lmfao

Thoughts on paracetamol and painkillers?

8 posts in this topic

I have a pride about not taking painkillers since I don't won't to be a wuss who anaesthetises their consciousness. 

I'm considering taking paracetamol before sleep since I have insomnia. So I'll try my best to pay attention to how that feels and works out. Since I'm also trying vaporub at the same time I'll need to co-ordinate the times I take them so I can have controlled variables and pay attention to how it feels.

I live in an asian family full of medics, yet they all seem to treat paracetamol with a mystical reverence.

So if anyone here has experience with painkillers in general, e.g. paracetamol or whatever, writing about it here would be appreciate. If your post resembles that of a log entry with detail acquired by mindful and sharp observation, all the better. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

1 hour ago, lmfao said:

I'm considering taking paracetamol before sleep since I have insomnia.

That's definitely not going to fix that. Paracetamol primary acts on the pathways that trigger inflammation in the cell. It just blocks some enzymes for few hours. Kinda like when people switch off carbon monoxide detector because the beping is annoying and then their home burns down.  There is no healing whatsoever with paracetamol although it is pretty damn effective in masking symptoms. It is a highly addictive and toxic drug that can cause gastric and duodenal ulcers.....horrible way to treat anything. It is also highly toxic to your liver and causes a shitstorm of problems when taken long term. 

If you suffer from insomnia, I'd encourage you to find a naturopath or a functional doctor or someone in that area to help you fix the root cause. Few possible causes of insomnia are: 

• adrenal imbalance
  • blood sugar problem
  • neurotransmitter imbalance 
  • thyroid disorder
  • Stimulant use too late in the day
  • late eating of high carb meals 
  • some drugs
  • Lack of sunlight exposure during the day 
  • Lack of physical activity 
  • Anxiety about insomnia (vicious cycle) 

Certain herbs can be helpful such as valerian, chamomile, Levander or lemon balm. Meditation and Hatha yoga before sleep are amazing. I like to do 30 minutes of slow mindful stretching followed by lying down on my back and doing 15 minutes fill body relaxation while dropping a few drops of Levander essential oil on my forehead and behind temples. That seems to work beautifully especially in days when I feel like I have too much energy late in the evening. 

Chris Masterjohn Phd had a great video titled 10 ways to sleep better (or something like that) might be worth checking out. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@lmfao

I’ve had issues with insomnia. I recommend talking CBD oil, avoiding screens before sleep, sleeping and waking up at the same time each day, and getting enough exercise during the day to tire yourself out for the night

Make sure the paracetamol doesn't contain caffeine, read the packet carefully before taking. I've been caught out by that one more than once!

Also as mentioned avoid screens before sleep. I would go further and say avoid ALL blue light TWO HOURS before sleep. Unfortunately most light sources are very bright and contain a lot of blue light nowadays. The only realistic solution is to wear blue blocking glasses (i.e. they have orange or red coloured lenses). They should be wraparound to stop light getting in the sides. Ridiculous I know.

And as mentioned, getting sunlight (even on a cloudy day) as soon as possible after waking will reset your circadian rhythm. Effectively to get enough light you will need to go outdoors for a minimum of 30 minutes. Use those 30 minutes as part of your exercise regime and maybe even time to meditate.

You have specific receptors in your eyes for blue light, which connect directly to sites in your brain that control your hormones and circadian rhythm.

Doing just those two things will improve the quality of your sleep no end. It can even help with weight control as disrupting your circadian rhythms can speed up fat deposition.

Edited by LastThursday

All stories and explanations are false.

@Michael569 Wow, thanks for the comprehensive reply, feels like I just got a functional doctor consultation for free. Yeah I think I'll leave taking paracetamol. I'll try those herbs and oils.

I've used valerian root tablets in the past, I think I might have overdosed and overused them. I wanna say this was 3-4 months ago I had an awful habit of taking too many. I ran out of the tablets and left it cold turkey, I can't remember whether I had issues with that. 

@Arcangelo Nah bro I ain't about that life

@IJB063 CBD oil seems woke

@LastThursday Yeah I like that blue light blocking glasses idea. I have flux installed onto my computer but I need to use it more. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao

Hey man, I'd recommend ashwagandha and l-theanine, as well as yoga nidra (it's awesome btw)

Generally speaking most insomnia's caused by some amount of anxiety, although I won't make assumptions, just food for thought. I was taking ashwagandha during a particularly stressful time in my life, and that stuff was amazing, so amazing that I eventually had to stop because it made me TOO relaxed to the point of being lazy aha, just goes to show how well it works. The L-theanine's also really good especially for racing thoughts you might have at night. "Meditation in a pill" I've heard it called, I'd venture to say that's pretty accurate.

Nootropics depot's where I got both if you're interested.

Yesterday I got a realization that mental substance addiction (So count physical ones like coffee out) and painkillers are basically the same thing. You use them to avoid pain in life. Taking something like Lyrica for back pain is basically a mental addiction. You have a pain, that mentally tortures you until you take the drug. Just like you might have emotional pain in your life that forces you to take cannabis or other substances that are mainly mentally addictive.

Any thoughts on this?