intotheblack

Will Trump be re-elected?

208 posts in this topic

I’m not American, but would be interested to see what would happen if Trump wins the election again.  I only recently found out how the Electoral college system works in the US... the person with the most votes doesn’t necessarily win? Will they ever change that system? 
How do you choose who to vote for when it’s between Trump or someone who also has been accused of sexual assault? Why do many people not care about the accusations made against political candidates?  
If Trump does win again, I can imagine all hell to break loose and even more riots.. 

If Biden wins, how will things look? 

4 minutes ago, intotheblack said:

I’m not American, but would be interested to see what would happen if Trump wins the election again.  I only recently found out how the Electoral college system works in the US... the person with the most votes doesn’t necessarily win? Will they ever change that system? 
How do you choose who to vote for when it’s between Trump or someone who also has been accused of sexual assault? Why do many people not care about the accusations made against political candidates?  
If Trump does win again, I can imagine all hell to break loose and even more riots.. 

If Biden wins, how will things look? 

I'd be surprised if he won.  There is a growing list of Republicans and military officials calling him out and saying they will vote BIden.  That being said, he has a lot of supporters that don't make a lot of noise.  

The sexual assault claim is a very tough subject.  There are certainly a lot of women who are being truthful about things that have happened, yet there are also some who are trying to make some quick $.  

Trump has been accused of sexual assault/rape/harassment 25 times.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_sexual_misconduct_allegations

Unfortunately, we only have two choices at this point.

Not American either, I'd vote for the Libertarian party. Why would people riot if Trump wins again?

Is there any use of voting third-party? 

1 hour ago, intotheblack said:

Correct. In the U.S. electoral college system, the popular vote does not decide the election. Each state is given a number of points, based on population size. However, it is not accurately proportional to population size. A person who lives in Wyoming as about 3X the voting power of a person living in California. This is a bias toward less populated states that traditionally vote Republican. The only candidates that have lost the popular vote and won the election are republicans. Hilary Clinton, won the popular vote by 2%, which is significant by U.S. standards. Yet Trump won the electoral college by a wide margin.

It is unlikely that the electoral college will change soon. To do so would require 2/3 support, which is virtually impossible to get. Republicans will not vote for it because they benefit under the current system. A back door to this is a movement by blue (democratic states) in which they will give their electoral points to whoever wins the popular vote. If enough states agree to this to push over 270 points, the winner of the popular vote will win the election. However, this only has support from the most populous blue states that are disproportionately getting screwed over (like California). Swing states, like Michigan, are reluctant to join in because they get a lot of attention for being a swing state. Red states like South Carolina strongly oppose this movement since they benefit from the current electoral college. They are primarily republican states and the current system allows republicans to lose the popular vote and still win the presidency. Joe Biden will probably need to win the popular vote by 2% or more to win. 

Regarding caring about sexual accusations: There are a subset of people that do care. For example, progressive democrats were very upset with Biden’s sexual assault allegation and were very upset about how neoliberal democrats did not take it seriously and were hypocrites. Neoliberal democrats strongly condemned Kavanaugh and took Blasey-Ford’s side (the accuser). Yet they then took Biden’s side and dismissed his accuser (even though Biden’s accuser had more evidence). In my view, this is due to identity politics. It’s a similar situation with University sports. If a player on an opposing team is accused of raping a student, opposing fans will be outraged and talk about how corrupt and immoral the other school is. Yet when a player is accused of rape on their team, the fans start making all sorts of excuses. They are identified as being on that team. It takes a high level of maturity to have an objective meta view.

In terms of how one could vote for a sexual predator, I would say there are two factors. One is degree. In terms of degree, Trump has like 20 credible accusers of sexual assault, Biden has one. Thus, Trump could be considered a worse sexual predator than Trump. Another concern is the degradation of election integrity. If my two options are between two sexual predators, I want to live in a democracy that the people get to decide which sexual predator gets elected. Yes, that is falling to a very low standard, yet there is a huge difference between the public deciding which sexual predator wins vs. authoritarians deciding which sexual predator wins. 

