Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Itsokimok

Dangers of nature and solitude

10 posts in this topic

I'm just getting into the outdoors and really want to go on solitary walks in certain parks, nothing crazy really but there are a few city parks where I live that are very big and quiet. They feel like the wilderness because they're so expansive and you don't hear cars anymore when you go deep enough into them. You can get a good long hike and contemplate in a way that's hard to replicate in the concrete jungle. But these parks are full of coyotes and sometimes off leash, potentially aggressive dogs are running around.  When you look online, almost always there are tips against going to big secluded natural spaces alone. But how do you then do the work you can do in solitude? 

6 hours ago, Itsokimok said:

When you look online, almost always there are tips against going to big secluded natural spaces alone. But how do you then do the work you can do in solitude? 

It's never a good idea to go on long hikes alone. The recommended number of people is 4. If smth happens to one of the group, 2 go to get help, one stays to keep company. 

If you do go out alone, try to follow the designated paths and carry a fully charged phone. I think loud noise makers are more efficient when coping with wild animals.

City parks and outskirts are where the imbalance of nature is trying to resolve itself, so keep that in mind. A forest surrounded by forest is safer than a city by far. Coyotes with enough space for survival will rarely make themselves seen. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Get your feet dirty and start walking. Don't go off the path and carry a small backpack with water, snacks, and a sweater. What city are you in? Don't go towards the afternoon if its sketchy, but I really wouldn't be worried about losing yourself or getting attacked by wild animals. Once you get more experienced you can hit the mountains. I go backpacking all summer long with professional gear, just me and my dog in secluded nature. There is nothing to be afraid of. Just know your limits and build your skills. Learn to locate yourself with the Sun. Get a Compass, get a water bag with a hose, buy ankle high shoes. Just start and don't let fear stop you. 

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?

- Edgar Allen Poe 

Thank guys! I like the idea of a spray

@ajasatya  Yes! x)

@Itsokimok  This month me and my friends went to a forest to spend a night there, it was 3 of us. During the day, only one deer ran some 50 meters away from us, no other animals except the birds. Then we went to sleep around 1 am, we didnt have like a tent or anything, we were lying in sleeping bags on the ground with a waterproof sail under us. At 4 am, my friends started yelling next to me that they saw 2 black animals running around 7 meters away from us. Then these two animals went down the hill on which we were sleeping and they started making scary sounds like from jurassic park or something. We think it was wild boars, my grandma told me they can kill a human if they want, fortunately for us, they did not have kids around. 

My friend went on a solo retreat to a forest before this experience and he said he had a sleepless night every night and came back early. According to him, it is useless to make solo retreats like that, because you are just so scared that you wont be able to get out of your sleeping bag. 

If I was a yogi, I wouldnt go to Himalayas, there are like bears and tigers who are more dangerous than boars, a tiger can easily kill you and they do attack humans. I wonder how these guys handle it... 

Edited by bejapuskas