IJB063

What 5 Skills Should Every 20y.o Have?

10 posts in this topic

I’ve just finished listening to Leo’s 2 videos on “Life advice for young people” 

Near the end of the vid he lists a bunch of values and traits for living a good life

1. Creativity
  2. Love
  3. Intuition 
  4. Independence of Thought
  5. Clarity of Thought 
  6.  Life Long Learning 
  7. Reading
  8. Authenticity 
  9. Radical Open-mindedness
  10. Passion
  11. Vision 
  12. Ambition 
  13. Purpose
  14. Spirit 
  15. Fearlessness 
  16. Work Ethic
  17. Introspection
  18. Questioning

Etc...

Now I was thinking, how could you summarise these traits into specific skills that you can learn?

So what skills would you recommend some one starting there 20s learn? 

Thanks for any replies

Aside from any skills you have a natural pulling towards, i would say:

Learn how to create an online business and how to monetize any passion.

Sturdy digital marketing, sales, copywriting, social media etc.

Learn to make videos or podcast or write a blog/book.

Basically you learn something you are passionate about and how to make money out of it. 

I am currently in this journey and it is overwhelming at first but those are the best skills for anyone to learn right now.

There are hundreds of great courses out there teaching each one of those skills.

Having the skill of visualisation can pull you to the future. Even in bad times

it includes: creativity, intuition, vision, ambition purpose and you could argue spirit

Edit: you said 5 skills:
-a good studying habit and studying skills (non formal learning- for reading books or working on a project like coding)
-social/interpersonal skills 
-visualization and strategic thinking
-emotional "mastery" and understanding your psychology
-financial literacy (will give you the freedom to live by those values) 

and to aid you with such things and more, looking after your health (good sleep, diet, meditation, exercise etc)

I have a lot of work to do though haha

Edited by Moon

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi

2 hours ago, IJB063 said:
  1. Creativity
  2. Love
  3. Intuition 
  4. Independence of Thought
  5. Clarity of Thought 
  6.  Life Long Learning 
  7. Reading
  8. Authenticity 
  9. Radical Open-mindedness
  10. Passion
  11. Vision 
  12. Ambition 
  13. Purpose
  14. Spirit 
  15. Fearlessness 
  16. Work Ethic
  17. Introspection
  18. Questioning

Etc...

Now I was thinking, how could you summarise these traits into specific skills that you can learn?

So what skills would you recommend some one starting there 20s learn? 

I don´t think there are exercises that can teach you these traits in a very straight-forward way. I woudn´t compare them with doing push-ups or sit-ups, where you are doing 200 reps and now you gained +5 points in strength/creativity or passion. These are more general attitudes to life, which can be applied to any field of life.
We are creatures of habit. You become a creative person by doing creative things every day. You become a visionary by visioning on a daily basis. You become fearless by doing bold acts and so on.
And these habits can be applied to everything you do. Just make up your mind, which aspect is missing or suppressed in your life. After you´ve done that find solutions how you could change your way of doing things so it is more aligned with this trait that you want to develop.

Let´s say you want to become a more curious person with a questioning-frame of mind.
One way to approach this is to grab a notebook and go through your whole day writing down questions about everything you encounter. This can also be applied to a specific field of interest like finances or personal development.
It´s an approach to things and can thereby applied to anything you wish. It isn´t limited to a skill or subject.

@IJB063 

I don't normally write long posts but this question is true to my heart.

The important thing to know is that almost all of this stuff comes as you progress though life with awareness and diligent (but gentle) practice. All of these things are life long endeavors. You will always be improving whether you realize it or not. You will always have something to work on. But also realize that change is a slow process. Be patient, but be consistent.

The other important point I want to make is that external circumstances are always changing. You don't always get to choose what you want to work on. There are times when you will be alone and you'll have to exercise independence of thought, there are times where your job will demand all of your time and focus, there are times where you will be in love with another, there are times where where you'll be surrounded by people you don't like and have to practice acceptance and open-mindedness. Growth is not linear.

The last point I want to make is to use your time wisely. Don't waste it. Follow your passions and keep developing yourself. Your free time should be valued more than gold.

Now to address some of the ares of growth you mentioned...

Creativity

Creativity starts to flow the more you take care of your health and expose yourself to new things and places. Exercise, meditate, travel, explore, hang out with interesting people. Stay away from too much TV, surfing the web, and other junk entertainment. That shit will kill your creativity.

Love

Love comes with time. Be aware of your judgements and try not to entertain them so much. You are on your own unique path, and so are others. Once you come to realize that change in yourself comes slowly and gradually you aren't so quick to judge others because you understand the same is true for them. Understanding spiral dynamics at least on a basic level will help you out here.

