Mike Book

Rich kids have problems

29 posts in this topic

24, living at home, no college, working at Lowe's. Fantastic childhood, everything I could ask for. Dropped out of college 5 years ago because I'm a lazy stubborn boy. Letting my parents baby me through adulthood has robbed me of so much. I'm wrestling with whether I should A: live at home until I'm 30 and finish university, or B: move out and work like hell to survive.

The worst part is everyone said this would happen

@Mike Book take Leo's life purpose course thingy. 

I think start a business then move out within a time frame of a year or six months. (No matter what) 

"Some people, not me, are a little concerned. Some people, not me, feel you...might be...
demonstrating a failure to show appreciation."
-Russell Bufalino

6 more years to finish university??? Dude, raise your standards.

If it takes you 10 years to finish university then it probably ain't for you.

Find something you're truly passionate about. You are still young. Don't squander the next 6 years. Your next 6 years can make or break your life.

Everyone's got problems because the ego-mind only knows problems.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

17 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

6 more years to finish university??? Dude, raise your standards.

If it takes you 10 years to finish university then it probably ain't for you.

Find something you're truly passionate about. You are still young. Don't squander the next 6 years. Your next 6 years can make or break your life.

Everyone's got problems because the ego-mind only knows problems.

Do you really think 24 is young? I’m 24 and I feel old and washed up already. At this age, people who develop skill in a field pretty much become masters by this point (chess grandmasters, instrument players, athletes, etc.). It feels like I’ve already passed the window of opportunity to become masterful at something. I know it’s petty but this is a little neurotic tick of mine that I struggle with. 

Edited by Free Mind

12 minutes ago, Free Mind said:

Do you really think 24 is young?

Lol, YES!

When you turn 50 you will remember what you wrote here and cringe.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

Lol, YES!

When you turn 50 you will remember what you wrote here and cringe.

Do you think the college is worthless if you didn't do it before the age of 25 or so?

College is always good idea as long as you get a worthwhile degree. 

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

It's great that you have that self-awareness.  Join the military and pick a non-combat job, get some skills and the Post 9/11 GI Bill

Edited by SerpaeTetra

1 hour ago, Hello from Russia said:

Do you think the college is worthless if you didn't do it before the age of 25 or so?

I think college is mostly a waste of money and time. There are much better uses of time. College is good if you want to be an academic, scholar, doctor, laywer, or STEM field. Otherwise, it's not very useful.

You can always join the Marines... 

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

@Leo Gura I'm gonna be in my second year of life sciences but ultimately i wanna become a writer (blog + books), should i just quit then lol and pursue my passion full time right now without wasting anymore of my resources. why'd you decide to pursue a degree in philosophy then if it was such a waste of time and money. im assuming its because you were young and didnt realize then??

Become an electrician's mate through a union.  After a few years, your possiblities are endless.

3 hours ago, iceprincess said:

why'd you decide to pursue a degree in philosophy then if it was such a waste of time and money. im assuming its because you were young and didnt realize then??

Firstly, I wasn't paying for it, so that helped things a great deal.

Secondly, I really loved philosophy and was thinking of becoming a professor.

Thirdly, I was a really good student, so it fit me.

Fourthly, I was also planning and training myself to be a game designer, so I wasn't really bought into the illusion that having a college degree would get me where I wanted to be.

Fifthly, I was clueless about how the real world worked and the possibility of starting my own business.

7 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Fifthly, I was clueless about how the real world worked.

@Leo Gura and how does it work? xD

Edited by OmniYoga

17 minutes ago, nistake said:

@Leo Gura Just out of curiosity: game designer as in programmer (like back-end stuff) or 3D modeling, texturing and other artsy stuff?

No. A pure designer. Not programming. Not art.

Although of course I learned a lot about programming and 3D art.

16 minutes ago, OmniYoga said:

@Leo Gura and how does it work? xD

No one gives a fuck if you have a college degree, they only care about your ability to create results.

That's inspiring as could be. I been working hard to get my degree but it's been difficult. I really love programming with java. If I could use a business degree and be good at programming it might work out. Glad you all like life. 

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

@innerchild Your issues are not spiritual but basic material. You just need to work on finding a job and moving out from your parents.

You're still like a bird in the nest. Leave the nest and fly.

Once you move out you will feel a lot of freedom and a sense of autonomy.

How you move out is up to you. I would look for a job that can pay you some money and gain you some of the experience you'll need in the future. Or a job that gives you free time to work on your own stuff. Some jobs are less demanding than others. You'll have to get creative and see what opportunities are around.

Once you have a job to pay basic bills you can work at night on developing new skills and upgrading your career.

Work 40 hrs at your job and then another 20 hours at night on your skills.

@innerchild Yes! I have the same issues with letting my parents coddle me. Although I’ve been luckier than you for the fact that they don’t give me free money. What you’re describing, tone-of-voice manipulation, also had me by the balls. Until it clicked that they were just doing the only thing they knew how to do to raise their children. 

@leo gura I would finish university in under 4 years but it’s a matter of working full-time for a couple years to be able to afford it. Maybe my efforts are better spent elsewhere

@Keyhole Yes it's wrong, I wasn't mean to intervene in other user's posts. I just had an adrenalin rush! :P