outlandish

"How to Make this Moment the Turning Point for Real Change" by Barack Obama

32 posts in this topic

@SerpaeTetra Full disclaimer. I dont agree with the political views of the guy making the video but he is reading from articles and laying out a logical scenario. All the info is there. 24:09 mark gives details on the complaints. 27:28 for info on the shootings he was involved in. 

Edited by giglio

@giglioWow, this guy's evidence is so anecdotal vs statistically based.  The only stat he has is 20 complaints and his arguement about the 20 complaints is the most anecdotal I've ever heard. I won't entertain that. He uses words like a whole lot, many, most, vs. stats/hard numbers. He argues about the framing of the article versus addressing the meat and content. Also, I wasn't going to address this because it is irrelevant and a distraction, but I will anyways. At what point is a person no longer labeled a criminal? If you've ever gotten a speeding ticket in your life, then you are a criminal, using this man's definition. And no this did not address Ira Toles or the Leroy Martinez incident which Chauvin was involved in, but not the shooter. Here's what that looked like "

Leroy Martinez, 23, was spotted running from the scene while brandishing a handgun and the officers gave chase, according to local reports. Terry Nutter, one of the cops, shot Martinez.

An eyewitness challenged the police’s claim that Martinez was holding a gun when he was shot, according to Insider, which cited a report in the Star Tribune.

Delora Iceman told the Star Tribune that Martinez had dropped the pistol and held his arms in the air before cops gunned him down."  Yeah, I believe both cases need to be reopened.  Anywho, I'm done with this thread. I've said all I need to say.  Deuces!

A couple other points of hope in Obama’s comments. One is that protestors are more diverse than any other time in U.S. history. Second, a supermajority of people support the protestors - more than at any time in U.S. history for racial equality protests.

I’m encouraged to see the protests evolve. The overwhelming majority are peaceful protests and more and more videos of unity is arising. Videos of police chiefs marching with protestors, police and military taking a knee with protestors, white police officers hugging black protestors, national guardsmen dancing the Cupid shuffle with protestors etc. . . These are the types of events and messages needed to raise awareness, bring people together and start a movement toward progress in spite of those trying to escalate division and violence. 

@giglio oh and heres another statistical anomally.  https://theintercept.com/2020/06/02/minneapolis-police-union-bob-kroll-shootings/?fbclid=IwAR2iF7JQxdI3Eg9VJdMK1S5xJ-o00hsm66vOujBJdr0u77gALsnkjz9gRRs Apparently, Kroll the President of the Police Union has been involved in at least 3 shootings. Congratualtions, he is top 99 percentile of officers being involved in incidents where police firearms are discharged in the line of duty. Another trigger happy cop. You want to know why Chauvin got away with all the things he did for so long, there's your answer, as well as a  flawed system. Kroll's career and record should be investigated. 

Hey, I thought this was all Trumps fault.

Let's get rid of all ICE and all the police.

No borders or Police.....Huh, and then no Guns.  

Imagine a nation like that...….Ahhhhh Bliss.   LOL

On 6/5/2020 at 3:36 PM, Etherial Cat said:

A real Green dream come true. :x

Yea, in the darkesness there is some hope.

This week the commissioner of the NFL (football) stated they were wrong about Colin Kap and that Black Lives Matter. He was only half-ass sincere, yet that’s ok. It reflects a HUGE cultural change. The NFL owners and commissioners are all about money and for them to switch over to support the protestors is a huge win for cultural change. It is a major Orange organization evolving up to Green. There have also been some other lesser organizations joining in, yet this was the biggest one.

As a side note, one of the most heartwarming scenes I’ve seen: Trump ordered a massive fence be built around his White House to keep protestors as far away as possible (his personal wall). The fence has turned into a memorial for George Floyd and other victims of police brutality. It brought a tear to my eye when I saw it. A massive symbol of division and hate was converted into a massive symbol of unity and love.

FB0FF95B-3C29-4408-804D-A5B80E938FF4.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Bodigger said:

Hey, I thought this was all Trumps fault.

Of course not. It goes back hundreds of years. Trump has just intensified and inflamed an underlying pre-existing condition. 

10 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

It is a major Orange organization evolving up to Green.

What would classify a company moving up from orange to green? Is it really green if it's just for the image of the brand? Is this a "doing the right thing for the wrong reason" - type thing?

beep boop

50 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

What would classify a company moving up from orange to green? Is it really green if it's just for the image of the brand? Is this a "doing the right thing for the wrong reason" - type thing?

That’s a good point. My impression is that the owners/commissioners/media of the NFL are Orange centered. They see a cultural shift and don’t want to be on the wrong side. So I suppose it’s better to say that they acknowledge Green and do not have resistance to Green. Rather than they themselves transitioning to Green it would be more accurate to say they don’t want to lose Green customers. 

Yet I still think it is a major event because it removes major resistance to Green as well as a ton of conflict. If the NFL brings back Colin K., he jersey will hit record sales. Colin K. now transcends the sport of football and people that don’t even watch sports will be buying his jersey. I might even buy one. As well, the NFL may let players and coaches kneel during the anthem and this becomes normalized. It becomes ok to be ok with BLM. All of this allows for easier transition into green, but yea they are still at orange because they are motivated by their own relevance and profits. Roger Goddells speech did not look like he had an introspective moment of awakening to me. 

What would it look like if the NFL owners/commissioner were actually moving to green? It gets tricky because at the transition, they probably have mixed intentions of orange profit and green community. I would start looking for things that don’t obviously help them increase their revenue. 

In terms of “real green” transitioning. I think Starbucks actions a few years ago is a good example. There was an incident in which employees called the police on a black customer as they assumed his was dangerous. Instead of shaming or firing the employee, Starbucks shut down all there stores for a couple days to give all their employees diversity training. They got a lot of backlash from people criticizing them as being “politically correct” and they lost a lot of money. If they just put out a standard apology, reprimand the employee and put out a statement about how they value diversity - it would have been enough for the vast majority of people. Yet they went above and beyond. To me, that seemed like a genuine move.

@Serotoninluv I live 15 mins away from theWhite House, there is an energy of unity and hope over there, I've never experienced before. 

12 minutes ago, WisdomSeeker said:

@Serotoninluv I live 15 mins away from theWhite House, there is an energy of unity and hope over there, I've never experienced before. 

Thank you. You just made my day. ❤️ ? 

Another indicator of a turning point. NASCAR announced they will ban the confederate flag at all races, venues and properties. NASCAR is deeply popular within southern state white conservatives, the deepest of red Trump country. It’s pretty much the only place it is popular. For them to unify against the confederate flag is another sign of a cultural shift imo. As well, they took the below photo with NASCAR drivers standing in solidarity with the only full-time black NASCAR driver Darrell “Bubba” Wallace standing center with a black “I Can’t Breath, Black Lives Matter” shirt. . . And for a double punch. . . They are ALL wearing masks and standing six feet apart. All the NASCAR drivers to be standing six feet apart and wearing masks in solidarity in accordance to the recommendations of health experts is a show of support for health care providers and experts.

11D90B5A-6AB7-4A23-86A0-94BEFD45455E.jpeg