annonnimm32

Should we change the name Police into Civil Protection?

9 posts in this topic

I dont know if Covid had anything to do with this open war on the US soil, but a blood bath may yet be avoided.  I always had resentment twords police men since many did me harm . As i grew wiser i began to noticed why.  While in theory the police are there to protect the citizens, the name police implies a person serving a political authority : serving the politician, political servant, police.  While Civil Protection would serve the same thing, this  drastic change in name and perception,  would imply a step back from the political and give back the power to the citizen, ending this riot or at least containing it before things go too far ! Could this work? 

No, this couldn't work. No offense, but that is an extremely naive suggestion. This issue is way too complex to be solved like this. Why would changing the name "police" to "civil protection" do anything if everything else remained the same? If anything, this would make me even more suspicious as it smells of Orwellian Newspeak.

I am from Europe so I only have an outside perspective. But as far as I can tell, these riots are the consequence of bad policy making in pretty much every domain of government for years and decades. To be honest, considering the financial and racial inequality of the US and the downright criminality and incompetence of their political leaders I am surprised people weren't taking it to the streets way sooner. Basically every single institution of this country is incredibly flawed and needs to be reformed from the ground up.

Just one example: In Austria where I live, police officers have to go through 2+ years of training. I have read that in the US, it is something like 2-3 months. They don't have the necessary training to do their jobs properly, especially in a country where so many people carry guns that people have to put their hands on the steering wheel where the police officer can see them. There are so many things about the US that seem  just completely and utterly insane and would be unthinkable to the people living in my country. Making sure police are properly trained for the extremely stressful situations they are required to deal with would be one small step in the right direction, but not nearly enough to defuse this catastrophic situation.

Edited by KingCrimson

I really like the idea.  I think police have forgotten what they are supposed to be doing and that this could help.

Or even peace protection.  

3 hours ago, PepperBlossoms said:

I really like the idea.  I think police have forgotten what they are supposed to be doing and that this could help.

Or even peace protection.  

Peace keepers, yeah, i think ill stay with Civil Protection, peace would further antagonize them

Of course name change wont do anything on the long run, so as for their clothing, they should only have tough white body armor and a taser gun and protective goggles . That means less guns wave in people faces  unless is needed 

When a riot starts, civil protection units should megaphone this message : You have the right to protest, just do it peacefully!  We are here only as back up for you decent people, just making sure no one gets hurt!  If things dont cool it, about 5-10 cp units can move in putting out small fires, immobilize a few rioters while the protest is contained

@annonnimm32 I like your clothing idea. Reminded me off... 

star-wars-1213390_1920.jpg

Hey! Let's call them Defenders of the Dark Force. 

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?

- Edgar Allen Poe 

Yeah there would need to be a rethink in that direction, ultimately police should be working for the people, in reality they act as a gang protecting each other and taking whatever orders are passed down from politicians. The problem is more that humans are not at a level where they can handle this type of power and not be corrupted, maybe most can but enough cant that its not working properly unfortunately. I think we will get there though 

Law Enforcement ain't necessarily synonymous of justice in its poetic sense...