Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dragos

Question about reading and learning

2 posts in this topic

My question about is how can I maximize my reading speed and comprehension without missing any important information.

I saw years ago and even recently a lot of entrepeneurs, youtubers, etc. saying that they read several books a week, sometimes a day. And then they say that actually they didn't really read the entire book they just skimmed through it and got the essential.lol 

So you going to hear from them 60- 70 books in few months. But there's others like Ken Wilber who said in one of his books that he read 2-3 books a day when he really stared to study spirituality, but that was a really strong desire for a specific purpose and really I think he's really on a diffrent level then most humans.

I think that reading one or few books a week is doable, I just never understood how can speed reading work for me so I didn't do it, I just read at a slow pace but it always takes a while till I get traction and in short time I get tired and lose interest. Does any of you have any 'ritual' before you start reading, you talk to yourself at a certain point when you read to focus more, you do a concentration practice, affirmation of intention or something like this?

And regarding learning, I want to learn two languages and how to aquire their accents but everything that I tried doesn't seem to work... I forget words, I lose interest, at times is too overwhelming, reminds me of academia too much. Has any of you learned a language and mastered it, accent wise too, to the point that a native wouldn't even think that they're foreign.  I learned english in a passive manner, I never thought that I could learn it, i didn't even noticed that I could speak it until I started to talk to myself in english(it was weird). I mostly learned from watching tv shows, movies, reading here and there, listening to music but never atually bothered to learn it in an active continous way words grammar etc reminded me of boring french classes. Also a lot of people all over  internet recommend to stay away from grammar, you'll aquire it in time. And it's kinda true but it took me years with english, and I want to shorten the time of learning and actually have a deepre understanding of language.    Thanks for your time ?❤️

Edited by Dragos

There are books and videos on speed reading. It boils down to a couple of techniques. You can research that.

Basically, you're always looking for the information you need. You can only read a couple of chapters, or underlined/bolded segments. 

You skip past the parts you know or wouldn't use and get to the juicy ones.