The Don

We have to understand what's going on In America. The case of George Floyd.

28 posts in this topic

It seems like to me that this event put the fire to everything.

People have decades of accumulated anger due to the abuses of a toxic combination of stage blue and orange society. It needed to explode/be released, this is not only about race, but this is also about deep inequality and abuses in the system.

This is what happens when stage orange gets pushed to its extreme, the next step is to move towards green. This happened in France too a little less than 2 years ago. This is a general dynamic in the evolution of societies.

Edited by Raphael

was really hoping leo would comment on this situation. Maybe hes making a video or maybe feels it is not his place. But a lot of us look to him for perspective and I really would love to hear his perspective 

On 5/30/2020 at 9:35 AM, The Don said:

Hello.

First of all, George Floyd was a good man. A patriot. He talked openly about the problems of blacks in America. He was an honorable man.

George Floyd deserves justice. Those cops should be put on trial and the guilty ones should be going to jail. Period.

On the other hand, what happens in America right now is unbelievable. All these thugs, looters and rioters are not seeking justice. They are destroying houses, buildings, businesses, and entire cities. The Mayors did nothing to stop this cataclysm. They stood and watched the cities burn to the ground.

I've seen a viral video of a black man on Twitter, crying because his business was completely destroyed. It's horrifying. He worked his whole life and did his best to build that business. He worked hard to realize his American dream. His savings were there and the rioters took all of his money. That's so unfair, man. He planned to open on his business on Monday, and now he can't. His American dream was stifled, ruined by thugs.

As I was thinking about the situation of that poor black man, I imagined myself being in his place. I imagined his sadness. I imagined his worries about the future of his family and his children. How is he going to feed his family now?

What's happening right now in America is horrific.

These riots are not about justice.

Here's what Lara said:

Looting is not protesting. Burning down local homes and businesses is not protesting. How sad that the memory of #GeorgeFloyd has been lost in all of this.

What are we going to do about this? Are we going to learn something from this calamity?

Are we going to form new alliances and institutions that will prevent this future type of behavior?

We definitely have to do something about this.

Do we want to preserve our civilization or do we want to live in a third world place?

We have to decide, NOW.

And what exactly do you suggest doing about it?

The problem is really a systemic one, relying on 2 factors 

One is that the police have a lot of power in terms of being able to kill, according to statistics, officers have only been charged 4 times in the last 10 years for murder despite them killing a thousend people every year. I understand anyone can be carrying guns so it's a shoot first ask questions later mentally, esp given that there's no repurcussions. It can lead to a power trip from the officers and is a good argument against guns being legal. 

Second is that there is a lot of racism overt and implicit in America. The stars are that if youre a black man you're around 3.5x more likely to get shot by a police officer than a white man. This has been an ongoing thing in America, which has improved but still lingers in the psyche of many Americans, both in victim and perpetrater modes. 

So when you team up the fact that a group of people are given a license to kill and that some of these people maybe extremely racist you have what is playing out now and what will play out until some real reforms and rethinking is carried out. 

Riots and looting are from people have had to watch many people who look like them be continually killed and treated mis fairly. Remember Kaepernick took a peaceful knee about a very similar issue and lost his career and was ostracised by many as being unpatriotic, so how should you protest, what will actually bring change? If nothing changes and you're crticised for peaceful protests when a person is murdered, then there aren't many options left 

49 minutes ago, dkamenev said:

And what exactly do you suggest doing about it?

I suggest letting the National Guard doing its job.

I suggest people defending themselves.

This is the reason we need the 2nd amendment.

Me on the road less traveled.

@The Don So you are suggesting more violence as a remedy for the violence. 
I would suggest you to try and understand (like you have written in the post title) where this anger is coming from.
What is the underling problem that was triggered by Floyd's video, and what are the systematic failures that create the fear, anger and resentment that is blowing up right now?

Using force to keep public safety is necessary, but using it to suppress people's rage without addressing the root problems that cause it will ensure a bigger explosion in the feature. 

@The Don Also your few empty words about Floyd's murder stand in striking contrast with the emphasis and the emotions you put on looting and rioting. 
Property can and will get restored, people's life's won't.