Mind of a beast

A question about my path

14 posts in this topic

I want to pursue dermatology in India. I am currently studying for its entrance exam. 

I have just discovered that my domain of mastery would be philosophy.(18/5/20)

Now my problem is should I continue to pursue dermatology or should I pursue philosophy at all cost?

Pursuing philosophy means I am following my bliss ( Joseph Campbell).
Pursuing dermatology means I am first satisfying Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

I don't know my stage in Spiral Dynamics. I might be yellow.

So help me please.
What should be my path?

Edited by Mind of a beast

No one could really just tell you what the best path for you is. It sounds like you want to do both things from the sound of it. You should take some time to reflect and think about where your development will be in 10-20 years. You will change quite a bit and from the sounds of it you're not in quick need of money since you will be studying. 

If you really are wanting to pursue philosophy as your ultimate goal, then you would benefit the most from starting now. If you put it off, then you will just get further and further away from ever actualizing your purpose. Also, you can make plenty of money with either field. One is not going to be better than the other necessarily if you plan to be the best. 

@Average Investor  Yes, you are right. I should start studying philosophy soon but I think my parents won't allow me to do that.

After thinking on this, my plan is to get dermatology branch and after that,  I will fully devote to philosophy.

Although I have to suffer not studying philosophy for 2-3 years but after that period is over,  I can go full throttle on philosophy.

@Mind of a beast Life is very short. I wouldn't do anything you can to not invest 2-3 years on something you don't want to do. It is all up to you on what you think is the best route. 

On 30/05/2020 at 9:46 AM, Mind of a beast said:

I want to pursue dermatology in India. I am currently studying for its entrance exam. 

I have just discovered that my domain of mastery would be philosophy.(18/5/20)

Now my problem is should I continue to pursue dermatology or should I pursue philosophy at all cost?

Pursuing philosophy means I am following my bliss ( Joseph Campbell).
Pursuing dermatology means I am first satisfying Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

I don't know my stage in Spiral Dynamics. I might be yellow.

So help me please.
What should be my path?

Why not do MD and Read philosophy? You can only serve one master. 

@Mind of a beast Getting really good and having people pay to learn from you. I am not as familiar with prospects in your country, but I found this online: 

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-career-opportunities-in-India-for-philosophy?share=1

Hit the continue reading part and it gives you some ideas. The thing is if you figure out something new or do your own thing you can get a lot better rewards than just doing what every other philosophy major does. It's worth the time to contemplate and see what you think of other prospects for it. 

@Average Investor  Thanks man. 

I think ultimate result of studying philosophy is enlightenment.

As an Indian , I have a very rich tradition of philosophers who were enlightened.

I think I should strive to become like them also.

What do you think?

@Mind of a beast The hard part is it is more of what you think and not me. I have struggle with the same thoughts while trying to forge my path as well. Imagine if you could create something that deters from their paths? Maybe reach a higher level? Innovate new ideas and ways of thinking? I would go into it wanting to become the best. Make a change and progress in your field. Something you can work to even if you have no Concerns for money. 

Don't settle. That is probably the biggest thing that I have learned with myself. There is always enough time to make a change and find what you are willing to commit your life to. 

You can find a philosopher on every street in india ? be a dermatologist and philosophies to ur clients while taking teeth in india, people love it here.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

8 hours ago, Mind of a beast said:

@Harikrishnan Taking teeth? You must have confused dermatologist with dentist.

Oh sorry ???

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi