Self Discovery

Do protests actually work?

13 posts in this topic

With the whole George Floyd thing happening I started to wonder if protests are actually the most effective way to create change. To me, it seems like it is not getting to the root of the problem. Sure, it’s striking, but I intuitively feel like it doesn’t truly create real change in the system. What are your thoughts on protests? What would be an alternative way to impact the world ?

Edited by Self Discovery

•yes- it gets peoples attention

•no- it causes alot of damage

its hard to get at the root of police brutality when youre at the bottom of society, people dont want to wait for some politician to change it in the next 10 year, theyre scared and angry, they want change NOW, this is how they show it

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I've had similar thoughts. But after thinking about it a while I realized that protests raise awareness. You can bet that people aren't going to be forgetting about George Floyd anytime soon and I'm willing to bet that cops are going to be more cautious. Like you said, it's not getting to the root of the problem but changes do take place.

3 hours ago, Self Discovery said:

With the whole George Floyd thing happening I started to wonder if protests are actually the most effective way to create change. To me, it seems like it is not getting to the root of the problem. Sure, it’s striking, but I intuitively feel like it doesn’t truly create real change in the system. What are your thoughts on protests? What would be an alternative way to impact the world ?

It’s contextual. Depends on the nature of the protest, where it’s done, who does it, how long it lasts, organisers behind it, it’s disruption, the time of day it is done, the present social political climate and so forth. Many variables are involved and influence the effectiveness of a protest. They can be positive but also damaging. I suggest you critically revise all possible variables in a given protest and weigh against one another to produce a meaningful answer. 

I think protests can work if it is clear what is being asked for. For example work unions protested and eventually got what they wanted ie fair pay or whatever. The Floyd protests and Black Lives Matter dont have a clear manifesto for what they want, this was the problem with Occupy Wall Street as well. There are many things supporters of BLM could ask for, more investment in black communities, a better education system, police that kill unarmed people to be prosecuted, but none of this is clear. So there needs to be a level of organisation when it comes to protests. 

Awareness can be a factor, although im not sure it doesnt aggravate as many people as it inspires. But awareness can be a positive thing and i have heard a lot of white people attempt to understand black people more because of this situation and it drums into the collective consciousness that this is an issue to be considered. So its more of a last resort but to see real change there needs to be a clear plan regardless of whos protesting, otherwise its just flexing

They work , unfortunately although it might make some reforms in how police works, it has caused lots of hate toward different groups of society.

I doubt that there are that many people who understood anything out of this , just changed their point of view, or made already existing one even stronger.

@Rilles i think that’s the main issue. Acting out of fear and anger tends not to solve much. Although I do see the value in it, since like you said, it does get peoples attention. 

@ivory Good point. I do believe that changes are going to take place. Are they going to be sustainable changes is another question.

@Jacobsrw

I like how you zoomed in on the concept of protests and broke it down to its elements. Makes it clearer to see just how multidimensional and complex things are. The challenge is that most people are not going to think this through that way, especially from a state of anger. 

@Consept Yep. Right on. 

All 4 cops are now getting charged in George Floyd's murder, so that might partially answers your question.

Protests are definitely not the only route to change, but they can be a big part of it. Especially when the other routes aren't working.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

2 hours ago, outlandish said:

All 4 cops are now getting charged in George Floyd's murder, so that might partially answers your question.

Protests are definitely not the only route to change, but they can be a big part of it. Especially when the other routes aren't working.

Cant argue with results! There would need to be more structure going forward, but yes looks like they can make some kind of change 

5 hours ago, Self Discovery said:

I like how you zoomed in on the concept of protests and broke it down to its elements. Makes it clearer to see just how multidimensional and complex things are. The challenge is that most people are not going to think this through that way, especially from a state of anger.

Really this is the only real meaningful way to approach the such a complex issue.

That’s true. However, we must still invite others to entertain these ideas otherwise the protests they conduct will be mindless and damaging beyond the awareness they operate.

One must be aware of the implications that underpin their intentions as well as the actions that follow it.

17 hours ago, Consept said:

There would need to be more structure going forward

I assume you mean structural change? Yes, hopefully this is just the first step, and that this is an actual watershed moment in US history.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

To answer the question as simply as possible: Yes, history shows us that protests can indeed overthrow governments. One good example that you might want to read up on is the Iranian Revolution of 1979. Somewhere between 6 and 9 million people took to the streets to demand that the Shah step down from power, and they succeeded. 

Absolutely they work to create a shift in energy and awareness....

There's a big danger of regression rather than progression though.