Independence of Thought

Make your own decisions, take calculated risks, and give yourself the freedom to make mistakes. Learn from your mistakes and failures and don't be hard on yourself.

Clarity of Thought 

Meditate, exercise, eat healthy, and get plenty of rest.

Life Long Learning

Always have a book on hand and surround yourself with intelligent people. Get help when you need it whether it be a spiritual teacher or a therapist.

Authenticity

Don't try so hard for the acceptance of others. Figure out who you are and surround yourself with like minded people. Not everyone will like you, nor will you like everyone else. You need to be the selector, decide who you want to have in your life. Speak your mind and be yourself unapologetically.

Radical Open-mindedness

This comes with time and a true spiritual practice. If you are really on the ball, you are questioning your thoughts, beliefs, and world views. Over time you come to realize that everything you think you know was programmed into your brain and almost none of it is verifiable. The reality is that you know very little for certain. Nor does anyone else. The more you realize how little you know the more open minded you become. In short, opinions and judgements are garbage. None of that shit is true, you know nothing.

Fearlessness 

This is a life-long endeavor. You will always have fear and many fears may never go away. The important thing is that you really, really know yourself. Know all of your fears and start opening up to them as challenges are presented to you. Don't be in such a hurry to get rid of fear, courage is a life-long practice.

Introspection

Keep doing what you're doing. Over time introspection becomes a part of who you are. Initially, though, you will go through periods of confusion and doubt, wondering if you're doing this right. Sometimes you will be, and sometimes you'll be way off course. But, if you're starting at 20, by the time you are 30 you will be wise beyond your years. The mantra is "JUST KEEP GOING"

Questioning

Introspection and questioning are sort of the same thing. Just remain curious and you can't go wrong.

@Recursoinominado

18 hours ago, Recursoinominado said:

Aside from any skills you have a natural pulling towards, i would say:

Learn how to create an online business and how to monetize any passion.

Sturdy digital marketing, sales, copywriting, social media etc.

Learn to make videos or podcast or write a blog/book.

Basically you learn something you are passionate about and how to make money out of it. 

I am currently in this journey and it is overwhelming at first but those are the best skills for anyone to learn right now.

There are hundreds of great courses out there teaching each one of those skills.

So basically whatever you have a passion towards learn to monetise it. So:

1. Digital Marketing Skills
  2. Sales Skills
  3. Business Skills 
  4. Technical Skills 
  5. Public Speaking Skills

Can be done through videos, podcasts, blog, book etc... These can be advertised through digital marketing so social media, video marketing, understanding analytics data etc...

@Recursoinominado Good stuff, I just don’t currently have anything that I’m passionate about that I could make money from or sell yet

Im curious what business are you trying to creat now?

&

What courses are you using?

Thanks

@Felli

18 hours ago, Felli said:

Having the skill of visualisation can pull you to the future. Even in bad times

it includes: creativity, intuition, vision, ambition purpose and you could argue spirit

Yeah, I need to look into how to properly do it, I think it comes naturally when your trying do anything difficult 

Interesting idea listing the values

@Moon

17 hours ago, Moon said:

Edit: you said 5 skills:
-a good studying habit and studying skills (non formal learning- for reading books or working on a project like coding)
-social/interpersonal skills 
-visualization and strategic thinking
-emotional "mastery" and understanding your psychology
-financial literacy (will give you the freedom to live by those values) 

and to aid you with such things and more, looking after your health (good sleep, diet, meditation, exercise etc)

I have a lot of work to do though haha

1. Studying Skill
  2. Social Skills
  3. Visualisation Skill
  4. Emotional Intelligence Skills
  5. Finically Literacy

Good study habits great, working on that now, though college is shut with Covid

Anyone who wants some good study motivation and why you should study hard here’s a clip (I watch this biblically when I have work to do)

I don’t know about coding, I was thinking of taking one of those boot camps but it looked boring as fuck, but hey, if it makes you money it makes you money.

Social skills are a must, something I’m definitely working on

We’ve all been fucked over with the internet and social media because we’ve been deprived of face to face social interactions (at the very least we don’t have as much than we would of without social media) so we’re all less social

All social skills come down to empathy

Social Skills =Empathy 

I was just listening to this podcast and it goes into developing your social skills

Yeah I need to learn about visualisation, it’s something Robert Greene (the guy above) talks about in his books

Emotional intelligence is pretty much the master key that unlock every other door, so you can’t really escape becoming more emotionally adept and have a better grip of your own head if your doing self actualisation work

Financial Literacy 100%

What I do is every pay check I get I put 20% of it away, no exceptions, money buys time 

Health is hugely important especially sleep, this ted talk blew my mind, by Matthew Walker on the important end of sleep 

Good post @Moon thanks

@Calcifer

17 hours ago, Calcifer said:

I don´t think there are exercises that can teach you these traits in a very straight-forward way. I woudn´t compare them with doing push-ups or sit-ups, where you are doing 200 reps and now you gained +5 points in strength/creativity or passion. These are more general attitudes to life, which can be applied to any field of life.
We are creatures of habit. You become a creative person by doing creative things every day. You become a visionary by visioning on a daily basis. You become fearless by doing bold acts and so on.
And these habits can be applied to everything you do. Just make up your mind, which aspect is missing or suppressed in your life. After you´ve done that find solutions how you could change your way of doing things so it is more aligned with this trait that you want to develop.

