roopepa

Minneapolis Will Dismantle Its Police Force

38 posts in this topic

Things are getting stupid now.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I know like for real. It's totally fucking nuts. 

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Theyre not going to remove the entire police force, theyre going to restructure it. I think this is a bit clickbaity. Noone is that stupid, of course we need law enforcement. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

They need to restructure the police. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Rilles It's not just a simple restructuring. Watch the video, it explains the situation pretty well.

Everyone is waiting for eternity but the Shaman asks: "how about today?"

Hopefully that phrase goes away soon, not a good look for the Democratic side.

16 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

100%! Its going to get bad and end up in the history books for what not to do. Protest is fine. The riots must end by whatever means. Fortunately, I don't have to make a decision here. 

Has this ever been tried out anywhere else at any other time in history? How did that go? I'm really curious about where this will lead.

Yes, this seems overboard - yet to give the perspective of a lot of Minneapolis community members, there have been many protests and efforts to “restructure” the police department and it has failed time after time. Keep this in mind when thinking “This is absurd, why don’t they just protest and put effort into restructuring the department?”. They have, many times. I’m not saying the idea to dismantle the department is best. Yet I understand that after so many efforts of restructure have had no impact, a lot of people are fed up and want more drastic action. There is a larger context here. 

When people get fed up and desperate, radical ideas can emerge - some good, some not-so-good.

36 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Yes, this seems overboard - yet to give the perspective of a lot of Minneapolis community members, there have been many protests and efforts to “restructure” the police department and it has failed time after time. Keep this in mind when thinking “This is absurd, why don’t they just protest and put effort into restructuring the department?”. They have, many times. I’m not saying the idea to dismantle the department is best. Yet I understand that after so many efforts of restructure have had no impact, a lot of people are fed up and want more drastic action. There is a larger context here. 

When people get fed up and desperate, radical ideas can emerge - some good, some not-so-good.

This stupidity makes Trump look like a normal person. A lot of oppurtunists and cowards makes this possible I guess. 

The excuse is that they are desperate. Yes, maybe. It looks still quite stupid. On the other hand we will definitely learn something about it from this experiment that probably will come with a very high price.

5 minutes ago, Epikur said:

This stupidity makes Trump look like a normal person. A lot of oppurtunists and cowards makes this possible I guess. 

I agree that this makes Trump look more like a normal person and it is a bad look for democrats.

Yet I disagree that they are opportunists and cowards. I’ve watched some of the city council explain the history of the city and their intentions. They seem like good people that want the best for their community and are fed up with corruption. There are also facing a lot of backlash and powerful headwinds. In that regard I would consider them courageous, albeit misguided.

3 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

I agree that this makes Trump look more like a normal person and it is a bad look for democrats.

Yet I disagree that they are opportunists and cowards. I’ve watched some of the city council explain the history of the city and their intentions. They seem like good people that want the best for their community and are fed up with corruption. There are also facing a lot of backlash and powerful headwinds. In that regard I would consider them courageous, albeit misguided.

That might be true for them but that is only possible because millions of people are silent to this locally and in the USA and globally.

Edited by Epikur

1 minute ago, Epikur said:

That might be true for them but that is only possible because millions of people are silent to this locally and in the USA and basically globally.

Yes, as more people stand up and protest it can put pressure on people with power to change. Yet that standing up and protesting can have personal consequences and often takes courage. I’m impressed with how many people are speaking up. One of my online Yoga instructors put our a personal heartfelt video about supporting indigenous people and minorities. I thought it was very loving and positive. Yet she got a lot of backlash and lost some of her subscribers / viewers. 

50 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Yes, as more people stand up and protest it can put pressure on people with power to change. Yet that standing up and protesting can have personal consequences and often takes courage. I’m impressed with how many people are speaking up. One of my online Yoga instructors put our a personal heartfelt video about supporting indigenous people and minorities. I thought it was very loving and positive. Yet she got a lot of backlash and lost some of her subscribers / viewers. 

I ment standing up against activists who are defunding the police and who basically do what the right wing does that is identity politics. 

Edited by Epikur

25 minutes ago, Epikur said:

I ment standing up against activists who are defunding the police

Oh, that is not my impression. I’ve watched some videos of the Minneapolis city council and they seem to sincerely want to help their community. They may be misguided, yet my impression is that their heart is in the right place. 

18 minutes ago, Consept said:

I'm all for reform but this is a real knee jerk reaction 

I wouldn’t call it a “knee jerk” reaction. It’s not like there was one or two incidents and the city council had a knee jerk reaction. There has been years of this going on and many incidents in the police department and justice system. It’s the reason Klobuchar has zero support in the black community. The day before the Minneapolis primary a few months ago, protestors flooded her event. She refused to talk with them, canceled her event and dropped out of the race. This has been going on for years and a lot of people are at a boiling over point. 

15 minutes ago, Consept said:

I'm all for reform but this is a real knee jerk reaction 

It seems it is just the beginning. The tribal states of divided America becomes a vision. The wet dreams of the right seems more possible now. You are no more allowed to say you are not racist. Otherwise you are racist.

USA is going insane:

@Epikur The majority of people are peaceful protestors. You have been linking to right wing FoxNews propaganda that portrays the protestors as violent angry mobs. It is very misleading. 

The below video is from a woman immersed in the protest. She describes three type of people at protests: the protesters, the rioters and the looters. She explains how the game is rigged and how the social contract has been broken. People are fed up and angry for a good reason. 

There is so much focus on the *what* they’re doing. She explains *why* they’re doing it from an inside view, rather than millionaire FoxNews hosts paid off by billionaires. 

Any explanation that does not include wealth inequality in incomplete. And you won’t hear about wealth inequality on FoxNews because they are instrumental in creating, perpetuating and benefitting from that inequality. 

She uses an analogy of the game Monopoly. For those not familiar with the game: players try to accumulate as much wealth as possible during the game.