1 hour ago, Serotoninluv said:

Thus, Trump could be considered a worse sexual predator than Trump.

That's strange-loopey. ;)

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Pray Trump away. He handled the coronavirus very badly. But he is kinda lucky because the dems have Joe Biden who does not have very good communication skills. Looks like he is always rehearsing or reading from an envelope. He will look wimpy in front of Trump. It all looks like a big bad joke now. 

God bless America and throw a president from Heaven. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

2 hours ago, Opo said:

Is there any use of voting third-party? 

If for once a third party gained 10% or more then perhaps people would stop looking it as a wasted vote and all the millions of frustrated apathetic voters would jump ship too.

3 minutes ago, Keyhole said:

For real, both are lacklustre compared to Bernie.  I'm hoping the silver lining with the coronavirus is the possibility of healthcare reform and that Trump isn't elected for a second term, but you never know...

I just saw on the news that they plan to get rid of the endangered bird protection act.  It's a shtshow with no end in sight, our country is a complete joke.

Yes indeed. Very disappointing to know about the bird protection Act. I always watch different types of birds. Especially the rare ones. Sucks big time. The joke is sitting in the white house. 

Edited by Preety_India

Im not sure Biden is a credible candidate i think hes going to make a lot of faux pas in the election, he already did one in a racial context toward black people, which should be a slam dunk considering whats going on now and how Trump is handling it. I never understood why Bernie didnt get through i think he wouldve been a real opponent for Trump and in a way is a good counter to him. But oh well, we'll see how this plays out 

@Consept I think Biden is a weak candidate, yet may pull it off as long as he doesn’t say anything batshit crazy. I think his strongest asset is having Obama’s guys write speeches about the heart of America and have Biden read it of a teleprompter. 

Biden is seen as a decent guy by the majority of Americans. He is not hated like Hillary was. And for most of Biden’s blemishes, Trump is worse. Biden says racially insensitive things while Trump says racist things. Biden has one credible sexual assault case, Trump has about twenty.

The country just isn’t ready for Bernie yet. There are a lot of democrats whose #1 priority is beating Trump and they see Biden as they best shot. And Bernie only had about 40% of the democrat support. When the moderates coalesced around Biden, Biden won fair and square. The party is still more orange than green, yet things are shifting. I think in 4-8 years, someone like AOC could rise to the top of the Democratic Party. 

6 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

A person who lives in Wyoming as about 3X the voting power of a person living in California.

That's F-ing retarded. You guys need to change that. Now!

11 minutes ago, Dutch guy said:

I hope Trump will win.

Me too. The world went to sh@t a long time ago. I want him to win so I can make me some easy weed money.

I am a selfish stage orange person.

Edited by Arcangelo
selfishness

21 minutes ago, Arcangelo said:

That's F-ing retarded. You guys need to change that. Now!

The population of California is about 40 million and the population of Wyoming is about 600 thousand. The electoral college is a necessary boost for the less-populated states.
At least we can definitively say Hillary was more popular than Trump. That speaks volumes.

I'm so glad that the US president's office lasts only 2 terms, a total 8 years. Thank God for that 

So even if that joke gets re-elected, the stormy weather will last only for 4 more years, no more after that. 

My Dad IS Donald Trump.

Bad idea.

I can't believe how naive people are. 

40 minutes ago, Willie said:

The population of California is about 40 million and the population of Wyoming is about 600 thousand. The electoral college is a necessary boost for the less-populated states.

I disagree. It is inherently unfair to give one person 1 vote and another person 3 votes. A tomato farmer in California gets 1 vote and a tomato farmer in Wyoming gets 3 votes. That is biased and unfair. Imo, each person should get 1 vote. 

It's time for people to live in Wyoming. 

Just now, Preety_India said:

It's time for people to live in Wyoming. 

Lots of cowboys there and Yellowstone National Park is amazing. Plus, we would get to increase our voting power ?