Let´s say you want to become a more curious person with a questioning-frame of mind.
One way to approach this is to grab a notebook and go through your whole day writing down questions about everything you encounter. This can also be applied to a specific field of interest like finances or personal development.
It´s an approach to things and can thereby applied to anything you wish. It isn´t limited to a skill or subject.

Yes we are creatures of habit, that’s why we need skills to develop to we can align better with our values. These values exist on a gradient, there are some people who are more creative than others, there are some people who are more loving than others.

And you can become a more creative and loving person by practicing these skills and developing them into habits, as you said: 

“You become a visionary by visioning on a daily basis. You become fearless by doing bold acts and so on.
And these habits can be applied to everything you do. Just make up your mind, which aspect is missing or suppressed in your life. After you´ve done that find solutions how you could change your way of doing things so it is more aligned with this trait that you want to develop.“

That doesn’t mean it’s necessary intuitive what you need to be doing all the time though, hence the point of listing the skills

“It isn´t limited to a skill or subject.”

It can be 

@ivory

2 hours ago, ivory said:

@IJB063 

I don't normally write long posts but this question is true to my heart.

The important thing to know is that almost all of this stuff comes as you progress though life with awareness and diligent (but gentle) practice. All of these things are life long endeavors. You will always be improving whether you realize it or not. You will always have something to work on. But also realize that change is a slow process. Be patient, but be consistent.

The other important point I want to make is that external circumstances are always changing. You don't always get to choose what you want to work on. There are times when you will be alone and you'll have to exercise independence of thought, there are times where your job will demand all of your time and focus, there are times where you will be in love with another, there are times where where you'll be surrounded by people you don't like and have to practice acceptance and open-mindedness. Growth is not linear.

The last point I want to make is to use your time wisely. Don't waste it. Follow your passions and keep developing yourself. Your free time should be valued more than gold.

Now to address some of the ares of growth you mentioned...

Creativity

Creativity starts to flow the more you take care of your health and expose yourself to new things and places. Exercise, meditate, travel, explore, hang out with interesting people. Stay away from too much TV, surfing the web, and other junk entertainment. That shit will kill your creativity.

Love

Love comes with time. Be aware of your judgements and try not to entertain them so much. You are on your own unique path, and so are others. Once you come to realize that change in yourself comes slowly and gradually you aren't so quick to judge others because you understand the same is true for them. Understanding spiral dynamics at least on a basic level will help you out here.

Independence of Thought

Make your own decisions, take calculated risks, and give yourself the freedom to make mistakes. Learn from your mistakes and failures and don't be hard on yourself.

Clarity of Thought 

Meditate, exercise, eat healthy, and get plenty of rest.

Life Long Learning

Always have a book on hand and surround yourself with intelligent people. Get help when you need it whether it be a spiritual teacher or a therapist.

Authenticity

Don't try so hard for the acceptance of others. Figure out who you are and surround yourself with like minded people. Not everyone will like you, nor will you like everyone else. You need to be the selector, decide who you want to have in your life. Speak your mind and be yourself unapologetically.

Radical Open-mindedness

This comes with time and a true spiritual practice. If you are really on the ball, you are questioning your thoughts, beliefs, and world views. Over time you come to realize that everything you think you know was programmed into your brain and almost none of it is verifiable. The reality is that you know very little for certain. Nor does anyone else. The more you realize how little you know the more open minded you become. In short, opinions and judgements are garbage. None of that shit is true, you know nothing.

Fearlessness 

This is a life-long endeavor. You will always have fear and many fears may never go away. The important thing is that you really, really know yourself. Know all of your fears and start opening up to them as challenges are presented to you. Don't be in such a hurry to get rid of fear, courage is a life-long practice.

Introspection

Keep doing what you're doing. Over time introspection becomes a part of who you are. Initially, though, you will go through periods of confusion and doubt, wondering if you're doing this right. Sometimes you will be, and sometimes you'll be way off course. But, if you're starting at 20, by the time you are 30 you will be wise beyond your years. The mantra is "JUST KEEP GOING"

Questioning

Introspection and questioning are sort of the same thing. Just remain curious and you can't go wrong.

Great post @ivory

Thanks for the long detailed answer

I agree with everything you put

Appreciated