they are great but again the same problem, I have to eat like 50gr a day of one of those which seems to heavy for my stomach.

@Javfly33 I would buy pea protein powder, consume oatmeal, tofu, lentils and pea protien. I wouldn't rush a transition to veganism. I would personally include one vegan recipe a week, and build from there. You may need an iron supplement for low meat intake. Creatine is another supplement to consider. It's important to research micro nutrients to prevent deficiencies. Also consider vegan foods tend to be less calorie dense.

On 09/06/2020 at 0:42 PM, Javfly33 said:

The last few months I rarely eat meat but I have always resorted to eggs for easy protein but Lately i´ve been feeling like eggs are somewhat nasty, I cant explain it my body is just saying "noo" to eggs lately. So I am naturally choosing cleaner foods and that ends up resulting in that Im not eating enough protein probably.

I like lentils, but do you eat lentils every fucking day?

Its soo easy to make 3 eggs in 5 minutes and get the protein of the day as easy as that

So any idea? I want to think that the body does´t need such much protein as they say, but honestly I am not in the mood of doing legumes more than 3 times a week. It takes at least 2 hours of my time each time i try to cook them

Hemp protein. Iron vegan supplements. I cannot bother with the vegan 6. I have added more vegetarian to my diet and fasting but. Pea protein as someone stated above. Tofu lowers T btw. 

22 minutes ago, Red-White-Light said:

@Javfly33 I would buy pea protein powder, consume oatmeal, tofu, lentils and pea protien. I wouldn't rush a transition to veganism. I would personally include one vegan recipe a week, and build from there. You may need an iron supplement for low meat intake. Creatine is another supplement to consider. It's important to research micro nutrients to prevent deficiencies. Also consider vegan foods tend to be less calorie dense.

Good advices thanks.

My intention is not going vegan 100% but basically just listening to my body. And honestly lately my body is like rejecting everything animal. Today I was Ok with a couple of eggs so I ate them. But in general I will be eating less animal product.

I bought Hemp protein powder and  pumpkin protein powder but to be honest bro how do you chug this stuff down? It tastes pretty bad (and I´m used to chug powder down since I am a kratom fan, but not so many Grams).

@Red-White-Light Can I put 50g in a smoothie?

there are vegan protein powders you can get. i use Vega brand. i make myself a smoothie after a workout. soy/oat milk, frozen fruits, 0.5-1scoop of the protein powder, tastes so good! 

also chickpeas, cococut yogurt, soy milk, oat milk, tofu, tempeh, those meat alternatives (although these are heavily processed) all have a lot of proteins. edaname beans (i find them better to digest and lighter than other beans). 

It's pretty easy.

Check out protein content on beans (dry ones), lentils, chickpeas, peas and any other kind of legumes. You only need 200g (dry amount) in a day and you're pretty much there with your protein intake.

I wouldn't recommend eating flour products even on vegan diet, this whole grain flours stuff is scam and bullshit